curly, kinky, frizzy hair

it might not work for everyone, but when i chemically strighten my own hair, i use the stuff that black ladies use to relax their hair. it's the equivalent of giving yourself a home perm, but without rollers, and it's much easier, it's a lot like dying your hair at home. it costs anywhere from 5-9 dollars a box, and if you follow the directions properly, you won't fry your hair. i've been doing it regularly to my hair since i was about 18, and i'm 25 now. makes life much easier.

nope. i'm polish and russian. crazy pale white. but i have very thick, very curly, coarse red hair. it would probably work well in your hair.

you can check out my myspace and see some (old) pictures of my hair and see how it looks when i blow it out vs what happens when i letit air dry.

www.myspace.com/aviva

Does anyone use Pantene Pro V Relaxed and Natural? Thats the line for women of color, and I was thinking about trying it out. Does it work?

organic said:
it might not work for everyone, but when i chemically strighten my own hair, i use the stuff that black ladies use to relax their hair. it's the equivalent of giving yourself a home perm, but without rollers, and it's much easier, it's a lot like dying your hair at home. it costs anywhere from 5-9 dollars a box, and if you follow the directions properly, you won't fry your hair. i've been doing it regularly to my hair since i was about 18, and i'm 25 now. makes life much easier.

I used to do that too, I just havent been taking as good care of my hair as I used too :/ I used to use relaxer, it helped so much.

organic said:
nope. i'm polish and russian. crazy pale white. but i have very thick, very curly, coarse red hair. it would probably work well in your hair.

you can check out my myspace and see some (old) pictures of my hair and see how it looks when i blow it out vs what happens when i letit air dry.

www.myspace.com/aviva
OM Organic I love your hair color! It remind me of little mermaid Ariel.I :love: her! Anyway minelook pretty silky and straight in the photo, but it actually get the frizz in the rain as well...:hrmm: ( my mom has straight and my dad has curlly so my bro and I got the combo of the 2, but mine is actually pretty straight) I use Thermasilk shampoo and conditioner. Blow dry and make sure it's very dry before I go to bed.My little bro's more curlly so we shave his hair super short, but I don't think any of the ladies want to do that:Push: but I recommend Thermasilk!

My hair is wavy/thick. The slightest humidity makes it frizzy! I use the Martrix Sleek Look line. I also flat iron it. I have considered chemical staightening, but I have blonde highlights.

Edit for spelling

abandonedimages said:
Does anyone use Pantene Pro V Relaxed and Natural? Thats the line for women of color, and I was thinking about trying it out. Does it work?

I used to do that too, I just havent been taking as good care of my hair as I used too :/ I used to use relaxer, it helped so much.
I used to and it worked great but it strips your hair color (if you get your hair colored).

I had my hair japanese tr straightening system at a salon in downtown. While the price was on the high side I loved it. It lasted about a year with minor touch ups and took off 1.5 hours of hair time in the morning.

I am ready to go back for a new treatment since my hair has gone mad and I don't have the nerve to shave it all off!

Life without hair would be so much easier.

abandonedimages said:

I use it (and I'm a woman of color) and I love it! I've tried MANY different brands and end up coming back! I was going to suggest using a relaxer as an earlier poster suggested-- you could use the ones that are mild for fine hair and follow the directions-- you should be good for at least 6 months!

Everevereve said:
OM Organic I love your hair color! It remind me of little mermaid Ariel.I :love: her! Anyway minelook pretty silky and straight in the photo, but it actually get the frizz in the rain as well...:hrmm: ( my mom has straight and my dad has curlly so my bro and I got the combo of the 2, but mine is actually pretty straight) I use Thermasilk shampoo and conditioner. Blow dry and make sure it's very dry before I go to bed.My little bro's more curlly so we shave his hair super short, but I don't think any of the ladies want to do that:Push: but I recommend Thermasilk!

thank you, that's very sweet of you. it took me many, many years of dying it black(and other colors) to finally stop hating it. now i like it most of the time :smile:

abandonedimages said:

...i've never used it, but always wondered if it works well in folk's hair...i do know one thing, just because it's good for one, doesn't make it good for all. my stylist uses Affirm relaxer and Motions shampoo/conditioner on my hair.

I use Motions on my daughter's hair as well. Her hair is crazy...once wet, it immediately curls up, but when it's dry...it's hella thick...she's got a huge 'fro when I pick it out.

I have medium length very tight curly,frizzy hair(people used to call me shirly temple when I was small). I use the Samy shampoo,conditioner,also anti frizz (my mom got it at costco i Love it!)... When I wash my hair I use ALOT of conditioner ( I go through a bottle every 2 weeks),I leave the conditoner for about half hour.Then I comb my hair inside the shower with the conditioner on. After I wash most of it out,and put frizz serum,and put a bit of Garnier Fructis gel.

Jadore said:
I have medium length very tight curly,frizzy hair(people used to call me shirly temple when I was small). I use the Samy shampoo,conditioner,also anti frizz (my mom got it at costco i Love it!)... When I wash my hair I use ALOT of conditioner ( I go through a bottle every 2 weeks),I leave the conditoner for about half hour.Then I comb my hair inside the shower with the conditioner on. After I wash most of it out,and put frizz serum,and put a bit of Garnier Fructis gel.
your hair looks amazing too!

MagicalKarmaPrincess said:
I had my hair japanese tr straightening system at a salon in downtown. While the price was on the high side I loved it. It lasted about a year with minor touch ups and took off 1.5 hours of hair time in the morning.

I am ready to go back for a new treatment since my hair has gone mad and I don't have the nerve to shave it all off!

Life without hair would be so much easier.

Anyone know where I can get that done? Anywhere near Raleigh?