curly, kinky, frizzy hair

bagnshoofetish

Oh. Gee.
O.G.
Feb 12, 2006
Thats me. I have mine chemically straightened every 6 months or so but only to control the curls. (it blow drys straight really nice!) But when I just want to wear it curly out of the shower, I still need to use products to tame it - to define the curls and eliminate the fuzziness. I use a Redken product called Curl (something or rather - I'm out at the moment) and the John Frieda Frizz-Ease products seem to work okay.

Anyone else out there have my problem and what do you use?

I have natural wavy hair that gets frizzy and humidity is my enemy. I heat style it with a flat iron straight. I've never thought of the chemical straightening before. How much does it cost and does it control frizz in humidity?

my hair in naturally ringlet-curly and frizz-prone and gets frizzy easily in the Georgia heat and humidity.

i've finally got my routine perfected to tame it: shampoo with my head flipped over and the shower, rinse, and ALWAYS condition. do so in the same flipped-over position because it helps create volume at the roots that the curls might otherwise weigh down. leave a taaaad bit of conditioner in, and you can use any high-quality shampoo and conditioner (i've never really found one that made that much of a difference). then, get out of the shower with hair still pretty wet and your head still flipped, rub in Frederic Fekkai belles boucles curl lotion. towl off the excess moisture carefully so you don't wipe off all the product, flip your head back over, and let it dry naturally - works perfectly EVERY time. the fekkai stuff is the best curly hair product that i've tried, and i've tried most of the famous brands out there. it gets rid of the frizz without making your hair crunchy. it didn't work perfectly the first time i used it, it's almost like it had to build up a little for full effect. another product i like is Aussie Sprunch Spray, which is much less expensive. it'll make your hair a little crunchy, but you can work out the crunchiness with your hands as it dries. it's a little stronger on the frizz.

lol i could write a book about curly hair, i swear. i do highly recommend the head flip for everyone, though. i got a girl with straight hair at my work to try it and even she loved it.

bagnshoofetish said:
Thats me. I have mine chemically straightened every 6 months or so but only to control the curls. (it blow drys straight really nice!) But when I just want to wear it curly out of the shower, I still need to use products to tame it - to define the curls and eliminate the fuzziness. I use a Redken product called Curl (something or rather - I'm out at the moment) and the John Frieda Frizz-Ease products seem to work okay.

Anyone else out there have my problem and what do you use?

We use the exact same products! I also use BIOSILK silk therapy products. My hair is really, really thick and naturally curly. I used to get teased when I was younger, all the kids called my hair Poofy. . .

:hrmm:

I dont have the money to get it chemically straightened that often, but I hand straighten it a lot.

allison said:
I have natural wavy hair that gets frizzy and humidity is my enemy. I heat style it with a flat iron straight. I've never thought of the chemical straightening before. How much does it cost and does it control frizz in humidity?
The process my hairstylist uses is from Redken. It takes a couple of hours and is waaaaay cheaper than the Japanese method. (costs about $150 - $200) Lasts a long time too!

I have thick ringlet curls that get very frizzy in rain or humidity. I used Frizz Ease for years and was never really happy with it. Now I use the Biosilk serum first and then Aveda be curly next. I like the Aveda because it gives the curl definition without that crunchy, wet effect of other products. I might need something with a little more hold once the summer humidity comes though.

I'm almost out of biosilk so I might check out the Paul Mitchell super skinny when I go to Trade secret this weekend. Thanks for the tip!

abandonedimages said:
We use the exact same products! I also use BIOSILK silk therapy products. My hair is really, really thick and naturally curly. I used to get teased when I was younger, all the kids called my hair Poofy. . .

:hrmm:

I dont have the money to get it chemically straightened that often, but I hand straighten it a lot.
I also use the Biosilk stuff ocassionally. It does tend to build up though. Leaves your hair soooo soft!