Crossgrain leather

lcaddict

Jun 16, 2015
What do you guys think of Coach's new crossgrain leather? I just bought a blush colored Nolita satchel in crossgrain leather and I just feel that the leather is subpar when compared to saffiano. They're both structured, but I feel that the crossgrain is flimsier. Also, the brown lining of the leather is coming off already, showing the white underneath.

Reactions: GetmeBag
I personally feel it can be prone to picking. Now my older daughter has a Bennett satchel in it and has no issues, like most things probably depends on the bag somewhat.

To summarize my thoughts, i think it's alright but would not go out of my way to buy a bag in it, i much prefer other leather choices. Glove tanned being my #1.

I hate it. I think it looks like plastic. It is too flimsy for a textured leather. I have a couple of saffiano items which seem much nicer IMO.

I have the taxi tote in winter floral from last winter, it is cross grain and has corner wear, not happy, love the bag, love the print, hate the "leather" - use that word loosely

I say it depends on the bag, I have a Kylie crossbody in the crossgrain, and it is fine. I like it for the more structured bags, like the Kitt Carryall from Spring. But I wouldn't want it as my only bag option. It is also that it wipes clean and easier to maintain.

I say it depends on the bag, I have a Kylie crossbody in the crossgrain, and it is fine. I like it for the more structured bags, like the Kitt Carryall from Spring. But I wouldn't want it as my only bag option. It is also that it wipes clean and easier to maintain.

I agree with this. I picked up a (FP delete) mini-skinny from the outlet yesterday, in green crossgrain, and it was actually a little softer than I expected. Meanwhile the crossgrain on the MFF Cora is stiffer, which you do kind of need for the structure, but they really do the metallic well on it.

Overall I'm not a crossgrain fan, but at the same time, some of the pebbled they're using (and I'm talking FP here too) doesn't feel as nice as before either. :-/

I agree with this. I picked up a (FP delete) mini-skinny from the outlet yesterday, in green crossgrain, and it was actually a little softer than I expected. Meanwhile the crossgrain on the MFF Cora is stiffer, which you do kind of need for the structure, but they really do the metallic well on it.

Overall I'm not a crossgrain fan, but at the same time, some of the pebbled they're using (and I'm talking FP here too) doesn't feel as nice as before either. :-/

Sadly, i agree there too.

I was just in a Coach outlet store last weekend and was so disappointed in many of the bags because they looked terrible in the crossgrain.

I could see it being alright in a SLG but not for a handbag, looked and felt cheap to me.

I dunno.. i feel bad even saying this but i grabbed some Boutique ones at a department store the other day and was taken aback by how they felt, i even said to dh feel these!

Not much different than the MFF... it's a strange leather, and not one i prefer on a bag at 300$+
To me it just doesn't have the feel of quality leather at all, feels quite "plasticky". I'm turning towards the more lush and thick leathers so for me it's just personal preference.
If Coach is trying to "train" it's customers to enjoy this crossgrain leather they may have an uphill battle on their hands because the bags are expensive but don't feel like they are.

Of course as always, just my own personal opinion.

I haven't warmed up to either saffiano or crossgrain. I did buy a crossgrain cosmetic bag and I am okay with the accessory but I am not sure about a bag.

I realize that you have to be careful of glove-tanned leather in bad weather and saffiano and crossgrain offer a solution, but I have few patent bags so I am okay in bad weather conditions.