Collection Ruined......

So sad to hear about your experience. And good for you! - it's inspiring that you're looking on the bright side and counting blessings.

It's just "things" but..we love our things we collect. And it's hard when it changes in a heartbeat. I've been through a flooded home as well and lost the precious family things so I know how that feels.

I hope that insurance company comes through. We're doing that back-and-forth insurance thing right now with water damage. *sigh* Best of luck!

Kellybag said:
Would everyone who reads this be willing to stick a few dollars or so in an envelope and mail it to Celesus, so she can treat herself to a new handbag? I would. I feel we can all band together on this to give her a pick me up.
It would make for a nice thread and she can keep us posted on everything. then she can post her new bag and think of us for caring during her difficult time.

Kellybag,

I am so completely flattered by the thought, I am still crying like a baby over all the support I have gotten over this whole ordeal. What would matter more to me , than the selfless thought of donation , is maybe for every one to hug their famiely tonight , and maybe every one post one of their most tresured pictures of friends and famiely , so we can all be proud !

ilovechloe said:
I’m so sorry this happened to you; I hope everything gets resolve and your bags and shoes can be saved. We had something similar happen a few years ago an earth quake broke the main water line in our basement were we had stored loads of family photos so now I have no photos of my children from new born till about the ages of 13 or so, and no photo of my mom who passed away when I was 6. I would gladly give up all my handbags to have those photos back again. You have a wonderful family and together you will get through this and come out stronger. Hugs to you and yours

- I can not agree with you more , some of the things I almost lost made me weak... I have my grandfather's artwork and father's art in tact..my precious photos , and my engagement pictures .
I am so sorry for your loss, i know it's awful because photos just cant be replaced .
- thanks for the empathy:shame:

Celesus said:
The Fact that Life can be so unpredictable is an understatement. Just yesterday I had a beautiful collection of designer shoes, clothing and handbags and today I have a completely ruined home and very few salvageable items. Yesterday a water-main broke in our wall, the back wall of my closet; the pipe went right through the drywall in our master bedroom, while we were at work. We returned to about an inch of water throughout our home.
When I got the call from my Fiancé, I must admit, as we know how important our babies are to us , I first thought of pictures of our engagement, my Grandmother who passed away's heartwarming letter to me at collage, my artwork, some from my father, some of my own ... all those things that could never be bought. I surprised myself; I raced home hoping that I could salvage the important parts of what really make up my life. A good deal of the precious moments were salvageable, apart from some ink that bled on some letters , and slightly damaged canvas in the art work, there are a few hopelessly water logged pictures, but for the most part, I still have most of my mementos. My closet is another story. Not everything was damaged, but I don’t think I can ever post pictures of what happens to the leather strap of a Noe once it's been drenched with a steady stream of water for God knows how long. All told , there are about 12 ruined pieces including my brand new Biscayne Bay PM in Monogram Vernis Pearle ... I bought it on Wednesday. My Chanel Cambon is a sopping wet rag and my much loved Alma has gone to its final resting place, among others. There are some pieces that survived, and I am grateful for that, but what I really learned is that I am so lucky to be blessed with a wonderful family and people that love me and support me. Things like this I suppose make you see things differently, I was so numb with loss of a collection I have spent ten years building, but I can not IMAGINE how all those people who lost their home , and livelihood in New Orleans and Louisiana , not to mention people they love must feel... My loss seems so small and minute. Our insurance company is also refusing to cover the water extraction and the company they sent over told us that it was a base price of $5000 but likely more. We told them no thanks, and banded together as a family, my fiancé and my 2 step kids, rented 4 rug doctors and went to town all night, and have managed to salvage most, if not all of the furniture. I surprised myself with how this prissy, girly high-maintenance thing that I am could handle the nasty, sweaty grimy work, and feel proud that we did it ...together, and faced a horrible situation as a family and I really do think that we will always be stronger for it, and I am heartsick over the loss of handbags and shoes and silks that will never be the same, but the people I love are more special to me than ever.
I am greatly sorry if this is terribly long-winded, I just hope some of you understand the need to just grieve out loud ... but I’ll be back at Saks 5th av... Refilling that almost fresh start closet of mine, because the waters always recede ... leaving you all the wiser.
Thanks Ladies , I know you guys understand the feeling .

OMG !!! I am so sorry to hear this. It must be a nightmare,please dont let this break your spirit, The most important thing is that physically you and your wonderful fiance are intact. Everything else can be replaced.
I have a close friend who lost everything she owned, all her funiture,papers ,clothing and her 3 cats in a fire, a couple of years ago, she and her husband escaped with only the clothes on thier backs. It took a lot of time and she faced many challanges but thank god she was able to pick up and start a new life with the support of her family, friends and commuity.

You are showing a lot of inspiration and strength this will help you make it through.

Please keep us posted

Pradasmeadow said:
OMG !!! I am so sorry to hear this. It must be a nightmare,please dont let this break your spirit, The most important thing is that physically you and your wonderful fiance are intact. Everything else can be replaced.
I have a close friend who lost everything she owned, all her funiture,papers ,clothing and her 3 cats in a fire, a couple of years ago, she and her husband escaped with only the clothes on thier backs. It took a lot of time and she faced many challanges but thank god she was able to pick up and start a new life with the support of her family, friends and commuity.

You are showing a lot of inspiration and strength this will help you make it through.

Please keep us posted

Oh god ... I can not imagine losing my cats ... apart from my bags .. those are my CHILDREN.. I have 3 as well...I could have lost more ... you are so right... I would give up every single thing i own so that my kitties were alright.

oh my goodness. i am so sorry. i wish there was something i can do for you. i am glad that you and your family are ok. and that you were able to salvage some things. i can't even begin to imagine how difficult this must be. but its these trying times that make us stronger in some oddly strange way. stay optimistic. is there anything that i can do? if i lived close to you, i'd be there helping you clean up.

awwww, that's SO horrible!

I'm glad to hear you're being really strong about it, I would probably cry a LOT.

I sincerely hope that you get through this ordeal, and come out of it doing even better than before.

RIP to your precious bags!

I'm very sorry that this happened to you. I'm glad you have a great outlook. Like you said, you will eventually replace your collection. You're right ... family is most important. I wish you all the best.

I am so sorry....its so horrible. If I can give you some advise....do not accept no from the insurance company. PUSH PUSH PUSH...speak to everyone and anyone until you get what you want. Sometimes if you go to the higher ups you will get somewhere. I wish you the best.

Good luck
Selena

I don't know what to say. I am so sorry to hear this and I hope that everything goes well in repairs and what not. I am glad that nothing else was damaged. :sad2: