Coca's bayswater

I really dislike the zipper Bays. As some of you know, I posted my new Johnny Coca Bays in oxblood in the summertime. I still love it!
But the zipper Bays looks too much like a Birkin. Aside from the zipper the rest really bothers me. If I want a Birkin, I will buy a Birkin. Also, the shoulder strap is not practical - it is too thin for such a bag that has such capacity to carry so much. Imagine the pain on your shoulder carrying all your stuff, and relying on a thin strap on your shoulder - unless you put it over a heavy coat.

As usual stock photos don't do the bags justice, look at Bagcherrys stud bays reveal - her leather is lush

I think it may be too stiff for you, I like some structure, but not too much iykwim? Whereas hobos for me, should be more slouchy

I think I would like it better if it came in NVT leather. This leather gives some structure, but slouches at the same time.
Hehehe. I agree about hobos. They need to be hugable. [emoji4]

The new zipped bays reminds me of the Bays Tote, which I have. The new style is not bad looking and I like the fact that it has a zip, but it is not for me. I find the new bags too stiff and they really are more reminiscent of Celine rather than Mulberry.

Yes. I feel the same about the new style.
Oh, and the Bays tote in your avatar is very beautiful. [emoji4]

I really dislike the zipper Bays. As some of you know, I posted my new Johnny Coca Bays in oxblood in the summertime. I still love it!
But the zipper Bays looks too much like a Birkin. Aside from the zipper the rest really bothers me. If I want a Birkin, I will buy a Birkin. Also, the shoulder strap is not practical - it is too thin for such a bag that has such capacity to carry so much. Imagine the pain on your shoulder carrying all your stuff, and relying on a thin strap on your shoulder - unless you put it over a heavy coat.

Glad to know, that I am not the only one who thinks that the shoulder strap is very thin. Also, I am not a fan of the way how the strap is attached to the bag. I have a bag that has a similar attachment and I think it looks awkward when carried by the strap - it looks somehow disbalanced.
Admittedly, the strap bothers me more than the Birkin resemblance. [emoji3]

Reactions: Louliu71
I think I would like it better if it came in NVT leather. This leather gives some structure, but slouches at the same time.
Hehehe. I agree about hobos. They need to be hugable. [emoji4]

Yes. I feel the same about the new style.
Oh, and the Bays tote in your avatar is very beautiful. [emoji4]

Glad to know, that I am not the only one who thinks that the shoulder strap is very thin. Also, I am not a fan of the way how the strap is attached to the bag. I have a bag that has a similar attachment and I think it looks awkward when carried by the strap - it looks somehow disbalanced.
Admittedly, the strap bothers me more than the Birkin resemblance. [emoji3]

Yes, I completely agree with you about how the shoulder strap is attached, I can only imagine it being awkward when worn. I would love to hear someones input who may have this bag, on how it really sits and feels. I really love my Coca Bayswater (no strap) and the strap is such a great idea, but I am so glad I did not hold out on waiting in case a version with a strap came out, because I don't think I would be happy with this strap.

Yes, I completely agree with you about how the shoulder strap is attached, I can only imagine it being awkward when worn. I would love to hear someones input who may have this bag, on how it really sits and feels. I really love my Coca Bayswater (no strap) and the strap is such a great idea, but I am so glad I did not hold out on waiting in case a version with a strap came out, because I don't think I would be happy with this strap.

What do you think of the leather on your new bays? Any changes such as softening, darkening or fading for that matter, scuffs and scratches - does it need any babying or is it quite hardy?

Tia

What do you think of the leather on your new bays? Any changes such as softening, darkening or fading for that matter, scuffs and scratches - does it need any babying or is it quite hardy?

Tia

The bag is holding up very well. I like structured bags and it has remained structured. Little scuffing if any, and the bottom still looks great despite some concern about no feet. It still looks brand new with the exception of some very mild wear on the handles from the oil on my hands which is too be expected. I am very very pleased with the look of the bag, and the functionality of it.

The bag is holding up very well. I like structured bags and it has remained structured. Little scuffing if any, and the bottom still looks great despite some concern about no feet. It still looks brand new with the exception of some very mild wear on the handles from the oil on my hands which is too be expected. I am very very pleased with the look of the bag, and the functionality of it.

Thanks for that, I'm still undecided on what colour

Thanks for that, I'm still undecided on what colour

Mine is oxblood and I really love it. Before the price increase (here in Canada) I also bought the clay with burgundy interior ( I think it's called clay , it's the taupy one). I don't use it as often as I worry about colour transfer with jeans (which I wear a lot). But even that bag has held up incredibly well, including the edges and the bottom even with no feet. I spray with Colonil and use the colonil cream. Have fun deciding , although I do agree it's very hard when there are so many colour options!

Mine is oxblood and I really love it. Before the price increase (here in Canada) I also bought the clay with burgundy interior ( I think it's called clay , it's the taupy one). I don't use it as often as I worry about colour transfer with jeans (which I wear a lot). But even that bag has held up incredibly well, including the edges and the bottom even with no feet. I spray with Colonil and use the colonil cream. Have fun deciding , although I do agree it's very hard when there are so many colour options!

Thanks, it used to be easy as I was conservative with colours and it was always black, then black or oak and then black, oak or midnight and now........any of the above [emoji51] a little less conservative [emoji23]

What is it with these new generation designers having so much ego and not enough imagination? First Hedi Slimane for YSL and now this guy. If he is so clever, he can impress everyone with his own genius designs but you don't take the Mona Lisa and repaint her face. I don't like any of his new designs because they are unremarkable and the new bays looks like some fakes I've been seeing around. The thing that drew me to Mulberry was the English country charm, which none of Coca's bags have. I'm over the trapeze flappy sides. So many bags have them. Removing the original classic designs or vandalising them and making seasonal styles instead makes Mulberry an overpriced contemporary brand. Not a premier brand.

I'm so glad I managed to score a mini Cara just recently. Sadly I don't own a bays :sad:

Last edited:
What is it with these new generation designers having so much ego and not enough imagination? First Hedi Slimane for YSL and now this guy. If he is so clever, he can impress everyone with his own genius designs but you don't take the Mona Lisa and repaint her face. I don't like any of his new designs because they are unremarkable and the new bays looks like some fakes I've been seeing around. The thing that drew me to Mulberry was the English country charm, which none of Coca's bags have. I'm over the trapeze flappy sides. So many bags have them. Removing the original classic designs or vandalising them and making seasonal styles instead makes Mulberry an overpriced contemporary brand. Not a premier brand.

I'm so glad I managed to score a mini Cara just recently. Sadly I don't own a bays :sad:

I think this is my issue, lili; I'd rather they created a whole new design, rather than tinker with a classic (especially my beloved Bays!) [emoji53] I can see that the current Bays doesn't work for everyone, but I'd like to see fresh, new styles - still in the Mulberry tradition - as Emma Hill did with the Alexa, Lily etc. If I want wings I'll go elsewhere! Oh, and please, please give us back the iconic Mulberry tree! [emoji269]

I think this is my issue, lili; I'd rather they created a whole new design, rather than tinker with a classic (especially my beloved Bays!) [emoji53] I can see that the current Bays doesn't work for everyone, but I'd like to see fresh, new styles - still in the Mulberry tradition - as Emma Hill did with the Alexa, Lily etc. If I want wings I'll go elsewhere! Oh, and please, please give us back the iconic Mulberry tree! [emoji269]
Oh I hear you, Mayfly. I loved Emma's designs so much - Alexa was iconic. Even the later designs like Cara still very much carried the Mulberry aesthetic. I don't recognise Mulberry in the current models.
I don't understand why the tree logo had to go...

To give maybe another perspective... I think they are probably looking at attracting a new clientele, which I personally cannot say is not working, as I just got one of the new models (the Darley satchel) which is mi first Mulberry bag, but may not be the last

Before I was not so attracted to the brand, precisely because the Ol' English countryside vibe did not appeal to me, plus mainly I found the designs (such as the Alexa) too fussy for me (while looking beautiful no doubt on others). The new pared down designs (i.e., the gorgeous bucket bag) are much more attractive to me, while still offering some of the Mulberry signatures that I'd covet, such as the beautiful hardwearing grained leathers, classic colors such as oxblood, and the postman's lock.

But I agree they should maybe focus on new styles that are on trend while keeping with the brands' heritage, rather than messing with old and tested well-loved designs.

To give maybe another perspective... I think they are probably looking at attracting a new clientele, which I personally cannot say is not working, as I just got one of the new models (the Darley satchel) which is mi first Mulberry bag, but may not be the last

Before I was not so attracted to the brand, precisely because the Ol' English countryside vibe did not appeal to me, plus mainly I found the designs (such as the Alexa) too fussy for me (while looking beautiful no doubt on others). The new pared down designs (i.e., the gorgeous bucket bag) are much more attractive to me, while still offering some of the Mulberry signatures that I'd covet, such as the beautiful hardwearing grained leathers, classic colors such as oxblood, and the postman's lock.

But I agree they should maybe focus on new styles that are on trend while keeping with the brands' heritage, rather than messing with old and tested well-loved designs.
Thank you so much for pointing this out because this is exactly what I think. It's important to understand why Mulberry needs to change because their profit last year is was a disaster. The change really helps bringing in more customers. I definitely see more people posting about Mulberry new designs on social media these days, compared to say last year. As a company, they have to aim at the majority. The brand is heading to the international market and I think its doing well. The new styles speak to a larger group of people.
Having said that, the old styles are still pretty. But clearly the company recognises that they might to speak to people internationally. It's fine to have an opinion, but please do put yourselves in their shoes as well, and try to understand why they have to have these changes.

I feel like theres been enough debates about this in this thread already and I will not add anymore, or sit here and argue with anyone. I gave my 2 cents above and I'll stop there. In the end of the day and like I said before, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is ok to have an opinion but please do respect others' as well because I know there are people out there, including myself adore the new styles. We want to encourage people and congratulate their new choices, not giving too much negative vibe in this forum.