Coca's bayswater

Damn no one even wants to wait and see the bags in person before deciding if they like it

I understand your point. I have seen the 3 new styles that are now on sale and I am disappointed by them and wouldn't consider buying. Unfortunately though it's not as simple as saying "classic" good, "new" bad. The classic styles haven't been selling well - as evidenced by the lack of full priced reveals on this forum, and brand has been struggling, profits have fallen. There have also been quality issues too with some of the current leathers. It's a mess all round sadly.

It's as though they don't know the brand at all; to me no cloche = special purchase & big side wings/incorrect plaque = dodgy replica. Someone that knew the brand wouldn't incorporate these features into a full price Bayswater IMO.

I'm wondering whether "New Bays" will be a replacement or sold alongside the current Bayswater, I'm hoping the latter of course. It would be a shame (& brand suicide) to replace an iconic, bestselling design with an awkward hybrid.

I was looking at Nicholas Knightly's new Mallet & Co range on Net-a-Porter earlier & would be much more inclined to pick one of those up than anything Johnny Coca has produced so far.

I understand your point. I have seen the 3 new styles that are now on sale and I am disappointed by them and wouldn't consider buying. Unfortunately though it's not as simple as saying "classic" good, "new" bad. The classic styles haven't been selling well - as evidenced by the lack of full priced reveals on this forum, and brand has been struggling, profits have fallen. There have also been quality issues too with some of the current leathers. It's a mess all round sadly.

I agree, the Bays is a classic but how many people are actually purchasing full price? My SA will email me randomly telling me they are having 15% for a couple of days for certain clients, out of the blue.

And the Outlers have soooo much inventory, every color, every style, every leather.

I appreciate the effort to refresh the brand a little. A lot of "iconic" bags have been refreshed lately like the nightingale and they have turned out lovey. I have to admit, despite of the brand, most people in this forum are adverse to change. You will not see a positive response to xxx bag being redesigned.

Maybe the classic styles haven't been selling because the prices are now so high. When I joined the forum a Bayswater was £495, east west bays £395, Ledbury £285 and Antony £195. Now I expect some price increases but not the current £895 minimum for a Bayswater and £495 for a little Ant! The only other thing that has increased in that sort of proportion is house prices, and look at the mess there with a whole generation now priced out and plenty of others stuck in small flats/houses because the next step up is too expensive. Notice how popular Michael Kors bags are at around £300. And having outlets and sample sales also makes people reluctant to buy at full price. I wonder if there were no sales/outlets and bayswaters now cost £600-700 whether their profits would be better?

Maybe the classic styles haven't been selling because the prices are now so high. When I joined the forum a Bayswater was £495, east west bays £395, Ledbury £285 and Antony £195. Now I expect some price increases but not the current £895 minimum for a Bayswater and £495 for a little Ant! The only other thing that has increased in that sort of proportion is house prices, and look at the mess there with a whole generation now priced out and plenty of others stuck in small flats/houses because the next step up is too expensive. Notice how popular Michael Kors bags are at around £300. And having outlets and sample sales also makes people reluctant to buy at full price. I wonder if there were no sales/outlets and bayswaters now cost £600-700 whether their profits would be better?

I agree! The prices are high, and that's the main reason for lower sale rates, NOT any problems with the old designs! I don't quite see why the Mulberry doesn't get that. I'm fine with new bag models, IF the older ones also stay in the collection. But it's just stupid to change the classics.

I agree! The prices are high, and that's the main reason for lower sale rates, NOT any problems with the old designs! I don't quite see why the Mulberry doesn't get that. I'm fine with new bag models, IF the older ones also stay in the collection. But it's just stupid to change the classics.
I know! Can you imagine LV drastically changing the speedy or even something like the noe or alma or any of their old classics??!

I know! Can you imagine LV drastically changing the speedy or even something like the noe or alma or any of their old classics??!

Absolutely!

I see bays everyday as i work in the city - seeing less and less Alexa, but always see some of the older styles too, not many Daria these days either it and 1 Jamie I spotted too

Bays - I can't tell if they are new season or not as most carried are black/oak/choc

I have seen a few graphite bays lately and this morning the deep embossed caramel croc (divine and my eyes were drawn to it immediately)

The problem started with guillion IMO - poor quality, cut corners with inferior leathers and stupid price hikes

It took a ages for me to see willows when introduced, I've seen 2 or 3 Freya's and one had badly worn corners

I'm afraid no matter how much hype the brand get, none of the new designs IMO are an 'It' bag

Let's see how long it takes me to spot one .......

I can remember regular Lily being in the January sales at £250! Must've been around 2007 & full price was £395 I think. Seeing them at £700+ makes me think I'm having a stroke.

I can remember regular Lily being in the January sales at £250! Must've been around 2007 & full price was £395 I think. Seeing them at £700+ makes me think I'm having a stroke.

I can remember looking at Bayswaters being priced at £595 probably about 5 or 6 years ago, correct me if I'm wrong, which to my mind for an NVT bag is sufficient for the quality, craftsmanship and type of leather being used. To now pay £900, which I just have for fear of it quickly being phased out with J.C taking over, is sheer madness really, but I suppose I panicked and didn't want to miss out. I really should have held out and bought a fairly new pre-loved but anyway the deed is done and despite the cost I do have a beauty of a Bays!

Last edited:
exactly right. mulberry has gone out of the price range of many and it is worse now paying high prices with inferior designs and quality. When I started buying mulberry back in 2011 I could get a bays for £595 so I was just at the beginning of the massive price rises. Seeing them for £995 and more is just so ridiculous. If I have a bag itch I need to scratch I can get myself a michael kors without breaking the bank. Yes it is not quite the same as mulberry but it is good enough.

This photo was posted on one the Mulberry FB groups, I hope it's okay to re-post here, the lady in question saw it at LFW - the postman's lock is a lot smaller and the fob has gone :nono:
Someone at Mully needs to wake up NOW and give little Johnny a good talking to - that bag looks disastrously ugly and impractical! :lecture:

I was speaking with Mulberry repairs about a replacement bag this week and asked if the classic Bayswater will continue along side the new Bayswater and was advised it will be for the time being, but they couldn't specify a time.

Last edited: