Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

What do you all think is going on with this bag? It isn't mold, is it? Dryrot? Or just weird photos.
I would stay away from it unless I liked that look. It looks oily. There was some weird technique I saw a few years ago that created a look like this. I can't remember if it was coffee or some kind of oil or something else they dyed it with. You can see that the outside is a different color from the inside.

Reactions: Tilis
Question for those who have worked on bags with mold scars (freckles, measles). I understand that the spots are permanent. After treating for mold, cleaning, and moisturizing, is it better to live with the spots, dye the bag the same color, or dye it darker?

Photos show the bag in question (how I got it and how it's going. Why on earth I got it is a mystery even to me. LOL. ). Only the outside has freckles. The inside is beautiful, smooth British Tan.

Attachments

• 20240505_115335.jpg
    20240505_115335.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240506_090126.jpg
    20240506_090126.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 26
Question for those who have worked on bags with mold scars (freckles, measles). I understand that the spots are permanent. After treating for mold, cleaning, and moisturizing, is it better to live with the spots, dye the bag the same color, or dye it darker?

Photos show the bag in question (how I got it and how it's going. Why on earth I got it is a mystery even to me. LOL. ). Only the outside has freckles. The inside is beautiful, smooth British Tan.
I kind of like it. If you don't care for it, I would like it if it could be the same color. However it might be harder to cover the spots in that color. Mahogany would be safer in terms of covering completely.

Puffy paint is opaque and will cover the spots. The problem is you want to avoid a flat "shoe polish" look, so you can mix a little puffy paint with other paint and CPR for a lighter look hue - if you want to cover it up.

I kind of like it. If you don't care for it, I would like it if it could be the same color. However it might be harder to cover the spots in that color. Mahogany would be safer in terms of covering completely.
The better-looking pic is after 24 hours of rehab: vinegar, sunlight, Leather CPR, saddle soap, rinse, and more CPR. I'm letting it rest for awhile. Not sure what more moisture will do for it. I'm hoping it will even out to a tolerable point.

Great advice about Mahogany.

Thank you!
Puffy paint is opaque and will cover the spots. The problem is you want to avoid a flat "shoe polish" look, so you can mix a little puffy paint with other paint and CPR for a lighter look hue - if you want to cover it up.
So, puffy paint & not leather paint? Why? Genuinely curious.

I'm not sure which direction I'll go with the bag right now. It's nowhere near hydrated, so I'm not sure when I'll decide it's ready for the last step!

The better-looking pic is after 24 hours of rehab: vinegar, sunlight, Leather CPR, saddle soap, rinse, and more CPR. I'm letting it rest for awhile. Not sure what more moisture will do for it. I'm hoping it will even out to a tolerable point.

Great advice about Mahogany.

Thank you!

So, puffy paint & not leather paint? Why? Genuinely curious.

I'm not sure which direction I'll go with the bag right now. It's nowhere near hydrated, so I'm not sure when I'll decide it's ready for the last step!
Puffy paint was recommended to me here by whateve and now I use it all the time. I guess it is considered fabric paint but really, it seems just like any other paint to me - no real difference in texture.
But the difference is - it is opaque whereas my angelus paints are not. So I mix it in with a few other things and can blend away imperfections easier, that is my experience anyway.

Overall I don't like paint. But I will use a little bit mixed with CPR to smooth things out, that's how I use it.

Puffy paint was recommended to me here by whateve and now I use it all the time. I guess it is considered fabric paint but really, it seems just like any other paint to me - no real difference in texture.
But the difference is - it is opaque whereas my angelus paints are not. So I mix it in with a few other things and can blend away imperfections easier, that is my experience anyway.

Overall I don't like paint. But I will use a little bit mixed with CPR to smooth things out, that's how I use it.
One of things I love about puffy paint is that it is glossier than regular craft paint. Craft paint is too dull compared to the sheen of leather. I also like the opaqueness. I've used it really successfully on pebbled leather to cover spots as any bumps it makes just look like pebbles. I don't know how well it would work on a large smooth surface.

If I had that large expanse to do, I would probably use something specifically designed for leather. I'd be worried that to cover up those spots, you would need to apply whatever you used pretty thickly and then it wouldn't feel like leather.

I think the bag is cool looking! I think I would just keep it with the spots.

I also like the spots. They seem to be distributed quite evenly and they give the bag personality.