Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

Before you go to the dying stage, I'd use some saddle soap and a toothbrush and scrub the entire panel. When I did that on my hasp bag, it made lighter areas. Then, later, with leather CPR and blackrock leather 'n rich, it evened out.

For color fix, here's what I would try. Some leather dye (I use Kiwi brand) mixed with leather CPR. Rub just a little of it on the lighter area and see if it evens out the color. Let it dry. Maybe more than one application. Now, if your bag is putty color, you'll have to find a color that's close.

If you want to dye the whole bag, I think that's doable and in some ways easier. Again, I use kiwi brand leather dye in a little bottle with a sponge top applicator. I've had good results, mostly black bags, but also brown.
Hi Connie and all,
If you need to dye an entire bag, does anybody have any suggestions on how to "soften" the bag afterward?
I had to dye a drawstring bucket. There was no other solution. But the dye makes the bag stiff esp around the drawstring area. It is drying now, does saddle soap help?

I'm seeing so few vintage coach in the thrift and estate sales these days, that I just buy everything. I wouldn't have touched this particular bag 5 years ago. Paint was the only option.

So walking around my small SF apartment these days is an indication of how much I love vintage Coach bags.

I've got a 1980s 9755 with a cigarette smell. It has been outside for a MONTH! I brought it in to spray vinegar, smelling it outside seemed like the smell had dissipated, uh no. When was the last time anybody smoked near that bag.... 1995?
Both my parents smoked. I can't imagine what it must have been like to drive back then.

Hi Connie and all,
If you need to dye an entire bag, does anybody have any suggestions on how to "soften" the bag afterward?
I had to dye a drawstring bucket. There was no other solution. But the dye makes the bag stiff esp around the drawstring area. It is drying now, does saddle soap help?

I'm seeing so few vintage coach in the thrift and estate sales these days, that I just buy everything. I wouldn't have touched this particular bag 5 years ago. Paint was the only option.
My strategy: more leather cpr.

Reactions: Tilis and Aurora-B
Hi Connie and all,

Get a stiff brush and brush the inside of the bag on the suede.

So walking around my small SF apartment these days is an indication of how much I love vintage Coach bags.

I've got a 1980s 9755 with a cigarette smell. It has been outside for a MONTH! I brought it in to spray vinegar, smelling it outside seemed like the smell had dissipated, uh no. When was the last time anybody smoked near that bag.... 1995?
Both my parents smoked. I can't imagine what it must have been like to drive back then.
I used to live in the Marina district.

My dad smoked in the car when I was growing up. When I complained, he said I needed to learn to be more tolerant.

I used to live in the Marina district.

My dad smoked in the car when I was growing up. When I complained, he said I needed to learn to be more tolerant.
Well its a good thing he moved because San Francisco arrests and tortures smokers now. People that come from places like France are shocked, SF has laws you can't even smoke *outside*. Oh, except Pot smoke, that's perfectly fine here. OK.

I've yet to discover a Coach bag that smells like Pot.

Reactions: whateve
I’ve been procrastinating two rehabs. One requires a dunk, the other, some recoloring. In the meantime, I decided to work on leather conditioning and hardware on my train wreck vintage leather Lyndsay shopper. Unfortunately, I think I over-polished the “brass” hangtag. I carefully worked on the turn lock with a cape cod cloth, but the hardware on this one will never be quite right. Sigh.

Reactions: KiltyR45

I bought a Basic Bag, made in NYC , at a goodwill store last July. It smelled absolutely horrible from cigarette smoke. A bath using Dawn didn't touch the smell. I had the bag propped open in the sunshine for days...no effect. When our temps dropped here in Wisconsin, I propped the bag open and put it on my back porch all winter. It is still on the porch but the smell has greatly reduced. I am thinking of beginning to recondition it. Until now, I have not used any conditioner on it. My reasoning was that I did not want to "trap in" any smell; I wanted the leather to breathe.

I bought a Basic Bag, made in NYC , at a goodwill store last July. It smelled absolutely horrible from cigarette smoke. A bath using Dawn didn't touch the smell. I had the bag propped open in the sunshine for days...no effect. When our temps dropped here in Wisconsin, I propped the bag open and put it on my back porch all winter. It is still on the porch but the smell has greatly reduced. I am thinking of beginning to recondition it. Until now, I have not used any conditioner on it. My reasoning was that I did not want to "trap in" any smell; I wanted the leather to breathe.
Now a bath would be beneficial. Put vinegar in the rinse water. That should help eliminate most of the rest of the odors.

When I plan how to "help" a bag and remove smell, I like to figure out where it's originating. It's pretty clear cigarette smoke is coming from outside the bag, however, they probably carried packs of cigarettes inside, too. That adds a smell. With perfume, I'm finding that when the smell comes from INside the bag, that's hellish hard to fix. They spilled a bottle in there or something. Otherwise, it's just transfer from the person wearing the bag. It's all bad. I've had my best success with socks full of used coffee grounds inside and outside the purse, and all placed in a zipper baggie or a pillow case held closed with rubber bands. And leave it that way. Admittedly, for months!! That really helped.

I’ve been wanting to move into this #9992 since I got her, but I had to restitch the leather pad by the turn lock. I picked up a stitching awl at Hobby Lobby, and that helped wonders to finish up the rehab on this bag. And I finally finished today, and put some edge coat around it. OMG I love this bag!
I love this bag too (I have it in three colours) :smile:

• Love
What do you all think of the damage to the front of this bag?
I think the "hot spoon trick" might work with this. Unfortunately the damage is on the front.

If this were at the thrift I'd try it, and I think it will sell for $49 and shipping but for me, this would cost $70 with tax - too much.

This time of year there are always less listings. Fewer people bidding too - but not much out there.

• Sad
Reactions: whateve
When I plan how to "help" a bag and remove smell, I like to figure out where it's originating. It's pretty clear cigarette smoke is coming from outside the bag, however, they probably carried packs of cigarettes inside, too. That adds a smell. With perfume, I'm finding that when the smell comes from INside the bag, that's hellish hard to fix. They spilled a bottle in there or something. Otherwise, it's just transfer from the person wearing the bag. It's all bad. I've had my best success with socks full of used coffee grounds inside and outside the purse, and all placed in a zipper baggie or a pillow case held closed with rubber bands. And leave it that way. Admittedly, for months!! That really helped.
the really aggressive damp rid helps too. Not the same as silica pads - this is calcium chloride in pellets attached to an empty plastic bag which is intended to hang in a closet. If you put one in a tote with a bunch of Coach bags - it absorbs moisture but also smells.