Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

Hi all,

So, I have a lovely Rogue and the Gun metal hardware is chipping really badly. I would sent the bag back to Coach, but they will just damage it out and I love the bag.

So, I was thinking about various ideas.

Has anyone tried this product - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F87S31I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER It looks close to the color and well, its better than then the copper. See photo.

Or does anyone else have ideas on how to solve this? It's such lovely bag.
Vintage patina in onyx by Ranger should do the trick. You may need to take off the existing finish, I'm not sure. There is a clear sealer- patina extender you will need to use too. It is made for metal/jewelry.

Attachments

• 1484456858519.jpg
    1484456858519.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Hi all, So, I have a lovely Rogue and the Gun metal hardware is chipping really badly. I would sent the bag back to Coach, but they will just damage it out and I love the bag. So, I was thinking about various ideas. Has anyone tried this product - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F87S31I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER It looks close to the color and well, its better than then the copper. See photo. Or does anyone else have ideas on how to solve this? It's such lovely bag.

It's such a lovely and expensive bag that I would probably try and get a replacement bag with different hardware. It should have held up better than that. It is possible that the boutique store would send it in to Coach for repair and they will send it back to you with a 40% off discount letter. That's what happened to me with a metallic leather bag that had rubbing damage. Then you could try to repair the damage if you wish.

I have never used the product you mentioned but I did try to use various paints on some Coach jewelry with chipped gold-tone plating, but the paint wouldn't stick to the metal. I finally found a product called Rub 'n Buff and used it successfully to repair some jewelry items and a fob and it has held up - but these items probably don't get as much wear and tear as the hardware on your bag - so I don't know if it would help. I bought it online and it comes in many colors but I don't know about gunmetal, maybe. See the link below for more information and good luck!

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/cheap-easy-repair-for-worn-plating-on-coach-jewelry.911381/

Thank you everyone! Great suggestions.

Since you were all so nice and sympathetic, let me share the full story. So, the bag is the Western Embroidery Rogue and I sent it in once already - the embroidery came undone. And coach send me back a new bag and, well a full merchandise credit by accident too. I called customer service and told them they did this. They said they had no record of it and rep basically blew me off. So I did try to do the right thing, but in the end, I kept both. Beside the fact, I love, love love the bag, this is why i did not want to send it in.

To be honest, this a poorly made bag, and I've had a ton of trouble with it - the embroidery is coming undone again - but I loooooooove it. The hardware damage is due to me carrying my laptop in the bag and the hardware rubbing against it, so it will happen again. It has only happened on one side of two out of the 4 hooks. I did not even notice it until yesterday.

But, I love the bag and I'm just going to use it and carry my laptop.

I'll try the fixes everyone suggested. Thanks all.

Alkemist, does the color show once the conditioner has dried? I'm wondering if you may need to work slower? I'm not sure if I have worked in the situation you have described. Let us know if you find a work through .

Unfortunately the color did not seem to come through after I thought the conditioner had decent amount of time to dry. I've even tried helping it along with a cool setting of my hair dryer.

I did however manage to fumble my way through the painting process. I think my case was more difficult than I had anticipated, especially for a first timer. The pigment in the paint looked like a perfect match, but it always dried much lighter. I almost given up until I remembered I had a "leather repair kit" that I had sitting around for something else. It came with a paint kit, so I mixed in additional colors to match it better. In the end, I some how managed to get a matching gloss sheen with almost similar color. It is a little bit lighter, but with the sheen and location, it isn't as noticeable as it once was (though the spot is a little larger due to learning process). Last night I tried to make a darker tone, and I couldn't recreate the glossy sheen at all. Thankfully I had sealed the leather earlier that day and the additional bad paint job I put on top came right off. I'm going to leave it the way it is and just bite the bullet. My leather CPR bottle came today so I will try to condition up the whole purse and see if that helps any.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

...the bag is the Western Embroidery Rogue...To be honest, this a poorly made bag, and I've had a ton of trouble with it - the embroidery is coming undone again - but I loooooooove it. The hardware damage is due to me carrying my laptop in the bag and the hardware rubbing against it, so it will happen again. It has only happened on one side of two out of the 4 hooks. I did not even notice it until yesterday...But, I love the bag and I'm just going to use it and carry my laptop...

I don't think that bag was designed for heavy work. If you love it you should probably use a tougher bag for your laptop, do your best to repair the rouge and then keep it for lighter duty and special occasions. Otherwise it will just fall apart and you won't have your beloved bag any longer.

I don't think that bag was designed for heavy work. If you love it you should probably use a tougher bag for your laptop, do your best to repair the rouge and then keep it for lighter duty and special occasions. Otherwise it will just fall apart and you won't have your beloved bag any longer.

That is my conclusion too. My feeling is that the embroidery is fragile and needs to be treated right. I think the hardware issue is a bit unacceptable. It would happen with any Rogue - look at this thread. https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/rogue-quality-issues-w-hardware.957109/

But, I rather use a bag and let it wear out than not use it. And since I always carry my laptop, c'est la vie. Just means I need to find another bag to love. Also, the other bag I loved that this happen too was the Coach Madison Gathered Shoulder bag in purple. After a few years it gave out. But by that time, it was on eBay for a steal, so I bought it again.

I rather use a bag I love and wear it into the ground.

Vintage patina in onyx by Ranger should do the trick. You may need to take off the existing finish, I'm not sure. There is a clear sealer- patina extender you will need to use too. It is made for metal/jewelry.
Thanks for this product information. Googling now to find it! I pulled out my Moss Green Borough yesterday..... and yes, just sitting in her dust bag the hardware has gotten much worse - pitting and chipping - If I can make the zipper pulls more presentable, I know I'd carry her more.

Thanks for this product information. Googling now to find it! I pulled out my Moss Green Borough yesterday..... and yes, just sitting in her dust bag the hardware has gotten much worse - pitting and chipping - If I can make the zipper pulls more presentable, I know I'd carry her more.
Let us know how well it works.

Check your local hobby lobby for the vintage patina and rub n buff. The 40% coupons come in handy.

I'm going to use this too. It's inexpensive on Amazon. I'll post photos. of before and after. Thanks for the tip.

Yessss! [emoji3]
You may laugh, but I was shocked at how big it is when I got it. I should've paid closer attention to scale in your avatar pic! Bigger = less fussy to work on though [emoji106]
Yes it is surprisingly big! It is tiny compared to some of the fobs Coach is making these days. Have you seen some of those dinosaurs?