Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

So awhile ago, I had said I was going to send this Dakota Collection bag back, but I couldn't do it. I really like it, despite the cut strap. 16696475880543792762205243786565.jpg
I recently found a Sheridan bag with a removable strap. It's not quite as thick as the Dakota's strap, but it's really close. So I decided to get it, and it totally works for both bags.
20221128_061920.jpg20221128_061844.jpg

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET OUT THESE DARK MARKS LEFT BY THE BRASS BUCKLE?
16696478525298979321283953813231.jpg

Both have yet to be rehabbed. I'm looking forward to them!

Thank you all for the help so far, I didn’t end up getting it, altho that green is to die for. I think this one seems like an easy fix for my first rehab, but any ideas on what the white in the pocket could be? No response from seller :,(.

I’m waiting for a reply, but not hopeful. The seller has two others and I’m tempted to bid but I don’t know how to assess how realistic these projects are. I’m also just super new to handbags and the used market in general so I’m still figuring these things out (like, beware of smells or torn pieces or mold?)
I recently bought my first vintage coach piece, and safe to say I am obsessed and my shopping list immediately grew. I want to try my hand at rehabbing old bags, but am not sure how difficult something like this could be? Would it be hard to get out the stains pictured with just the dunk and condition? Just trying to assess what’s possible for a beginner!

I think you and I are looking at the same bags online. I did not get the green duffle--the stain was different than anything I had seen before, plus it went for more money than I would have spent. I got the other two duffles from that seller. The problems I saw are all things that either I have seen before or that I know have lots of advice here to refer to. The black duffle with the 'white' in the pocket--I also emailed the seller last week with the same question. No response and I won't deal with a seller that can't bother to even say that she doesn't know. Good luck in your quests--the duffle sacs are all I carry and I love them.

I think you and I are looking at the same bags online. I did not get the green duffle--the stain was different than anything I had seen before, plus it went for more money than I would have spent. I got the other two duffles from that seller. The problems I saw are all things that either I have seen before or that I know have lots of advice here to refer to. The black duffle with the 'white' in the pocket--I also emailed the seller last week with the same question. No response and I won't deal with a seller that can't bother to even say that she doesn't know. Good luck in your quests--the duffle sacs are all I carry and I love them.
Oh thank you for sharing your thought process!! This is really helpful in helping me learn. I hope you update how they clean-up, that british tan looked like it had some serious work on the bottom!

So awhile ago, I had said I was going to send this Dakota Collection bag back, but I couldn't do it. I really like it, despite the cut strap. View attachment 5660792
I recently found a Sheridan bag with a removable strap. It's not quite as thick as the Dakota's strap, but it's really close. So I decided to get it, and it totally works for both bags.
View attachment 5660795View attachment 5660796

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO GET OUT THESE DARK MARKS LEFT BY THE BRASS BUCKLE?
View attachment 5660798

Both have yet to be rehabbed. I'm looking forward to them!
I had some doubts about the authenticity of the Sheridan. My doubts were confirmed on the Authenticate forum. That's okay because I only bought it for the strap really, but still.... It was cheaper than the other replacement strap I was looking at, so there's that. Lol. I'm going to go ahead and use it. Anyone know how to get that black mark off of there?

I had some doubts about the authenticity of the Sheridan. My doubts were confirmed on the Authenticate forum. That's okay because I only bought it for the strap really, but still.... It was cheaper than the other replacement strap I was looking at, so there's that. Lol. I'm going to go ahead and use it. Anyone know how to get that black mark off of there?
I was wondering when I saw that removable strap. I don't think I've ever had a strap like that be removable. I think those tarnish stains on leather are permanent.

Reactions: Crystalcoach
I was wondering when I saw that removable strap. I don't think I've ever had a strap like that be removable. I think those tarnish stains on leather are permanent.
Thanks. I've never had any luck getting them out either. I thought one of you rehab magicians might have something up your sleeves though. Lol. It doesn't bother me too much, as long as I can get it straight, which shouldn't be a problem.

I've never seen a removable strap like that on a Coach either, but it's the whole reason I bought that bag. I know it's fake, but that strap is going to make my bag usable, and that makes me happy. :smile: I'm in the middle of a rehab now, but I'll do that one next. Pictures to come!

May I know if Apple brand Garde or Cadillac Select water and stain protector suitable to be used on Coach vintage bags?
I must admit I would be curious to know too. I’ve personally never used anything like that because I believe it leaves a coat on the leather. Leather is porous like our skin so it’s not great for the leather long term because it doesn’t allow it to breathe. But keen to know other people’s experience

Reactions: Crystalcoach
I must admit I would be curious to know too. I’ve personally never used anything like that because I believe it leaves a coat on the leather. Leather is porous like our skin so it’s not great for the leather long term because it doesn’t allow it to breathe. But keen to know other people’s experience
Blackrocks, which many of us use in rehabbing, will give some protection. As will Obenauf's LP.

I think because the quality of Coach vintage leather is so good that it’s generally really lovely to work with and even pieces which look like they’re ready for the bin can look like they’re ready for the ball with some love and tlc. It’s super personal and trial and error is the only way to really know what will suit your needs and that you’ll fall in love with. Bags I thought I would love, I haven’t used and bags I bought to test my rehab skills, I’ve just fallen for.

I went through decades of rehab advice on here. They’ve been a God send :idea:
This is how I fell in love with the legacy zip. Saw it sitting sad and neglected, thought for $20 why not try to restore it, and now it's my daily use bag. Funny how that happens sometimes!