Coach Rehab and Rescue Club

Well. My purple Tribeca tote was a bust. It came out of the dunk with lots of dark stains that I couldn't get rid of. Some were there before the dunk, they are visible in the before photo, but I swear more came out in the bath and I couldn't get rid of the ones I already knew were there. So I bought another one to try again :frown:. The currant tote will get dunked this weekend, hopefully that one turns out better. It's in worse shape than the purple one was but it doesn't have any stains so I'm optimistic.

Has anyone had any luck removing dark stains? They look like grease smears or something. I soaked them with a degreaser but they are stubborn.

May we see photos of the dark stains?

Reactions: Jacynthe
May we see photos of the dark stains?
Here they are. It's the same bag, the flash made the color change from purple to blue. It's rainy today so my house is too dark for natural light photos.
20220806_134640.jpg20220806_134705.jpg

ETA: when my replacement bag arrives I'm going to make sure it's in better condition than this one and then I'm going to soak these stains over night with a degreaser. It's not terrible like this, I would definitely carry it as a work bag, but I'm hoping the new bag is in better shape so I can experiment with this one.

Here they are. It's the same bag, the flash made the color change from purple to blue. It's rainy today so my house is too dark for natural light photos.
View attachment 5583849View attachment 5583850

ETA: when my replacement bag arrives I'm going to make sure it's in better condition than this one and then I'm going to soak these stains over night with a degreaser. It's not terrible like this, I would definitely carry it as a work bag, but I'm hoping the new bag is in better shape so I can experiment with this one.

It's a beautiful bag and colour! :loveeyes: I would be tempted to dye it (the same colour) if the degreaser doesn't work as well as you'd like.

Any ideas on removing verdigris from this type of grommet? This is the underside of the strap on a slim duffel sac. I realize now I didn’t put any vinegar in the water rinse I used, and I’m now at the brass polishing stage. I’m using toothpicks, bits of paper towel, and elbow grease to work on the verdigris.

I know that despite removing what I can, some of the oxidation/verdigris is getting embedded back in the leather as I clean and polish the grommets/rivets. Other than the yuck factor and maintenance needed, is it harmful to our skin or health?
50E652DB-FD67-4967-9EE8-B532E82ECC70.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tilis and Jacynthe
It's a beautiful bag and colour! :loveeyes: I would be tempted to dye it (the same colour) if the degreaser doesn't work as well as you'd like.
Thank you! Yeah it's a gorgeous bag. I'm on a purple kick right now I guess. I'm anxiously awaiting the replacement bag before I decide what to do with this one. The currant tote seems to have turned out much better so far, knock on wood! It has some funky stretching which I'm hoping to fix by allowing it to dry with water bottles inside to help it hold its shape. It's delicious Costa Rica leather though, so no matter how it turns out it's going to be wonderful. And it's a beautiful color. I've never seen a currant Tribeca tote before.

Any ideas on removing verdigris from this type of grommet? This is the underside of the strap on a slim duffel sac. I realize now I didn’t put any vinegar in the water rinse I used, and I’m now at the brass polishing stage. I’m using toothpicks, bits of paper towel, and elbow grease to work on the verdigris.

I know that despite removing what I can, some of the oxidation/verdigris is getting embedded back in the leather as I clean and polish the grommets/rivets. Other than the yuck factor and maintenance needed, is it harmful to our skin or health?
View attachment 5584038
You can get tiny pointed cotton swabs that help to get into the small or tight spaces in the brass. I use Brasso with cotton swabs. Just be careful not to get it on the leather. Tough, I know.

View attachment 5583849View attachment 5583850

I was going to suggest a long soak, but you’ve already decided to do that. Use Dawn dish soap.

Reactions: Tilis and LadaZuri
I'm new to this forum and excited to be here. Sorry, because I'm new I can only post a reply.

I've been buying vintage Coach bags and restoring with varying success without the benefit of this forum. Since reading multiple posts over the last few days I decided to follow the steps listed here (dunking/Leather CPR/BR leather 'n' rich) and try them on a 9058 black Legacy Hobo. I have posted the result - sorry I did not take a before shot.

I wanted to let everyone know about a company I've been using as a source for aniline dyes for bag touch ups. They are called Leather Solutions Int'l at located at https://www.damagedleathersolutions.com/. If this is old news to everyone, I apologize.
I have found the quality of their aniline dyes to be good and they will mix custom colors for no extra charge (https://www.damagedleathersolutions.com/color/leather-color/aniline-custom-touch-up-color). They need a leather sample to make up the color, so you will need to send them a hangtag if you have one and you can request it to be returned with your dye. The cost for a 2 oz bottle of dye is $29.95, 4 ozs is $39.95, 8 ozs is $54.95, and 32 ozs is $150. I find a 2 oz or 4 oz bottle will go a long way - I dilute the dye 1:1 with water and a small amount of Chamberlains leather milk (No 1) and apply it with a wool dauber (https://www.amazon.com/Daubers-Stecksstore-3445-00-Leather-Sealers/dp/B010KW2CNU/).

These restorations look great (see fully restored mahogany Bonnie Cashin triple frame attached) but in my experience tend not to be completely color-fast if you moisturize the leather or the bag gets a thorough soaking in wet weather, so be careful. Because of this problem I tend to just use the dyes to touch up problem areas like worn/faded piping and corners. I use BR leather 'n' rich and some neutral shoe polish to waterproof the area and have not had a problem with this kind of touch up. If anyone has advice/experience on what to treat coach leather with after a full blown restoration/redye with aniline dye to keep it colorfast, I would love to hear from you.

9058.jpg

IMG_5351 strap shot.jpg

I'm new to this forum and excited to be here. Sorry, because I'm new I can only post a reply.

I've been buying vintage Coach bags and restoring with varying success without the benefit of this forum. Since reading multiple posts over the last few days I decided to follow the steps listed here (dunking/Leather CPR/BR leather 'n' rich) and try them on a 9058 black Legacy Hobo. I have posted the result - sorry I did not take a before shot.

I wanted to let everyone know about a company I've been using as a source for aniline dyes for bag touch ups. They are called Leather Solutions Int'l at located at https://www.damagedleathersolutions.com/. If this is old news to everyone, I apologize.
I have found the quality of their aniline dyes to be good and they will mix custom colors for no extra charge (https://www.damagedleathersolutions.com/color/leather-color/aniline-custom-touch-up-color). They need a leather sample to make up the color, so you will need to send them a hangtag if you have one and you can request it to be returned with your dye. The cost for a 2 oz bottle of dye is $29.95, 4 ozs is $39.95, 8 ozs is $54.95, and 32 ozs is $150. I find a 2 oz or 4 oz bottle will go a long way - I dilute the dye 1:1 with water and a small amount of Chamberlains leather milk (No 1) and apply it with a wool dauber (https://www.amazon.com/Daubers-Stecksstore-3445-00-Leather-Sealers/dp/B010KW2CNU/).

These restorations look great (see fully restored mahogany Bonnie Cashin triple frame attached) but in my experience tend not to be completely color-fast if you moisturize the leather or the bag gets a thorough soaking in wet weather, so be careful. Because of this problem I tend to just use the dyes to touch up problem areas like worn/faded piping and corners. I use BR leather 'n' rich and some neutral shoe polish to waterproof the area and have not had a problem with this kind of touch up. If anyone has advice/experience on what to treat coach leather with after a full blown restoration/redye with aniline dye to keep it colorfast, I would love to hear from you.

View attachment 5586142

View attachment 5586143
Thanks for the links! And welcome! I love your triple kisslock bag, maybe someday I'm going to come across one of those. :smile: