Coach Quality

Not just handbags, my cellphone from 9 years ago works great but two new ones have issues and stopped working or cover broke... my new stove isn't made as well as one I had for 20 years.....

i think it is that constant need of upping GDP--

things aren't made to last these days because of economics. why would you want someone to be able to have something for a long long time? instead of buying a couple, they may only buy one or two in their life time (stove wise) and instead of buying a dozen they might by a few hundred.. clothing/accessories wise.. of course fashion plays into getting people to get rid of their older stuff because it is 'out' in favor of whats 'in' as well..but mostly things aren't made well it is because if it lasts, you will never have the need to buy another one..companies will have to charge more (and those who generally do do produce items that are made better and last longer)

but there is a good reason for that...besides bloody greedy ceos. when you have more pple buying frequently you need to hire more SAs to help...you would need to have the items shipped from the facility to the store more..you would need to expand your store hours to accommodate your customers which means more electricity being used..you would need to make more deposits to the bank which means the tellers will have to be there..if not then there will be more pple handling your deposit account..you would need more supplies for basic store functions like pens/paper/ink/staples/packaging/shoppers (bags) etc etc..i could go on but hopefully you get the idea. it is needed in order to make our society carry on and move forward..its a thin line from putting work into people's hands and food in their mouth to having them overspend and max out their cc and take on mortgages that they can't handle once the economy 'phats' but

by cutting costs in productions and testing/using new methods of assembling that is not tried to be lasting (meaning not enough time has passed to see whether the garment or appliance will last or not, the price of having the latest) the prices are going to drop but that also means the 'quality' because you have an idea..and you need to get it from the drawing board to the floor as fast as possible and your main concern is that it will work, safely, and for a reasonable time (which is a few years now it seems, if even--most warranties that are included already lasts max a year which goes to show..)

but not meant to last long, much less a lifetime (yours, not the item in question)

Agree. Somebody said that the handle on the MFF Zoe looks like a cheap belt. I almost bought Maggie hippie in walnut, the color is gorgeous! Until I saw the handle strap!!!!! Talking about cheap! less than an inch wide! can't even describe it... flimsy and cheap....

Agree. Somebody said that the handle on the MFF Zoe looks like a cheap belt. I almost bought Maggie hippie in walnut, the color is gorgeous! Until I saw the handle strap!!!!! Talking about cheap! less than an inch wide! can't even describe it... flimsy and cheap....

The thin handles REALLY irk me. I have passed on bags because of this. Who cares how much one can stuff into a large tote if the handles look like they will break a few minutes after you pick up that stuffed tote? I would be nervous that my big stuffed bag would fail on me at some critical moment. Plus, the thin handles are really uncomfortable on my shoulder when the bags are fully loaded.

I agree with ms-whitney that nothing is made to last or the same quality that they used to be.

My grandmother had bags (cheap department store ones) and clothes that she had used for decades and everything still looked new when she died. I wish I hadn't binned it all because it was "old lady" stuff, I'd love to have some of it now. In fact I'm sure she wore one pair of shoes every day for the last ten years of her life, and they barely looked scuffed.

But now it seems clothes don't look good anymore after a few washings, shoes fall apart if you get them wet, bags don't hold up to much use. I just bought a bag a couple of weeks ago - I don't want to trash the brand but it was a well-known name in the $200 price range, and didn't even use it every day and the zipper is already broken. I got it at Winners for a big discount and it would cost more than I paid to have the zipper changed. I did learn from this that light colored fabric bags get grungy really fast (I'd never had one before), so it was worth the small cost to learn that, before I bought a similar Coach one that I've been saving up for!

If I'm going to spend 500.00-900.00 for a brand new bag it darn well better be flawless - this is "my" personal standard for new bags. This goes for the Kristen bag too. They range from 300-600.00 I would expect it to be flawless. If it's not, Coach should be shipping the bag to the outlet and sell it for less than half the price.

you know what's added into that price? the warranty.

how many companies will take your bag and turn around and give you the credit of it to get a new one if it's less then two (I think that's the general conclusion) years old and if more then they would offer the bag back AND forty percent off? and this is, if they cannot fix the bag.

I can't really think of any bag designer that does this, maybe tumi but they're more luggage

and Kristin large leather hobo..398$? what other brand has a bag of that size in leather for around that price?

I'm not saying it's the best made bag

sometimes I think I'm spoiled by coach and when I venture into other brands and ask about the warranty..at the same time it's coach's fault! they got me used to the return anytime with a receipt or not as long as it's not used policy and the lifetime of the bag warranty

but considering how all other brands are inflating their prices..398$ isn't that bad but that's just me

^^ I disagree.

Coach is not a brand that should have to depend on their warranty to sell their merchandise. That's something that inferior or lessor known brands depend on.

interesting,
so which lower brands have a warranty you can depend on and how does it work?

my thinking is, you buy a bag that is $xxx. it is meant to be a good bag for x years but lets say over the years the strap broke apart. you've already used this for a good period. (for an example we can say a classic that costs maybe in the 200-300 range..taking the higher number, 300, divided by just 365 its less then a dollar to carry if you had carried it everyday, if you haven't it would still work roughly around that same price if you had a for a couple of years--isn't that the value?) you bring it in and they repair it for free. this is not done by machine, its done by person. someone has to pay their salary, and the material, albeit not as expensive, thread doesn't cost much does it?, still costs something. and while it is not said to be 'worked' into their pricing

its a part of it

like having stores, people to man the store, supplies, gift wrapping/boxing, etc etc..

where do they get the money to fund this? from handbag sales.

all companies work in a projected cost of expense into their overall value of product, whether they get it right on the dot or not..is another matter, as is whether the product sells at the desired price

^^ That's my point. Coach is not known historically to be an inferior brand...but, in the past year the quality has deteriorated to the point that it becomes a safety net. That's something you would expect from an inferior brand.