Coach Quality

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this point. Lately, I've seen too many expensive Coach bags with logos turned upside down and other obvious defects to say that Coach doesn't have quality issues. I don't remember seeing these types of issues until about the last year or so and they're occurring more frequently rather than less.

For example, seeing bags that retailed for $500-$900 with upside down logos on the sales floor is simply not a good look, even at the outlet. Someone should've caught that way before it ever hit any type of retail store.

Coach repeatedly states that it's striving to preserve its reputation, which admittedly has suffered in the past few years due to factors such as lack of exclusivity (i.e., everyone and their mother owns a Coach bag) by implementing measures such as decreasing production, selling less FP deletes at the outlet, trying to stop resellers, etc. Yet, selling obviously defective items at the outlet isn't exactly helping this effort. IMO, those bags should be destroyed and never allowed to see the light of day.

Not to open a can of worms. but I saw many posts in Chanel saying oh no my bag is falling apart, stitching issues, etc..so its not Coach.
Things are going to happen with any brand. If you see a defect in the brand, bring it to the proper persons attention, and get it taken care of. If it bothers you really bad, dont buy the brand. Again I am a Coach Lover...and I will be until I see for myself the brand is "declining"

they just dont make it like they used to... a total cliché but this is true of anything. i also know coach stands behind their product and if it is defective i wont b stuck w a lemon. i cant say the same for other brands.

From my experience, over the last few years quality has declined. I have owned about 15 Coach purses as well as many other accessory items, all purchased prior to 2007. Since 2007, I have not purchased a Coach bag because I felt that every one I saw on the website was not what I expected in person. In the last 3 years I have purchased 2 Diors and a Chloe. While I have not had any issues with the Diors (I only carry on occasion) I have had issues with my Chloe. It is a large Paddington and I have had one of the rivets that holds the heavy lock on, fall out. Also some of the edging on the handles has come off which cause the leather to separate. While I personally am not that upset with it because I think it almost adds to the distressed look, I could see why having these issues with a Coach would be more troubling. Coach to me is a fairly refined brand, where the distressed look is not acceptable. I am giving Coach another try this weekend with the PCE event, so we'll see if I actually find a quality item to buy!

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this point. Lately, I've seen too many expensive Coach bags with logos turned upside down and other obvious defects to say that Coach doesn't have quality issues. I don't remember seeing these types of issues until about the last year or so and they're occurring more frequently rather than less.

For example, seeing bags that retailed for $500-$900 with upside down logos on the sales floor is simply not a good look, even at the outlet. Someone should've caught that way before it ever hit any type of retail store.

Coach repeatedly states that it's striving to preserve its reputation, which admittedly has suffered in the past few years due to factors such as lack of exclusivity (i.e., everyone and their mother owns a Coach bag) by implementing measures such as decreasing production, selling less FP deletes at the outlet, trying to stop resellers, etc. Yet, selling obviously defective items at the outlet isn't exactly helping this effort. IMO, those bags should be destroyed and never allowed to see the light of day.

I'm fortunate to own a few LV bags which are priced at double a Coach before you even break out of PVC and into more lux materials. My point was, that when all things are considered...you get a lot more for your money with Coach. Dollar for design is top notch. Not to mention, these designers--both LV and Coach--craft their bags using machines and error will happen. I'm not saying that "defective" bags are acceptable...not at all. I myself would not pay $500+ for a defect bag be it Coach or any other designer.

I will say, however, that in the past year I have bought many Coach bags, so I feel like I can speak on the latest bags "quality" as well... I've yet to experience true quality-control issues. I've purchased Kira, Sydney, Kristin, Madison, Ali and even old bags from the Legacy line. I've seen issues with the longevity of the older bags--sealant mostly. But my new ones are amazingly refined and I couldn't find a fault among them, even looking hard for one. I'm either really lucky, or the one's with issues are isolated. But, that's simply my take on things.

And yes, I will agree that in some areas Coach has scaled back quality--but not compromised it. Like with the Kristin snap closure. I'm mildly disappointed in the snap...but for $500.00 I don't think I can complain, because the original with the ball/hinge/clasp closing were hundreds of dollars more. Coach is truly a company that allows their price to reflect the materials chosen...unlike so many others. Other companies may scale back on leather or hardware, and yet never allow the price point to change. So really, I view it as a benefit.

Oh, and I should also point out that I made a point to stay "broad stroke" because it's genuinely not across the board...I'd never deny that small things happen here and there--and those need to be addressed...but, across about, I just wouldn't feel right agreeing.

I agree this can be a thread that can go sour fast...

I find that the Leather in the first Kristin was thicker and better but the cost was alot more.. This time around the price was right... I still find that the bag is lovely and worth the price and that is the point price..

I do not think that the quality of Coach has goon down. Yes the leather is thinner but that has more to do with people wanting lighter bags not everyone wants to carry a Lindsey or Gigi or Francine the Leather is great and the quality is great but they are so heavy that even die hard bag lovers like me do not wear those bags that often..

Bags like the Sabrina, Julianne, Audrey, Claire, Kira, Kristin, Maggie are all super well made and have great quality and style...

Not to open a can of worms. but I saw many posts in Chanel saying oh no my bag is falling apart, stitching issues, etc..so its not Coach.
Things are going to happen with any brand. If you see a defect in the brand, bring it to the proper persons attention, and get it taken care of. If it bothers you really bad, dont buy the brand. Again I am a Coach Lover...and I will be until I see for myself the brand is "declining"

I see this post is a sensitive topic. I truly respect everyone's opinion and am simply stating my opinion and experience with Coach. And yes BagloverBurr, you're right - Coach isn't the only brand experiencing quality issues. If you reference an earlier post I made in this thread, I mentioned that I've noticed that other brands have suffered as well.

With that said, I didn't mean for my posts to bash Coach, but just to state, as I've said before, what my personal experience has been with and my personal opinions about the brand.

For example, about 2 weeks ago, I sat down and looked through every single bag in my mother's rather substantial Coach collection and found that the bags she purchased prior to 2009, both FP, department store and outlet: (1) had very minor to no defects; and (2) the quality of the leather and attention to detail was far superior to what Coach is currently selling.

When I looked at her purchases from 2009 until now, there's definitely a difference. For example, the magnets on her Large Black Leather Garnet stopped working within 1 week of purchase and use.

Now, this doesn't mean that I will stop buying Coach. In fact, I've purchased a few bags in the past few months. It's just that I know that when I go into the store to buy a Coach bag, I won't find the quality of years past.

I also mentioned in an earlier post that because nothing's perfect, no matter what consumer good I purchase, I try to inspect it as carefully as I can and purchase the best of the bunch. If I can't find a satisfactory one, I simply don't purchase the item.

Can we just agree to disagree on this issue and call a truce? :smile:

Last edited:
I'm fortunate to own a few LV bags which are priced at double a Coach before you even break out of PVC and into more lux materials. My point was, that when all things are considered...you get a lot more for your money with Coach. Dollar for design is top notch. Not to mention, these designers--both LV and Coach--craft their bags using machines and error will happen. I'm not saying that "defective" bags are acceptable...not at all. I myself would not pay $500+ for a defect bag be it Coach or any other designer.

I will say, however, that in the past year I have bought many Coach bags, so I feel like I can speak on the latest bags "quality" as well... I've yet to experience true quality-control issues. I've purchased Kira, Sydney, Kristin, Madison, Ali and even old bags from the Legacy line. I've seen issues with the longevity of the older bags--sealant mostly. But my new ones are amazingly refined and I couldn't find a fault among them, even looking hard for one. I'm either really lucky, or the one's with issues are isolated. But, that's simply my take on things.

And yes, I will agree that in some areas Coach has scaled back quality--but not compromised it. Like with the Kristin snap closure. I'm mildly disappointed in the snap...but for $500.00 I don't think I can complain, because the original with the ball/hinge/clasp closing were hundreds of dollars more. Coach is truly a company that allows their price to reflect the materials chosen...unlike so many others. Other companies may scale back on leather or hardware, and yet never allow the price point to change. So really, I view it as a benefit.

Oh, and I should also point out that I made a point to stay "broad stroke" because it's genuinely not across the board...I'd never deny that small things happen here and there--and those need to be addressed...but, across about, I just wouldn't feel right agreeing.

You make some very valid points Italiahaircolor. Perhaps because I'm a perfectionist and likely have some mild form of OCPD, I can find imperfections in almost everything, not just Coach bags. Trust me, they are there. I've stood in stores for hours combing over 5-6 of the same bag, dress, shoes, etc. and every single one had a defect whether a scratch, snag, loose thread(s), sticky zippers, loose buttons, visible glue between the shoe and the sole, etc. It's just a matter of what an individual is comfortable with. A barely perceptible issue with an item may not bother you, yet drive me insane because of the perfectionist tendencies as a result of the OCPD.

So, as with BagloverBurr, I truly respect your opinion. And once again, can we agree to disagree and call a truce? :smile:

I think all brands have slipped. As production went to astronomical levels, and cost cuts, est., they have all suffered IMO.

Interestingly enough, my Coach bags from 5-6 years ago are better made IMO than a lot of today's bags (again, just my opinion). They were made in China as well.

I will give Coach this: if you come across a problem, they will take care of it. Many designers don't do that. And Coach isn't considered designer by many.

When day comes that I need a new bag, as much as I want to walk away from Coach due to over-saturation (IMO), it'll probably be a black leather Coach bag. From reading this forum, it seems that problems are less likely to stem from plain black leather.

Coach, I want my D-ring in whatever future bag I buy, you hear me????! Yes, it is a selling point!!!!! :noggin::smash::lecture::bagslap:

I think all brands have slipped. As production went to astronomical levels, and cost cuts, est., they have all suffered IMO.

Interestingly enough, my Coach bags from 5-6 years ago are better made IMO than a lot of today's bags (again, just my opinion). They were made in China as well.

I will give Coach this: if you come across a problem, they will take care of it. Many designers don't do that. And Coach isn't considered designer by many.

When day comes that I need a new bag, as much as I want to walk away from Coach due to over-saturation (IMO), it'll probably be a black leather Coach bag. From reading this forum, it seems that problems are less likely to stem from plain black leather.

Coach, I want my D-ring in whatever future bag I buy, you hear me????! Yes, it is a selling point!!!!! :noggin::smash::lecture::bagslap:

LOL @ your D ring demand :yahoo:

LOL @ your D ring demand :yahoo:
:graucho: It's a must!

I can't believe they are taking it out. I tried e-mailing them, but got an error. Their large profit margins can handle a $.05 D-ring.:P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also want to add this: there's something that Coach offers that other designers don't. This is a big plus for me. ---> There's no snootiness to Coach, nor is there pressure to dress a certain way. I am not a dresser upper, I'd hate for people to look at me and say "WTH is she doing with LV/Chanel/etc and while wearing THAT?"

I agree with your post, but the part in bold really stood out to me because that is a huge selling point for me as well! Many of the bags right now don't have those D-rings. I use mine ALL the time, and if a bag I'm looking at doesn't have it, that's a huge drawback. I've passed on some of the Kristin bags because of this (and the snap clasp as others have mentioned, I had difficulty getting it to actually snap shut!)

I have had questions about Coach's quality over the year or so I've been an addict, but I've not experienced any serious issues myself. One thing I do love about Coach is they stand behind their products, which I can't say for many retailers these days - at least if I do have a quality issue, Coach will do what they can to make it right.

I am disappointed with Coach's quality. I went to the FP to purchase the Kristen hobo in taupe. They had four in the store and everyone of them had some kind of flaw on it so they ordered one for me. I went to pick it up tonight and the stitching was off and there was even a red thread in with the stitching. I wasn't happy with the zipper either. I told them how the quality of Coach has gone downhill. They gave me CS phone number to let them know and that I wasn't the first one to state this. I didn't purchase the bag. I can't spend that kind of money and have all of these flaws.

I had to return a NWT Kristin tote (made the mistake of having it gift wrapped) because of a few different defects. I almost bought another, but they all had imperfections, including a cut in the leather. I didn't even want to risk ordering something. What would be a scratch on another leather will probably be a cut in this. I know Coach stands behind their products, but that wouldn't be a manufacturer's defect & I'd be SOL. It's a shame because I love the look of this line.

I had to return a NWT Kristin tote (made the mistake of having it gift wrapped) because of a few different defects. I almost bought another, but they all had imperfections, including a cut in the leather. I didn't even want to risk ordering something. What would be a scratch on another leather will probably be a cut in this. I know Coach stands behind their products, but that wouldn't be a manufacturer's defect & I'd be SOL. It's a shame because I love the look of this line.

I do like the fact that Coach does stand behind their product as I have had some issues with a few bags and they were great taking care of the problem for me. But my problems is purchasing a brand new bag with the defects already there and on many bags. Even the one I ordered from Coach had defects. I can't spend that kind of money when the bag is already flawed. I also did see a Kristen tote in the FP and there was alittle tear in the leather. Coach is my favorite brand and I will continue to purchase from them I will just have to look it over very carefully.