Coach Originals vs Coach Classics vs Vintage

I know that the style of the strap has changed over time. Earlier Basic Bags have a double strap and newer ones have a single strap. The earliest Basic Bags have a very heavy industrial TALON zipper but Coach started using a lighter YKK zipper for the Basic quite some time ago.

I just bought a vintage basic bag on ebay. It needs some of the brass cleaned and it could use some cleaning and moisturizing. Any tips? I also posted on a thread that I think it's yours, coincidentally, called Rehab Bonanza.

I was at the boutique today and saw the new Coach Classics IRL for the first time. They had an entire display section for them right next to the entrance door! They are very lovely and the styling is quite true to the originals but they are lighter weight. The leather is very shiny and pretty but it is stiffer and I think it could scratch pretty easily.

I have to say that these simpler, quieter styles were quite capable of "holding their own" next to all the big, blingy, beautiful new bags! I mentioned to the SA that I have a stewardess bag in black (they had a british tan one on display) and she said "Hang on to it, they are great bags and never go out of style!"

I agree with her!

I was at the boutique today and saw the new Coach Classics IRL for the first time. They had an entire display section for them right next to the entrance door! They are very lovely and the styling is quite true to the originals but they are lighter weight. The leather is very shiny and pretty but it is stiffer and I think it could scratch pretty easily.

I have to say that these simpler, quieter styles were quite capable of "holding their own" next to all the big, blingy, beautiful new bags! I mentioned to the SA that I have a stewardess bag in black (they had a british tan one on display) and she said "Hang on to it, they are great bags and never go out of style!"

I agree with her!

Oakbrook has the new Classics on display? Nice! I've been wanting to see and handle one of these IRL. I might have to meander down that way soon...if there's another PCE in February, that is :graucho:

Oakbrook has the new Classics on display? Nice! I've been wanting to see and handle one of these IRL. I might have to meander down that way soon...if there's another PCE in February, that is :graucho:

Yes, I was surprised because I thought they were only available on-line but they had quite a large and prominent display of the new Classics, with the BT stewardess as the star attraction!

On coach.com, when you type originals into the search it gives 15 styles. When you type in classics (or click on the option), it gives 25 styles and includes all of the original bags under classics, too - so an original is always a classic, but a classic does not have to be an original. So while the re-issues might have been different and limited to fewer styles, coach actually classifies far more bags as classics. And now I'm confusing myself. Are there then four categories instead of three - original, classic, classic re-issue, and vintage?

Ah, NM. I see the update on page 3 stating that the re-issues had disappeared from coach's website. But it still looks like the classic re-issues are listed along with the originals under the classic label online because some of the bags list "glove-tanned leather", while others (the re-issue styles) list "retro glove tan leather".

I was just in my local Coach store today and saw several Classics prominently displayed at the entrance to the store, which surprised me as last time I was there they were stashed in the back and you had to ask about them. I did note that one version had the plastic inner zipper while another one had the old school brass zipper on the internal pocket. Weird. I haven't bought a new version of the old Classics because that plastic zipper just puts me off. I did notice that the Stewardess I picked up was much thinner than the old ones though, just FYI.

Hi Everyone...
Such an informative thread...
Katev, quick question please as I know from my readings around TPF that you know a lot about Vintage Coach bags--how would you classify/your opinions on the Coach Bonnie Cashin Tote (the 'Cashin Carry' Tote from the time Bonnie Cashin was still there and perhaps maybe just a very short time right after she left but definitely still from the 60's and 70's).
[BTW--if this is not the thead to ask you (or any of our other very helpful TPF'ers)--would you kindly please direct me to the correct Forum to inquire more about those wonderful Vintage Coch Cashin Carry Totes from the 60's and 70's--Thank You].

I am wondering if they are discontinuing the Rambler because I haven't been able to view the details for several days.

As much as I am happy that Coach continues to make the originals, I don't see any advantage to buying one of these over a vintage one in good condition.

I wonder how well the originals sell. Frankly I am tired of hearing (or reading) the complaints about how people miss the quality of old Coach leather; yet those same complainers don't show an interest in Coach originals.

whateve said:
I am wondering if they are discontinuing the Rambler because I haven't been able to view the details for several days.

As much as I am happy that Coach continues to make the originals, I don't see any advantage to buying one of these over a vintage one in good condition.

I wonder how well the originals sell. Frankly I am tired of hearing (or reading) the complaints about how people miss the quality of old Coach leather; yet those same complainers don't show an interest in Coach originals.

I have been buying vintage Made in NYC coach bags on Ebay. I am not paying all that money for something Made in China.

Sent from my iPad using PurseForum

Hi Everyone...
Such an informative thread...
Katev, quick question please as I know from my readings around TPF that you know a lot about Vintage Coach bags--how would you classify/your opinions on the Coach Bonnie Cashin Tote (the 'Cashin Carry' Tote from the time Bonnie Cashin was still there and perhaps maybe just a very short time right after she left but definitely still from the 60's and 70's).
[BTW--if this is not the thead to ask you (or any of our other very helpful TPF'ers)--would you kindly please direct me to the correct Forum to inquire more about those wonderful Vintage Coch Cashin Carry Totes from the 60's and 70's--Thank You].

You should reach out to DemRam for information about original vintage Bonnie Cashin bags, she has an amazing collection of vintage Coach and Cashin bags.

I only have one Cashin bag and it isn't a Coach, it is a Cashin for Meyers from the mid-1970s shortly after she left Coach. And I don't have any vintage Coach bags from the 1960s. I'd like to have some!

My experiences with the older, made in NYC Coach bags from the 1970s is that the leather is very thick and the hardware and zippers are quite sturdy. However, they can be challenging to rehab because they are old and often have stains and heavy use. If you find a gently used one that's great. A vintage style bag from the 1990s or early 2000s (if it hasn't been abused) may be a better rehabbing option. Good luck!

I should add that many of the "Cashin bags" listed for sale on ebay, bonanza, etsy, and other sale sites are not truly Cashin bags. Some are vintage styles inspired by early Cashin but they were made after she left Coach. It's best to do some research and get authentication if you are desire a genuine Cashin Coach bag.

DemRam and Bunny posted lots of information and pics about genuine Cashin bags and labels here:
http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/how-do-you-know-that-its-cashin-bag-600684.html#post15734511

Katev -you seem so knowledgeable about Coach and the various bags/styles/leathers, etc that I wanted to ask you a question if you don't mind. I have both an old and new Madison Hailey (old in Walnut, new in black). I love the new Madison leather but I love the detailing on the old Hailey much better. My question: what type of leather was used on the old Madison Hailey? (if you know!) It seems much stiffer and has lots of natural striations or sort of lines in it. I have a Walnut/brass old Hailey and the leather is SO different from the new Hailey which I have in black.....any help?