Coach bags for guys

Purses4wife

Mar 1, 2016
Trying to make a long story short, First off I'm a straight male that's married, now I've always had a thing for handbags for as long as I can remember reguardless if they were for men or women there's just something that draws me to them. So ever sense I got my wife started with Coach bags I've always felt like having a bag of my own just because I thought it would be kinda nice, now I know there ain't a whole lot of open minded people in the world and I don't care what people think but I know there are the head turners, now keep in mind I've never carried a bag except when I hold the wifes bag which I never minded doing, so I guess question is how does a typical male enter himself into something like this and the other question is what Coach bags are ok for men to carry?
Sorry bout the long post but it's the best I can do

Reactions: G_aDDICT
Well this is your lucky day! Coach has a whole section on their coach.com website devoted to the men! Shop away....there are a great many bags/briefcases/messengers there that you may like.

I've looked on the coach site but nothing has caught my eye, I however went to our nearest outlet and looked around. The only bag that I had some interest in was the Map bag in the black coated canvas but after looking closely at it more it just looks a little to big for my body, I'm 5'10 180lb slim person. Is there any older bags that are a little smaller than the Map Bag?

I've looked on the coach site but nothing has caught my eye, I however went to our nearest outlet and looked around. The only bag that I had some interest in was the Map bag in the black coated canvas but after looking closely at it more it just looks a little to big for my body, I'm 5'10 180lb slim person. Is there any older bags that are a little smaller than the Map Bag?

Sorry I can't help with that but you could always go to ebay and search for 'men's Coach' and see what comes up? Just a thought.

Trying to make a long story short, First off I'm a straight male that's married, now I've always had a thing for handbags for as long as I can remember reguardless if they were for men or women there's just something that draws me to them. So ever sense I got my wife started with Coach bags I've always felt like having a bag of my own just because I thought it would be kinda nice, now I know there ain't a whole lot of open minded people in the world and I don't care what people think but I know there are the head turners, now keep in mind I've never carried a bag except when I hold the wifes bag which I never minded doing, so I guess question is how does a typical male enter himself into something like this and the other question is what Coach bags are ok for men to carry?

Like has been suggested, go to eBay and search for Coach, choose clothes,shoes and accessories, choose men's accessories, then backpacks, bags and briefcases. You might find something you like under those choices.

Btw, no one says you have to stick with men's items. If you know what style you are interested in such as a backpack style, tote or messenger style, then don't limit yourself to just the men's section. There are plenty of 'women's' styles that are gender neutral and not 'frou frou' looking.

I saw a man in downtown Chicago with a Rogue, the bigger one (36), olive with the Python handles and he looked very stylish with it! He was carrying it by the handles. Have you looked at the Rogues?

The Rogues are nice looking but not to my liking, did some searching on ebay and came up with a list of bags I like although I think the majority look pretty feminine looking.
Sticking to mostly black bags Here's my list:
Small kelsey
Small sadie flap
Sig File bag
Dotted Op Art Convertible Hobo
Rambler legacy
Patricia’s Legacy
Court bag
Peyton Pocket tote
Mini Bennett (brown/black)

Reactions: coachjunkee
The Rogues are nice looking but not to my liking, did some searching on ebay and came up with a list of bags I like although I think the majority look pretty feminine looking.
Small kelsey
Small sadie flap
Sig File bag
Rambler legacy
Patricia’s Legacy
Court bag
Peyton Pocket tote

Sig File bag, rambler legacy, Patricia legacy, and court bag are the ones I think might look ok for a male. I would stay away from bags with thinner straps and handles.

I own a Map bag and I love it. Last winter, it was my go to bag for the harsh Canadian winter. In the past, I used to have a Flight bag from Coach that I loved, which was a a fair amount smaller than the Map bag.

Small kelsey
Small sadie flap
Sig File bag
Rambler legacy
Patricia’s Legacy
Court bag
Peyton Pocket tote

Did you see the stewardess bag? That's a flap bag with a turnlock closure. There are the vintage ones and recently released versions.

I agree with what gbb03 said, you might want to stay away from the ones with thin straps....that being said, if you really like a Kelsey you could get it in black and get a generic wide leather strap for the bag. If you don't want the bag to be too feminine looking just buy a basic color like black, brown or blue and stay away from pink, yellow, etc. If you like the bag and think you can rock it and are comfortable carrying it, don't worry about what others think.

Reactions: Hobbsy
My roomate carries the "Coach Men Heritage Stripe Shoulder Crossbody," he got it from the outlets I believe.

I think that is the name from googling it online, but this is what it looks like:
Bag.png
And from ebay, they seem to have an all black one that looks nice:
Coach.jpg

I hope you find what you are looking for. :smile:

If you don't mind a pre-owned bag my suggestion would be either the Metro Bucket #9432 or the slightly smaller metro Flap #9431, both from around 2000. The Bucket is hard to find and is about the same size as the File bag you tried on and thought was too big. I had one and loved it, until I made the mistake of letting my husband use "once or twice" it to carry a certain "item" needed for his job, and he's refused to give it back, so I guess that's a good recommendation. My DH is an inch or two taller than you and quite a bit heavier and it still fits crossbody on him.

The smaller Metro Flap #9431 has almost the same features, including a wide woven and very long strap that can be used crossbody. It's also a unisex style like the Metro Bucket, measures about 10 or 11 inches side-to-side and top to bottom, and I'd say the strap at max length is about 46-48 inches end to end. There are several listed on Ebay right now in different colors and hardware combinations and a wide price range so you can look at several sets of photos and see if the style appeals to you. (Just don't let your wife "borrow" it or you may never get it back!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coach-Vinta...606772?hash=item236dd627b4:g:QHcAAOSwvg9XdGsh

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-COACH-CROSS-BODY-MESSENGER-BAG-MATTE-GLOVE-LEATHER-BLACK-9431-UNISEX-/182260019964?hash=item2a6f8b32fc:g: pDAAAOSwgY9XczyU

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coach-Tan-L...813143?hash=item5436fd2717:g:YCUAAOSwaB5XkSUQ

And here's Coach's webpage from 2000:
9431_METRO FLAP_wb2000-05.jpg

Good luck!

Last edited:

Why not have your wife help you shop? Since you got her started on Coach, she needs to return the favor, and she can probably best say what looks good on you and what not. Aside from messenger flaps, I think men look great carrying barrel satchels like a doctor's bag or Boston bag. After all, this type of bag was first carried by men.

Also, to veer a little away from Coach, you can check out Roots, which is very popular with both men and women here in Canada.

Kinda overwhelming looking for that "right" bag lol!, I would like the wife's help but I think she might think my screws are coming loose or something so I don't really know a way to tell her without sounding odd. I like the looks of the stewardess bag but I came across the City bag and I like that better. I do have a Nancy Satchel in the closet and a dotted convertible bag, if I get a chance when I'm off work I'll model them to see what you guys think.

Kinda overwhelming looking for that "right" bag lol!, I would like the wife's help but I think she might think my screws are coming loose or something so I don't really know a way to tell her without sounding odd. I like the looks of the stewardess bag but I came across the City bag and I like that better. I do have a Nancy Satchel in the closet and a dotted convertible bag, if I get a chance when I'm off work I'll model them to see what you guys think.

Cool! If you don't know how to approach her on the subject, just show her this thread. :smile: