Scarves Cleaning and Caring for Hermès Scarves

mktlim

Feb 2, 2017
I am searching this thread, trying to learn how to clean my CSGM. Your instructions are clear and reassuring. However, I am not clear on the bolded part: so we also wash the towel, with the shawl rolled inside or do I understand it wrong? Thanks for your reply!

Not OP but I wash the scarf then use a a dry towel to "dry" it. I roll the scarf in the towel (like a sushi roll) to get all the moisture out then lay flat to dry with the towel under.

Hope that helps!

ScarfBloke

Jan 8, 2022
I wash all of my Hermes scarves the following way and have NEVER (touch wood) had any issues!

Infact, they get softer and stay vibrant.

Wash in the bathroom basin using body temperature water. Dissolve a small drop of the gentle detergent into the water first and also use a "Color Catcher" just in case. If there are any stains I use the gentle soap blocks to rub the area and gently massage the stain away.

Spend a few minutes gently swirling the water. If it gets quite dirty, change over the water and repeat.

When you are happy that it is clean (remember that the WATER does the cleaning, not the soap!) you can rinse the scarf a few times in water (body temp).

When finished I gently roll the scarf in a beach towel and dry it flat in the shade.

When it is 90% dry I then gently iron it (I don't use steam) on the coolest setting, with a clean cotton tea towel between the iron and the scarf. As it is still slightly damp, this is sufficient to "press" the scarf without the super hot steam.

PM me if you have any questions!

I am located in Australia and purchased the "Color Catchers" from USA Amazon and the soap and detergent from an Australian producer.

ScarfBloke. wash one.jpg wash two.jpg wash three.jpg

Notorious Pink

Hermès PurseBlogger!
O.G.
Jun 8, 2007
I have only handwashed twillies. In my experience, the original blue Dawn works great. I have tried other detergents but whatever I used dulled the color - Dawn kept the silk vibrant and like new. I don’t iron, either, I just pat it between two white towels and hang to dry, but twillies are pretty small. I’m not really do handwash a scarf just yet!

Karenska

TEAM SCARF MISTRESS 2022
Oct 5, 2018
I have only handwashed twillies. In my experience, the original blue Dawn works great. I have tried other detergents but whatever I used dulled the color - Dawn kept the silk vibrant and like new. I don’t iron, either, I just pat it between two white towels and hang to dry, but twillies are pretty small. I’m not really do handwash a scarf just yet!
My twillies and occasionally 90s are washed in a few drops of Le Blanc.

MartinaHK

Mar 18, 2021
Sorry, I’m still new to the US brands…is the original blue Dawn the dish detergent?

Nomad

Jul 23, 2020
I use laundress. Done the method described above here w swirling, rinsing and towel rolling, avoid hem w iron. Have done all formats except cashmere. Someday I may need to do cashmere :-0. I no longer use a tea towel when ironing. I just iron straight on the silk, including mousselines. I must say that I have an iron and a plastic basin specifically for my silks. Keeps them pristine so I know nothing will ruin the scarves.
Have only had one vintage 90 scarf run on me. Pink water was scary. I think it might have also been the first time I washed a scarf :-0. Then I started to use color catchers in the basin of water. But I don’t do that any longer because new scarves don’t run imo. Though I would use catchers again if washing a very old scarf.
It really is easy to wash and iron a scarf. Def not necessary to pay others to do it.

Hedgehog101

Jan 21, 2022
I use laundress. Done the method described above here w swirling, rinsing and towel rolling, avoid hem w iron. Have done all formats except cashmere. Someday I may need to do cashmere :-0. I no longer use a tea towel when ironing. I just iron straight on the silk, including mousselines. I must say that I have an iron and a plastic basin specifically for my silks. Keeps them pristine so I know nothing will ruin the scarves.
Have only had one vintage 90 scarf run on me. Pink water was scary. I think it might have also been the first time I washed a scarf :-0. Then I started to use color catchers in the basin of water. But I don’t do that any longer because new scarves don’t run imo. Though I would use catchers again if washing a very old scarf.
It really is easy to wash and iron a scarf. Def not necessary to pay others to do it.
I was just looking at Laundress yesterday! Thanks for the info!!

Reactions: Nomad

Fixxi

Aug 31, 2021
How relevant is this thread! Just over the weekend, my one year old squeezed her green fruit/veggie puree pouch, and it got all over my scarf. I dabbed it with baby wipes lightly to mimimize the stain, and hand washed with a small drop of Dawn to get the stains out as soon as I got home.

Dawn is really magic when it comes to clothes, because it is supposed to rid of food/oily substances. With all the chemicals in it, I will be taking my scarf off in the car to prevent future accidents and the need to wash it with such chemicals.

mktlim

Feb 2, 2017
May I ask if you are using this brand? https://soakwash.ca/
And do you use color catcher with soak? Thanks!!

Yes this is the one. I don't use a colour catcher BUT I never wash my scarves in hot water - always cool or room temperature water. I haven't had any colour runs but I can only speak for scarves issued as far back as 2018.

Gourmetgal

Nov 13, 2014

DoggieBags

Jan 28, 2019
Orvus won’t get really set in stains but for dirt and light stain removal it’s very good. It was recommended by a textile conservator I consulted when I used to collect antique lace.

Reactions: MartinaHK