Scarves Cleaning and Caring for Hermès Scarves

I use laundress. Done the method described above here w swirling, rinsing and towel rolling, avoid hem w iron. Have done all formats except cashmere. Someday I may need to do cashmere :-0. I no longer use a tea towel when ironing. I just iron straight on the silk, including mousselines. I must say that I have an iron and a plastic basin specifically for my silks. Keeps them pristine so I know nothing will ruin the scarves.
Have only had one vintage 90 scarf run on me. Pink water was scary. I think it might have also been the first time I washed a scarf :-0. Then I started to use color catchers in the basin of water. But I don’t do that any longer because new scarves don’t run imo. Though I would use catchers again if washing a very old scarf.
It really is easy to wash and iron a scarf. Def not necessary to pay others to do it.
I was just looking at Laundress yesterday! Thanks for the info!!

Reactions: Nomad
How relevant is this thread! Just over the weekend, my one year old squeezed her green fruit/veggie puree pouch, and it got all over my scarf. I dabbed it with baby wipes lightly to mimimize the stain, and hand washed with a small drop of Dawn to get the stains out as soon as I got home.

Dawn is really magic when it comes to clothes, because it is supposed to rid of food/oily substances. With all the chemicals in it, I will be taking my scarf off in the car to prevent future accidents and the need to wash it with such chemicals.

Will it be worth it to buy this used H twilly and clean it myself? I don’t want to spend so much money on it and the dirt won’t even get out. I’m also scared that it may bleed. I don’t want to ruin it.

9FE1EE56-ACE1-45ED-AD2E-65D728DD584C.jpeg

981487E6-A285-4A11-8756-DAAA907D56EF.jpeg

B0EAB6C4-AC2F-48B5-8C40-93DE570FCD52.jpeg

Orvus won’t get really set in stains but for dirt and light stain removal it’s very good. It was recommended by a textile conservator I consulted when I used to collect antique lace.

Reactions: MartinaHK
Hi there,

it is hard to tell considering we don't know where the stain comes from and if it has been treated before.
Origin of stains - never ever have I been able to remove stains resulting from sun protection products for example. Rgd. treatment - I always find that once a piece with a stain has been ironed or tumbled dry, it is impossible for me to get the stain out. It's like the heat tends to seal in the stain somehow?

That being said - I always hand wash my H silk and CSGM scarfs with great results. I always use specific silk detergents and then use the "towel roll" method to take out the excess water. When halfway dry, I check whether all stains / discolorations vanished and then gently press it using a clean white thin cotton muslin between silk and iron to protect the H piece.

So to answer your question - for me it would depend on the price. I would try to find out whether any pre-treatment has been done and if not evaluate whether the loss would be tolerable in case the stain would persist.
Good luck and HTH.

Will it be worth it to buy this used H twilly and clean it myself? I don’t want to spend so much money on it and the dirt won’t even get out. I’m also scared that it may bleed. I don’t want to ruin it.

View attachment 5583419

View attachment 5583420

View attachment 5583421

I guess it depends on the price but honestly, that’s not a very interesting scarf.

Hi there,

it is hard to tell considering we don't know where the stain comes from and if it has been treated before.
Origin of stains - never ever have I been able to remove stains resulting from sun protection products for example. Rgd. treatment - I always find that once a piece with a stain has been ironed or tumbled dry, it is impossible for me to get the stain out. It's like the heat tends to seal in the stain somehow?

That being said - I always hand wash my H silk and CSGM scarfs with great results. I always use specific silk detergents and then use the "towel roll" method to take out the excess water. When halfway dry, I check whether all stains / discolorations vanished and then gently press it using a clean white thin cotton muslin between silk and iron to protect the H piece.

So to answer your question - for me it would depend on the price. I would try to find out whether any pre-treatment has been done and if not evaluate whether the loss would be tolerable in case the stain would persist.
Good luck and HTH.

Thank you both for the feedback. I don’t want to take my chances. The price doesn’t justify the purchase. I appreciate both of y’all’s help and advice! :heart:

Reactions: lifegetsbetterwithh
Hi H Silk Scarf Lovers who are in the LA/Orange County area, I know that some of your prefer to hand wash your silk scarves, but I prefer dry-cleaning especially for fairly new scarves. Do you have any recommendations for me for good dry cleaners who actually know what to do with Hermes scarves (not to mess with the rolled edges, for example)?

I have a handheld steamer which works well on other fabrics - has anyone used a steamer (no contact) on their silks before?

I use a handheld steamer as well but if the intention is to clean a scarf, I don't really get the "clean" feel after I steam mine (I mostly use it to remove wrinkles). I guess it depends on if the scarf is showing signs of dirt/stains or not. I still prefer to wash them once in awhile if I use them more often.

Reactions: angelusnovus01