Scarves Cleaning and Caring for Hermès Scarves

Great! I just bought their wool and cashmere shampoo, will try out and see how it goes. Thanks!

Can I ask how did you dry them? Did you wring the water out?

I made my first attempt to get 140 shawls online (I bought 2!) and it arrives with some kind of smell and very much want to wash them prior to wearing them. Hmm... wonder should I air it and wear a couple of times first before washing it. :angel:
Spread out on a clean big bath towel. Roll up together and wash by squeeze gently just like washing a droopy sweater.

Rinse well until the water runs clean.

Then unroll and dry flat.

I have mesh sweater driers & I group them together. Also the shawl gets moved around as it dries so the are no pressure points. You can keep measuring and teaseing into shape as necessary.
When it starts to get dryer you can hang it over a smooth & clean rail rail & keep moving around.

I’ve dried everything on dry clean grass and but you have to be extremely vigilant.

Also you want to twang the hems to carefully tease them back to original size. I’d measure the hems before washing so you can get it back into the same shape.

Really treat it like washing a precious sweater & you won’t go wrong.

Good luck & let us know how everything goes?

Sorry I’m doing this on my phone & it’s hard to edit.
Let me know if you need more details or corrections.

Each time I hand wash a scarf or shawl, I’m encanting thanks to the H manufacturers for the quality and durability of those costly squares of beauty. I found both the pure silk and the cashmere silks to be extremely resilient, and in the case of the pre-owned I occasionally add to my collection I’ve found they stand up to the aggressive techniques I apply to rid them of someone else’s … whatever it was that was on/in the fabric. Hot water reveals the smell-history of the scarf and is my step 1 to purging and re-homing to me! I use what’s handy - a bit of unscented washing machine liquid, followed by as many rinses as I have the patience for (and sometimes a second soaping). After wringing out the water I wave/snap in the air, holding just inside the top two hemmed corners, and then hang over a drying rack. I haven’t ironed because the shaking I did + hanging with care essentially blocked the square.
Really have never had a negative experience/outcome washing.

Each time I hand wash a scarf or shawl, I’m encanting thanks to the H manufacturers for the quality and durability of those costly squares of beauty. I found both the pure silk and the cashmere silks to be extremely resilient, and in the case of the pre-owned I occasionally add to my collection I’ve found they stand up to the aggressive techniques I apply to rid them of someone else’s … whatever it was that was on/in the fabric. Hot water reveals the smell-history of the scarf and is my step 1 to purging and re-homing to me! I use what’s handy - a bit of unscented washing machine liquid, followed by as many rinses as I have the patience for (and sometimes a second soaping). After wringing out the water I wave/snap in the air, holding just inside the top two hemmed corners, and then hang over a drying rack. I haven’t ironed because the shaking I did + hanging with care essentially blocked the square.
Great approach LailaT!
You remind me that when the cocoons are unwound from the silkworms they are put into hot water to separate the strands. Silk is really really sturdy. Trying to find something about how sturdy silk was used in the war.

Really couldn’t resist putting this out there for PF silk fanatics. Mods if this link goes too far off topic please delete.

Really the only problem is if you have a problem. Once a cherished piece has damage it is unlightly yo return to its previous condition.

If I love something enough to adopt & care for it will try to make sure it remains in good condition.

Greetings H scarf lovers,
I am interested in getting the Acynonyx Jubatus 140 shawl (wash silk) from the pre loved market. Im generally very untidy when wearing silk scarf :doh:. My silk scarf will slip and slide all over the place haha. Thats why i only wear small size silks. Easier to manage and rerrange when messy. But I really like this cheetah design so I was hoping someone who has a wash silk shawl/scarf can help me...Is wash silk easier to wear than normal silk? I thought because its lighter, it will stay on better...or is it the other way around, will slip easier?
In H website, for normal shawl, it is advisable to not get it wet and to protect it from rain (I actually just found out about this). Is it the same with wash silk? I tend to wear my shawls (from other brands) in all weather including rainy days...What will happen to the shawl if it get rained on?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi all!

Does anyone have any recommendations to where I can get an Hermes scarf steam pressed in the Rockland area?

we are framing a scarf so we need it pressed, but i don’t know the area so I’m hesitant about randomly taking it to a dry cleaner that if they damage it, won’t reimburse me and I’ll be out of a scarf.
Tia!

Spread out on a clean big bath towel. Roll up together and wash by squeeze gently just like washing a droopy sweater.

Rinse well until the water runs clean.

Then unroll and dry flat.

I have mesh sweater driers & I group them together. Also the shawl gets moved around as it dries so the are no pressure points. You can keep measuring and teaseing into shape as necessary.
When it starts to get dryer you can hang it over a smooth & clean rail rail & keep moving around.

I’ve dried everything on dry clean grass and but you have to be extremely vigilant.

Also you want to twang the hems to carefully tease them back to original size. I’d measure the hems before washing so you can get it back into the same shape.

Really treat it like washing a precious sweater & you won’t go wrong.

Good luck & let us know how everything goes?

Sorry I’m doing this on my phone & it’s hard to edit.
Let me know if you need more details or corrections.
I am searching this thread, trying to learn how to clean my CSGM. Your instructions are clear and reassuring. However, I am not clear on the bolded part: so we also wash the towel, with the shawl rolled inside or do I understand it wrong? Thanks for your reply!

I am searching this thread, trying to learn how to clean my CSGM. Your instructions are clear and reassuring. However, I am not clear on the bolded part: so we also wash the towel, with the shawl rolled inside or do I understand it wrong? Thanks for your reply!

Not OP but I wash the scarf then use a a dry towel to "dry" it. I roll the scarf in the towel (like a sushi roll) to get all the moisture out then lay flat to dry with the towel under.

Hope that helps!

I wash all of my Hermes scarves the following way and have NEVER (touch wood) had any issues!

Infact, they get softer and stay vibrant.

Wash in the bathroom basin using body temperature water. Dissolve a small drop of the gentle detergent into the water first and also use a "Color Catcher" just in case. If there are any stains I use the gentle soap blocks to rub the area and gently massage the stain away.

Spend a few minutes gently swirling the water. If it gets quite dirty, change over the water and repeat.

When you are happy that it is clean (remember that the WATER does the cleaning, not the soap!) you can rinse the scarf a few times in water (body temp).

When finished I gently roll the scarf in a beach towel and dry it flat in the shade.

When it is 90% dry I then gently iron it (I don't use steam) on the coolest setting, with a clean cotton tea towel between the iron and the scarf. As it is still slightly damp, this is sufficient to "press" the scarf without the super hot steam.

PM me if you have any questions!

I am located in Australia and purchased the "Color Catchers" from USA Amazon and the soap and detergent from an Australian producer.

ScarfBloke.wash one.jpgwash two.jpgwash three.jpg

I have only handwashed twillies. In my experience, the original blue Dawn works great. I have tried other detergents but whatever I used dulled the color - Dawn kept the silk vibrant and like new. I don’t iron, either, I just pat it between two white towels and hang to dry, but twillies are pretty small. I’m not really do handwash a scarf just yet!

I have only handwashed twillies. In my experience, the original blue Dawn works great. I have tried other detergents but whatever I used dulled the color - Dawn kept the silk vibrant and like new. I don’t iron, either, I just pat it between two white towels and hang to dry, but twillies are pretty small. I’m not really do handwash a scarf just yet!
My twillies and occasionally 90s are washed in a few drops of Le Blanc.

Sorry, I’m still new to the US brands…is the original blue Dawn the dish detergent?

I use laundress. Done the method described above here w swirling, rinsing and towel rolling, avoid hem w iron. Have done all formats except cashmere. Someday I may need to do cashmere :-0. I no longer use a tea towel when ironing. I just iron straight on the silk, including mousselines. I must say that I have an iron and a plastic basin specifically for my silks. Keeps them pristine so I know nothing will ruin the scarves.
Have only had one vintage 90 scarf run on me. Pink water was scary. I think it might have also been the first time I washed a scarf :-0. Then I started to use color catchers in the basin of water. But I don’t do that any longer because new scarves don’t run imo. Though I would use catchers again if washing a very old scarf.
It really is easy to wash and iron a scarf. Def not necessary to pay others to do it.