Scarves Cleaning and Caring for Hermès Scarves

i always wash all my csgm (handwashing) with with woolite or mir laine in tepid water
with great results ...
no more peelings ... great softeness - and also better for 1000 reasons that all chemicals that is used in dry cleaning
Cashemire is the only wool which loves water
my friend use to wash them in her washing machine (wool program) with great success - I don't only because mine is an old one

Reactions: papertiger
i always wash all my csgm (handwashing) with with woolite or mir laine in tepid water
with great results ...
no more peelings ... great softeness - and also better for 1000 reasons that all chemicals that is used in dry cleaning
Cashemire is the only wool which loves water
my friend use to wash them in her washing machine (wool program) with great success - I don't only because mine is an old one

Have read through the entire thread, so much useful advice re. washing the scarves. However, can anyone chime in re. washing and ironing mousseline changeants? I have two 140, the first one used quite a lot already and has become much more "scrunched up" than usual twill 90ies. I have used a bottle and gently sprayed with water from a distance, and the result is a rather crinkly and a bit softer scarf. Since it is a changeante I haven't dared ironing it - has anyone done this without damage to their scarves? I have just acquired another one which is brand new and rather more stiff, but even when I lightly drape it on my couch to get a feel for the colours and patterns, it becomes rather crunched and doesn't bounce back like ordinary silk does (at least to a degree). I would love for this lasat one not to become crinkly, so any advice would be heartly welcomed!

Have read through the entire thread, so much useful advice re. washing the scarves. However, can anyone chime in re. washing and ironing mousseline changeants? I have two 140, the first one used quite a lot already and has become much more "scrunched up" than usual twill 90ies. I have used a bottle and gently sprayed with water from a distance, and the result is a rather crinkly and a bit softer scarf. Since it is a changeante I haven't dared ironing it - has anyone done this without damage to their scarves? I have just acquired another one which is brand new and rather more stiff, but even when I lightly drape it on my couch to get a feel for the colours and patterns, it becomes rather crunched and doesn't bounce back like ordinary silk does (at least to a degree). I would love for this lasat one not to become crinkly, so any advice would be heartly welcomed!

Hi eliwon, aren't changeants mesmerizing and addictive?

I have two New Springs GM changeants. Both have been washed many many times. I wash mine in cold water on the hand wash cycle & iron them while still damp to get that smooth uncrinkled finish.

The mousses are to my mind incredibly sturdy. I had to multiple wash a BNIB mous bought in an H store as it smelt absolutely gross so I got over any fear that the fabric is at delicate.

However you do have to treat all expensive fabric with respect. I'd suggest you start by hand washing and iron carefully or if the shawl is really clean just iron on steam. I always start on the back side to avoid the print dyes and see how it goes.

Never iron the Matt blanc surface dye as it will melt into your iron. You can however iron Matt blanc on the wrong side on a lower temperature.

Good luck!

Have to add on to this

your equipment has to be impeccable. If you use a washing machine you have too know that there is no debris circulating in the wash system as any little bits of hard material etc might cause a pull. Your iron and ironing board have to be residue free of any starch or iron cleaning products which might possibly transfer to onto your silk.

Get a dedicated plastic wash bowel to wash you scarves in the sink. Then you know it will be grease and product free. Also the surface will be smooth with no tough edges to catch on the silk.

I have a dedicated metallic fabric iron cover that works wonders ironing silk. You can lower the temperature a bit as the heat of the iron is reflected back into the silk so both sides get ironed at once.

Haven't read all the way through the thread recently, most of this has probably been covered before but I didn't want you to just charge into this project without taking a few extra precautions.

Again good luck!

Last edited:
Hi eliwon, aren't changeants mesmerizing and addictive?

I have two New Springs GM changeants. Both have been washed many many times. I wash mine in cold water on the hand wash cycle & iron them while still damp to get that smooth uncrinkled finish.

The mousses are to my mind incredibly sturdy. I had to multiple wash a BNIB mous bought in an H store as it smelt absolutely gross so I got over any fear that the fabric is at delicate.

However you do have to treat all expensive fabric with respect. I'd suggest you start by hand washing and iron carefully or if the shawl is really clean just iron on steam. I always start on the back side to avoid the print dyes and see how it goes.

Never iron the Matt blanc surface dye as it will melt into your iron. You can however iron Matt blanc on the wrong side on a lower temperature.

Good luck!

Have to add on to this

your equipment has to be impeccable. If you use a washing machine you have too know that there is no debris circulating in the wash system as any little bits of hard material etc might cause a pull. Your iron and ironing board have to be residue free of any starch or iron cleaning products which might possibly transfer to onto your silk.

Get a dedicated plastic wash bowel to wash you scarves in the sink. Then you know it will be grease and product free. Also the surface will be smooth with no tough edges to catch on the silk.

I have a dedicated metallic fabric iron cover that works wonders ironing silk. You can lower the temperature a bit as the heat of the iron is reflected back into the silk so both sides get ironed at once.

Haven't read all the way through the thread recently, most of this has probably been covered before but I didn't want you to just charge into this project without taking a few extra precautions.

Again good luck!

Dear purplepoodles! A heartfelt thanks for your kind and informative reply - this is really good advice! I have hand washed silk scarves and blouses for years without problems, apart from an old H scarf, Cliquetis, with a lot of black bleeding from it even after several washings. The water will not be a problem, no added chloride or anything, and I believe using a mild detergent, esp. made for wool and silkes will work for ordinary silks. It's just the moussies; my two ordinary moussies seem very sturdy compared to the "flimsyness" of the changeants, that scare me soo much. :smile: But when needed, I will follow your tips, have them printed out just not to forget important details. and yes, I am well and truly hooked on the changeants, the moussies and the DDs - mine are all muted CWs and i'd love to keep them in good shape for a long time :smile:

I hand wash my scarves using a small amount of detergent ( no particular kind ) and then several cold rinses. Then roll in a towel and drape over something wide ( not narrow like an airer ). A banister on my landing is ideal for the job and they dry quite quickly so it's not unsightly for long - if an H can be unsightly!
Here are a couple of mine having a soak

View attachment 3580675
This seems so simple a recipe. Yet, I am positive I would mess it up somehow: I know my limitations. :hrmm: Everyone on this thread is a brave soul. I hand mine over to H, in bulk, monthly; but if I were to ever try it, I would certainly use your method.

It is really simple - I promise! I live in a village so it's miles to a dry cleaner. I was somewhat nervous the first time but soon got over that when I saw no harm came to them ( and the world didn't end ) !
Forgot to add that I iron them on a hot setting ( no steam ) and the creases come back beautifully.

Reactions: Mali_
This seems so simple a recipe. Yet, I am positive I would mess it up somehow: I know my limitations. :hrmm: Everyone on this thread is a brave soul. I hand mine over to H, in bulk, monthly; but if I were to ever try it, I would certainly use your method.

I used to do the same but H no longer take in dry-cleaning (at least in the UK).

I have now hand-washed silk and cashmeres by hand and I'm more pleased with the results than when they were dry-cleaned. I was a total non-believer, scaredy-cat! But the thought of trusting the post-office and sending my scarves by post to the dry-cleaners (used by H) was an even more frightening prospect.

Agree with @cvw1004 it's all about tepid temp, gentlest detergent and not leaving them in one position soaking (though I don't think I could bring myself to put my scarves in a washing machine (very ordinary 2 y o AEG))

In the Summer or on a breezy sunny day it takes hardly any time at all to wash and dry a scarf. Unlike @alismarr I don't mix colours at all, neither in the original 'cleansing' or rinsing stages just in case colours bleed. I lay scarves flat on a newly washed, thick, white towel, roll, wait a min, unroll and hang. Sometimes it takes no ore than a few min to dry completely. NO IRONING necessary.

Last edited:
^
I forget to add, it has completely changed my (scarf) life. I feel more carefree wearing and using plus I don't stick to dark scarves for practical reasons when they all come out of the wash looking so good.

By the same principle I hand-washed a couple of Roberto Cavalli evening dresses which also came out brilliantly and by so doing saved myself £120 (about $160) - which I can put towards more H ;)

^
I forget to add, it has completely changed my (scarf) life. I feel more carefree wearing and using plus I don't stick to dark scarves for practical reasons when they all come out of the wash looking so good.

By the same principle I hand-washed a couple of Roberto Cavalli evening dresses which also came out brilliantly and by so doing saved myself £120 (about $160) - which I can put towards more H ;)
You are both wise and talented....

Reactions: papertiger
Reactions: Holsby
I have a new Robert Dallet cashmere and silk140 shawl and intend on hand washing it when the time comes. I am a bit concerned that the red border will bleed into the off white fabric. Has anyone tried hand washing this scarf? TIA.:flowers:

I have a new Robert Dallet cashmere and silk140 shawl and intend on hand washing it when the time comes. I am a bit concerned that the red border will bleed into the off white fabric. Has anyone tried hand washing this scarf? TIA.:flowers:
Hi Chagall. My son dropped a boat of gravy on mine the first time I wore it. All I had on hand was some linen napkins and the ladies toilet to run to. I dabbed as much off as I could with wet napkins then spot-washed the stains with hand soap and warm water. I didn't touch the red edge but the scarf was like new. I dried it under the hand-drier and you couldn't see where the gravy had been - and there had been quite a lot. Not even any water marks. I don't know if you are wanting to wash the whole thing but thought my story may be of help if you are looking to just wash parts.

Reactions: Chagall
Hi Chagall. My son dropped a boat of gravy on mine the first time I wore it. All I had on hand was some linen napkins and the ladies toilet to run to. I dabbed as much off as I could with wet napkins then spot-washed the stains with hand soap and warm water. I didn't touch the red edge but the scarf was like new. I dried it under the hand-drier and you couldn't see where the gravy had been - and there had been quite a lot. Not even any water marks. I don't know if you are wanting to wash the whole thing but thought my story may be of help if you are looking to just wash parts.
Thank you for your reply. It is so encouraging to hear of your good results for the spot cleaning. It must have been heartbreaking for this to happen, especially on your first wearing of this beautiful scarf. I am actually planning to wash the whole scarf when it needs it because I avoid dry cleaning whenever possible because of some bad experiences. You sign a waiver so if something goes wrong you are escentially on your own. It sounds like careful hand washing should be ok then.:flowers:

Reactions: Pautinka
The cold season is pretty much over here so I handwashed all my cashmere/silk scarves before putting them back in storage. I let each scarf soak in cool water with a few drops of Eucalan detergent, rinsed with cool water, rolled the scarf in a white terry towel to remove the excess moisture and ironed on the silk/wool setting while it was still a bit moist (taking care not to flatten the rolled hems). I decided not to press the folds as I had heard that it could weaken the fibers over time. They look as good as new.

Reactions: Chagall