City vs. Classic/First/Classique?

Thank you, ladies, once again for the warm welcome and all the advice!:love:
I think I finally did make up my mind about the style and the color.:nuts: I will keep you gals posted and def. will post pictures when the bag arrives!:yes: :graucho:

WOW .... that's exciting :nuts: !! Can't wait to see pics ;) ! Congrats 'I' H_addict to your first Balenciaga bag :flowers: :love:

I'm just wondering, what is the main difference between a city and a first? (I know it's probably really obvious to most of you, but I'm a newbie to bbags!!)

I don't have a store here that sells Balenciaga, so I can't go check it out myself. From what I see online, the main difference is the size?

I'm asking because I want to buy a twiggy in some shade of red, but can't for the life of me find one! I have come across some red citys, and am about to throw in the towel and get one of those instead. But I already have an ivoire first, and if the bags are more or less the same i'd rather just maybe get a black twiggy instead. I would get both, but I think i have run out of excuses (used my birthday twice, and my new job I believe three times already) and money to do so. :rolleyes:

Advice? Thank you thank you!!!

Do a search.. you can view plenty of Firsts and Cities in the 'whats in your bbag', 'photos wearing your bbags' stickies, and also in the reference section . The difference lies in the size. The First is smaller than the City. You can find the dimensions here.
What size bag you get depends on what you're intending to use it for. Most people prefer a City for daily use. I love the Twiggy style as it looks cute and holds heaps.
As for getting a red - what shade of red are you after? rosy red, purpley red, coral etc. Bbag colors come out in seasons. There will be a Vermillion (red) out for Spring/Summer 08 (aka S/S08) and is part of the main collection which is due to be released in Feb/Mar/Apr.
Or, you could do a search on eby for previous reds released, but I would get them authenticated on here (find the appropriate thread on the forum - I think it is under the shopping section but am not sure) before bidding on it as there are plenty of fakes around.
Gd luck!

grenat was from 2006, not impossible to find. you can try ebay or checking with aloha rag (i got a grenat first from them last month, not sure if its still available). check the colour reference in the reference section to check which colour came out which year & season.

i recently received a city (have not had the chance to use it yet) & i gotta say it looks like it holds alot more than a first. with the first, i constantly have to arrange my stuff neatly to ensure they all fit in, i wouldnt think thats necessary for the city.

grenat was from 2006, not impossible to find. you can try ebay or checking with aloha rag (i got a grenat first from them last month, not sure if its still available). check the colour reference in the reference section to check which colour came out which year & season.

i recently received a city (have not had the chance to use it yet) & i gotta say it looks like it holds alot more than a first. with the first, i constantly have to arrange my stuff neatly to ensure they all fit in, i wouldnt think thats necessary for the city.

You may even want to call BalNY, on the off chance that they might have one. I purchased my Grenat City brand new from Bal only about two or three weeks ago :tup:

The Grenat is lovely. I know you didn't ask this but in my opinion, the smaller size is better. I think the bag looks better when it is fuller and I tend to NOT carry alot of stuff. One reason being I don't want to overstress my handbags.

when I carry a little - like wallet keys sunnies phone lipgloss, then the first is great; I also use my First (or LV pochette) when I need a small bag to slide into a larger bag. As an everyday bag the first too small for me, the city is alot better size!

hope this helps...watch out though, if you have an addictive personality, you will end up with one of each anyway!!! then a day, work, PT, weekender, etc LOL

when I carry a little - like wallet keys sunnies phone lipgloss, then the first is great; I also use my First (or LV pochette) when I need a small bag to slide into a larger bag. As an everyday bag the first too small for me, the city is alot better size!

hope this helps...watch out though, if you have an addictive personality, you will end up with one of each anyway!!! then a day, work, PT, weekender, etc LOL

Haha, I think that's the idea :tup:

I went to the reference library but I didn't see a side by side comparison or sizes listed for the "First" bags.

I also see all different measurements when I look at them online.:confused1:

Is the First bag alot smaller then the City?

Can someone please post side by side comparison?
Did the sizing of both bags stay consistent thru the years?

Thanks!!