Check you new Chanel bag carefully for defects....

Wow, I can't believe Chanel missed the stitches like this. Now I want to go through each of my bags and examine the quality.

I recently got a square mini from the Paris boutique store and I believe this is also a defected one. The bottom on the inside of the flap is not perfectly flat and looks like some leather weren't tugged in all the way. I compared it to my other minis and they are all perfectly flat unlike this one purchased from Paris. I had been lucky with my Chanel purchases until now and I will have to examine the bags in detail in the future. :sad:

I definitely do inspect really carefully at the store, after some really bad experiences (mostly with the classics). I am not working with a regular SA, because I have only moved here a few years ago, and still go back to London a lot so I do my shopping there. But mostly bc the SAs in Toronto are terrible. Going bit off the point here, what bothers me about it is that when I ask to see a few more bags to pick the one I want, they always always bring the current one back and bring out another one, so I can only inspect one bag at the time, I keep thinking is she just bringing out the same one? lol. I am not sure if this is a North American or Canadian thing, or just because I am not working with a regular SA here, but I never have this problem in London where I pick the best looking one out of the bunch like I am at a grocery store picking apples. I just feel that with the prices we pay for Chanels, we really shouldn't have to pick the best bag while finding major flaws with the ones we don't want.

And ladies, this doesn't just apply to bags, please inspect your RTW, jewelry, and shoes as well.

yikes! perhaps i need to start inspecting items.. if DH even suspects quality is questionable with this brand..i think he would let me buy anything but Chanel...:sad:

yikes! perhaps i need to start inspecting items.. if DH even suspects quality is questionable with this brand..i think he would let me buy anything but Chanel...:sad:

Yes. So I am sending back a bag due to quality issues. Told DH and he replied, "see? Hope you realize it's just not worth the cost!"

Do you consider this an actionable defect? Or so minor it wouldn't be worth the trouble of an exchange?

Two edges of the chevron stripe have these dents. They're both on the back and hardly noticeable. However i can see and feel them and they're not dents from outside pressure, but because the foam seems to be short or missing underneath the lambskin. No amount of rubbing will smooth it out.

What do you guys think??

"Relax, it's normal" (keep) or "I shouldn't settle for any condition issues" (exchange)?? Honestly hoping I don't have to do anything and also don't want to risk finding another one with worse of problems and wasting other people's and my time. Plus... it's perfect otherwise. It's just that nagging feeling of knowing there are flaws... AHHH!

FullSizeRender.jpg

Bottom right corner. 6th stripe from the bottom left:
IMG_1484545429.094260.jpg

Left side corner. 4th stripe from the top:
IMG_1484545445.913974.jpg

Last edited:
Do you consider this an actionable defect? Or so minor it wouldn't be worth the trouble of an exchange?

Two edges of the chevron stripe have these dents. They're both on the back and hardly noticeable. However i can see and feel them and they're not dents from outside pressure, but because the foam seems to be short or missing underneath the lambskin. No amount of rubbing will smooth it out.

What do you guys think??

"Relax, it's normal" (keep) or "I shouldn't settle for any condition issues" (exchange)?? Honestly hoping I don't have to do anything and also don't want to risk finding another one with worse of problems and wasting other people's and my time. Plus... it's perfect otherwise. It's just that nagging feeling of knowing there are flaws... AHHH!

View attachment 3575891

Bottom right corner. 6th stripe from the bottom left:
View attachment 3575888

Left side corner. 4th stripe from the top:
View attachment 3575889
The Bag Is Beautiful!! Honestly I had an issue with my Boy Handle Bag. There was literally (smaller than the size of pin) a part on the leather that was not dyed. It was cream. My SA could see it with the photos I sent, so he managed to get 2 of the same bags in the store. I am SO thankful I took the 3 hour drive. The others were not nearly as nice as mine. I personally like the puffy quilting and am VERY picky. I ended up keeping mine and sent to the leather surgeons. I think it depends on if they have another one, because yours is beautiful! My vote would be to keep it, just putting my 2 cents in.

Right? I don't wanna make people do all this extra work only to find out the others aren't any better. I mean... I already had the bag sent in from out of state as it is... :smile:

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm that much closer to inner peace and acceptance. XP

Reactions: lexus72
No amount of pointing out defects or letting Chanel know will matter. I have little doubt they already know how many bags are defective. But as long as customers keep buying, the profits keep growing, so no change is to be expected. Witness the huge price increases in recent years; buyers keep buying, undaunted. The only drop in sales will be long-term as the brand reputation deteriorates. Executives in charge would need to adopt a long-term rather than quarterly outlook, and they get paid on short term quarterly earnings, not the long term perception of the brand.

Reactions: ahhgoo
Hello dear all, I purchased this Bag 10 days ago and then I left for holidays and left the bag at home. Now that I have returned I recognized the wrinkles in the Caviar leather on the right side of the back. Would you consider this normal? This is my first Caviar Chanel Bag. Thank you so much!!

Attachments

• IMG_5512.JPG
    IMG_5512.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 1,006
Hello dear all, I purchased this Bag 10 days ago and then I left for holidays and left the bag at home. Now that I have returned I recognized the wrinkles in the Caviar leather on the right side of the back. Would you consider this normal? This is my first Caviar Chanel Bag. Thank you so much!!
That's strange - was that there before? I've had this happen to my bags that were near something too hot so the leather wrinkled after only 20 minutes!! Is this what happened since the wrinkles look gradual and not isolated to defined one spot.

I understand that nothing is going to be 100% perfect, but it is slightly hard to tell by the picture I posted of the piece of paper under the thread not sewn down. It was 3/4" long and on the front of the bag on the flap and close to the edge. All I could imagine was getting this thread caught on something and the whole row of stitches ripping off. I wouldn't have been bother by a slightly crooked stitch, but for $5500 this defect was unacceptable! I am looking to add 2-3 more classic pieces to my collection and then consign some older pieces I own that don't fit my lifestyle. Looks like this might be harder than I thought! :smile:
even a $500 contemporary designer handbag can do better quality control than Chanel now. Some contemporary designer brands claim their bangs are hand made as well , they are not seen this many miss stitching.

I had a weird stitch on my Gabby. The SA recognized it as a flawed bag and offered to replace it. Tags were still on and I had it for a few hours. The stitch is too long and the thread is extremely thin in that area, so thin you can barely see it. I pictured it breaking after just a few uses.

I also thought about buying a Boy bag. The lock didn’t close properly- it popped open by itself. I told the SA at the boutique. She said she could have a new Boy bag sent if I wanted it. I declined. Visiting the boutique days late, I noticed my Gabby and the Boy bag were placed back on the shelf, and eventually sold to other customers. I couldn’t believe it! Yes, check your bags before paying, if possible.

Its sad to read about the disappointments. Chanel really needs to improve their workmanship.

5F7C77AF-ABAA-4E20-9FB7-1E302287C93C.jpeg

Yikes - these quality issues are really disturbing.

Question for anyone who's inspected bags in the store before purchasing - at what point do you ask your SA to inspect and choose one? I was never given the option to inspect anything when I got my WOC at New Bond St in London and the SAs seemed really annoyed when I asked to inspect after they had boxed it. When I picked up a pair of earrings at Ala Moana a few weeks ago, the SA gave me a quick look to check that they were the right style. Similarly, when I picked up my shoes in SF (home store), my friend's SA just boxed them and rang them up for us.

Just wondering etiquette-wise when it's a good time to bring it up... :\

Reactions: CowsGoMoo