Chanel to stop refinishing/refurbishing bags over 5 yrs old!?

Wow! I just read through all of the posts and I'm floored. The selling point of Chanel is that it is timeless and great quality. Timeless means it can and will be passed on to daughters, grand daughters, etc. So I guess they are out of luck. Great quality means I shouldn't HAVE to get a repair sooner than 5 years. So this leaves me SMH! Crazy price increases, lowered quality and now severely restricted service. What a disappointment for a brand with a wonderful heritage. Buying a new Chanel is a wonderful experience full of expectation that the brand no longer seems to want to meet.

That all being said, I don't see this as killing the resale market. A person buying resale can still get their bag serviced well through high quality shops like LS. Yes, I know they aren't Chanel but, then, if you buy resale / vintage, I would think you are likely comfortable using vendors Chanel themselves uses. And, I include myself in that statement. So, as long as a vendor does the repair and refurbishing at a stellar level, does it matter? I'm asking this honestly, and looking for the group's input as I'm not getting how this will deter resale. What am I missing here?

Wow! I just read through all of the posts and I'm floored. The selling point of Chanel is that it is timeless and great quality. Timeless means it can and will be passed on to daughters, grand daughters, etc. So I guess they are out of luck. Great quality means I shouldn't HAVE to get a repair sooner than 5 years. So this leaves me SMH! Crazy price increases, lowered quality and now severely restricted service. What a disappointment for a brand with a wonderful heritage. Buying a new Chanel is a wonderful experience full of expectation that the brand no longer seems to want to meet.

That all being said, I don't see this as killing the resale market. A person buying resale can still get their bag serviced well through high quality shops like LS. Yes, I know they aren't Chanel but, then, if you buy resale / vintage, I would think you are likely comfortable using vendors Chanel themselves uses. And, I include myself in that statement. So, as long as a vendor does the repair and refurbishing at a stellar level, does it matter? I'm asking this honestly, and looking for the group's input as I'm not getting how this will deter resale. What am I missing here?

I imagine that it will affect resale and vintage if there is no receipt provided with the sale. I understand that re-dyeing, cleaning and replacing could be done at the authorized leather repairer, but what about hardware replacement? I envision Chanel controlling parts supply to authorized vendors to match the drastically reduced number of refurbs that they will send out. Perhaps I worry unneccessaily. I still have a few vintage styles on my wish list and look forward to reading other folks opinions ans speculations before deciding.

Oh well if this is true, but I hate to hear it. Anyhow, Chanel prices for repair and refurbishment are really getting ridiculous. I just received my vintage Chanel Jumbo XL back from Leather Surgeons today and I could not be more pleased. They did an amazing job. I think they have a regular customer in me. Sending them my Hermes Box Kelly next!

It covers all bags, so even if you have a receipt, if the bag is older than five years they will not refurbish, re dye, etc.

So let's break done the process as they explained to me this morning:

1) you must have receipt to go to the chanel repair dept. They will ask you this as soon as you walk in their door. If you don't have it, they will automatically turn you away.
2) if your bag is less than 5yrs and you have receipt you are covered for repairs, refurbishment, cleaning, re dye, etc.
3) if older than five years you must have receipt and you are only covered for hardware repairs. No re dye, no cleaning, no refurbishment, no conditioning, etc.

Hope this is clearer.

That's actually quite reasonable compared to Europe now that you've explained the details - at least where I am, you're not covered for anything but obvious defects shortly after purchase and hardware defects for the first two years - all other repairs and refurbishment go to the authorized service point and you get charged for it.
When I need repairs I just go straight to the service point, bypassing the store.

Wonder if this is a US only thing, will ask next time I go to the store.

^^^Need to get more organized like you....LOL.

Oh well I guess if I need anything Leather Surgeons it is. They're the ones who do it anyway. Basically all this does is cut out the middleman. (Chanel).

I would imagine most of the dept stores as well as boutiques can pull up the purchase. What this may hurt are resellers who are gouging others with very high prices of hard to find items as they prob don't want to give you the receipt to show pricing.

Knowing now this is the new normal, we will have to accept bags having work done elsewhere but be more diligent in asking what it was. I wonder too if Chanel will appoint LS or others as authorized repair places since they are taking the headache off their hands.

That's actually quite reasonable compared to Europe now that you've explained the details - at least where I am, you're not covered for anything but obvious defects shortly after purchase and hardware defects for the first two years - all other repairs and refurbishment go to the authorized service point and you get charged for it.
When I need repairs I just go straight to the service point, bypassing the store.

Wonder if this is a US only thing, will ask next time I go to the store.

For the US, it is first year free repair. That's for manufacturing defect I think, not sure if this free repair covers wear and tear or customer negligence.

After first year, all repairs are charged. This has always been so.

The new rule is that Chanel will not accept bags more than five years old for repairs, i.e. even if the customer is willing to pay, Chanel will refuse to do it.

I just read through this thread and I'm disappointed... guess the Chanel bag I bought this year will be the first and last. I also didn't even have a good experience with it as I brought it in for hardware replacement a week after purchasing it (dents in the CC) and customer service is not the same when you want a repair versus when you're in the market for a new bag. Shame.