Chanel snake/python/exotic leather care & maintenance

I own 4 python Chanels and I use the DYO reptile conditioner. When the scales start to lift even slightly, that's when you know it's definitely time to condition them. Conditioning once a season is good.

I am contemplating buying a flap in mat python (the one from Cruise 2010). As you have a mat one in your avatar and a light color, I wonder, do you experience any color transfer? Do you wear it on dark clothes. I love light colored bags on black clothing. Do you notice a difference in patent python versus mat python. I'd think mat is more delicate? Do you often wear your bags?

I'm sorry for so many questions, I' d just want to be sure.

Thank you so much in advance.

sorry if this is a little too late a reply, but dyo reptile conditioner is basically the same as their leather conditioner. they just market it under a different name just so you ladies know. and to use it is pretty simple. put some on a smooth cloth, like a car chamois and rub the conditioner in. when that's done, you'd want to buff it out going down along the scales. and trust me, python is more durable than we'd like to give it credit for. i just finished dying my brown jockey python black using spirit based dye and a paintbrush! :biggrin:

i self conditioned my python today with dyo reptile conditioner and it worked wonderfully! i'm not sure how often chanel treats their exotics when it is in the display cases but mine looked and felt a bit dry.

after rubbing some of the conditioner on liberally with an old white t shirt, the bag looks very quenched and i love it!

Please post your Chanel bag and chanel leather care questions here.

Please do a search first to make sure your question hasn't already been answered.

Chanel related questions only please

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Doc!

Thanks for starting this thread! My question is on Chanel Lizard Care.

I did a quick search on Lizard care and it seems that the 3 products we can use are Blackrocks, Meltonian Cleaner/Conditioner, and Fiebings Reptile conditioner. On one of the posts, you warned that we should only use it if the finish is "matte." I have a vintage Chanel lizard that's a glossy lizard. What would you recommend for nourishing and moisturizing it? THanks much!

Hi Doc!

Thanks for starting this thread! My question is on Chanel Lizard Care.

I did a quick search on Lizard care and it seems that the 3 products we can use are Blackrocks, Meltonian Cleaner/Conditioner, and Fiebings Reptile conditioner. On one of the posts, you warned that we should only use it if the finish is "matte." I have a vintage Chanel lizard that's a glossy lizard. What would you recommend for nourishing and moisturizing it? THanks much!

Hi there, Is it dull and dry? Or is the bag vintage? If it's supple and shiny I would not add anything at this point... standing by...

Hi there, Is it dull and dry? Or is the bag vintage? If it's supple and shiny I would not add anything at this point... standing by...

Hey there

Yes it's vintage (from the 80's) but really in remarkably good condition.
It is shiny for the most part. A few areas are less shiny i.e. piping, along zipper line and bottom.
It's soft so I can't decide if it's "dry" or that's the way it's always been (my point of reference is another lizard bag - but that one is more boxy) I just don't want it to "crease" and "crack" if you know what I mean.

Side NOte: Ever since I "learned" on your H thread, I am so much more aware of leather condition. It was quite an education. A heartfelt Thank you!!:biggrin:

Here's a picture

Attachments

• lizard.jpg
    lizard.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,457
Hey there

It is shiny for the most part. A few areas are less shiny i.e. piping, along zipper line and bottom.
It's soft so I can't decide if it's "dry" or that's the way it's always been (my point of reference is another lizard bag - but that one is more boxy) I just don't want it to "crease" and "crack" if you know what I mean.

Side NOte: Ever since I "learned" on your H thread, I am so much more aware of leather condition. It was quite an education. A heartfelt Thank you!!:biggrin:

Hi again,
Well this is helpful info. I like Fiebings for reptile skins and then when dry a bit of blackrock used sparingly and then buffed to as high a shine as you can get... it will not be as high a gloss as you would get from a spray on shine...but it will last longer...

If you still want a high shine you can spray with Meltonian Super Shiny spray follow the directions on the can.. Good luck

Hi again,
Well this is helpful info. I like Fiebings for reptile skins and then when dry a bit of blackrock used sparingly and then buffed to as high a shine as you can get... it will not be as high a gloss as you would get from a spray on shine...but it will last longer...

If you still want a high shine you can spray with Meltonian Super Shiny spray follow the directions on the can.. Good luck

THANKS! I'll get the materials and give it a go:smile:

Welcome to the Chanel forum - they'll LOVE you here too!

THANKS! I'll get the materials and give it a go:smile:

Welcome to the Chanel forum - they'll LOVE you here too!

Sounds great! I am looking forward to getting to know some of lovely Chanel forum ladies. It's going to be wonderful to see some of the Chanel leather care experts jumping in and helping to answer questions.:smile:

Hey there

Here's a picture

Thanks for the questions on that one; I have this same bag in beige, and will be ordering the same products :smile: