Chanel at Costco

I saw Fendi, Burberry, Prada, Coach, CK bags/wallets at Costco occasionally over the past 3 years. I'm not sure about the authenticity, but they looked real. They store the bags in the glass cabinet, so I can't really checkout the bag. The costs are usually about 75-80% of the original retail price. They are usually the basic models which didn't really get me to buy. For me, I would rather shop at the boutiques unless they are really a good deal.

However, I was lucky to buy a real Prada pink nylon bag for $60 at the Designer Depot in Toronto. It came with auth. ID card & info card about the model of the bag. Actually, I didn't know it cost only $60 they scan the price tag, because the tag was markered with $250. I was really surprised & basically I ran to the car after I paid in case the store manager changed her mind. LOL.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that it has to be fake (even though that's what I wrote). But, don't you think they are real but being sold illegally. Why would Chanel, a brand that has an active campaign on upping the price on items so as to capture some of the exclusivity back then turn around and allow Costco's to sell? Or LV, a brand that never goes on sale -- ever. I don't think this can be legal. shamsi, eyeglasses are different b/c most, if not all, designers give licenses to optomotrists and eyeglass stores to see thier goods. It doesn't make business sense for them not to.

i understand your frustration. I myself paid full price on a a luxe bag only to see it on the costco website almost a year later for about 700 less. No its not illegal. The reason why it is not illegal is because once the designer house decides to sell outside the house itself, its fair game where the items go. I had this discussion with a BV rep not too long ago. They sell their products to outside sources for major dept stores as well as smaller boutiques all across the world. If these places don't sell the items, they are going to sell them to someone else for more of a loss. It usually happens with items that were never really in demand during the season in which they came out.

Ok ... I don't usually post in here, and this is an offshoot of a recurring LV thread theme that keeps popping up. Sorry if this is old or boring, but can any of you Chanel experts confirm if authentic Chanel is sold at Costco? Someone responding to an LV thread on this topic and said they got a Chanel watch from Costco. If so, why? I don't understand. I've never been inside a Costco, but isn't it a wholesale club? I am deeply disturbed by the prospect of authentic Chanel or LV being sold there.

I'm curious now... I wonder what that 'watch' looks like

I've recently ooogled over a womens white Chanel j12 at our local Costco.. I believe they had the black mens one as well. The 2nd time I went back, it was gone already. They do sell fine watches & jewelry I little under retail. :yes:

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that it has to be fake (even though that's what I wrote). But, don't you think they are real but being sold illegally. Why would Chanel, a brand that has an active campaign on upping the price on items so as to capture some of the exclusivity back then turn around and allow Costco's to sell? Or LV, a brand that never goes on sale -- ever. I don't think this can be legal. shamsi, eyeglasses are different b/c most, if not all, designers give licenses to optomotrists and eyeglass stores to see thier goods. It doesn't make business sense for them not to.

I used eyeglasses as an example, because to me they're similar to watches--many people need them, and will pay.:smile: You have a number of smaller "mom & pop" type jewelers which manage to get authorized to sell HE watches, (and they are legit b/c they service them---unauthorized places won't even replace your battery b/c if something goes wrong they're liable for it).

I still think it's likely grey market. Not exactly illegal, but overstock from elsewhere that didn't sell and being sold from an authorized place. I doubt higher ups are happy b/c of their exclusivity campaign, but I find it oddly amusing.:shrugs:

I am curious which Costco the J12 was @ too! -It was probably one situated in a "nicer" area though! But I must admit I ALWAYS check the watch counter @ each Costco I'm @ just to make sure there isn't a J12 lurking... and NEVER seen one yet.

I've NEVER seen Chanel @ my local Costco. In fact, I've only seen 2 LV's, and those were quite a while ago. One of them was the LV Sac Chien Dog carrier, which I was planning to buy for my chi -@ 5-600$ below retail... I even checked it out, and it was authentic to the best of my knowledge. So I wouldn't be surprised if the Chanels are real too.

Someone posted a while back about a Chanel black flap that was at their Costco... but that was a WHILE ago ;)

Costco sells everything. haha

I've seen Costcos that sell Movados, Coach, Fendi.. etc.

Besides if you bought anything at Costco that wasnt authentic.. you could always return it. Costco has a great return policy.

I spoke to LVMH and they confirmed my contention that any LV goods at Costco's are either fake or being illegally sold. Maybe watches are in the same category as eyeglasses, i.e., companies license them out. I'd be interested to hear what official statement Chanel corporate has on this issue. I asuume it would be very similar to what LVMH said. If I find out anything, I'll let you gals know.

^^^ when they say "illegally sold" -if these ARE authentic LV bags, does that mean they were stolen and re-sold to Costco? -dumb question probably, sorry... just curious