Carrying "Out of trend" designer bags

Out of trend as in not an IT bag anymore?
If I were you I'd keep the bags with classic shapes
For example: ysl muse is no longer an IT bag but the shape is classic so I'm keeping it ..etc..

A YSL Muse is exactly the bag I was thinking of when reflecting on this question! I have one as well, that I've continued to carry because of how special it was to me. Although I am so tempted to sell it, since I'm so limited in how many I can collect each year and would like to put the money towards my next one :smile:

@thisreallyreal, like others have said, it depends so much on what the bags are and your personal style. I would enjoy knowing what "out of trend" bags you are on the fence about! Many do come back or are reissued in later years, but if you don't want to take up valuable closet space (or the investment) waiting...

I don't have many older bags because I prefer the new ones. However I just go for whatever style I like, regardless of how trendy it is. For that reason though, I do make sure it is a classic design though so that it won't be dated so quick! If I'm spending loads of money on a bag, I wanna make sure it lasts for YEARS.

The no longer trendy handbag i find is only a problem when they become overly ubiquitous for a while (and often in mid-range price-point), especially when their look has something very unique about them. There are trends that die hard deaths, and trends that die slow deaths. Dior Saddle, Fendi Spy, and likely the Celine Luggage (which inspired all types of other flared out bags), die hard. Monogram is starting to die a slow death. These are sometimes also exacerbated by all the less expensive bags that are "inspired" by the more expensive bags, making the look everywhere (remember when everyone was carrying a coach logo covered demi pouch because everyone else who can afford a Gucci monogram pochette is wearing one?). When things are everywhere, people are going to want to be different, and then the bags (or sometimes even a brand) become a part of an era. It's hard for some people sometimes to disentangle whether you are buying a bag cuz everyone else has it, or if it's because you actually like it, when the trend is everywhere. Repetition makes things grow on you - cognitive fact.

But personally, I find that as long as the bag hasn't been "everywhere," and you like it, it's less of a problem. I think the embarrassment from carrying out of trend bags comes from not so much that the bags are no longer trendy, but a testament to the fact that you owned something because everyone else had it but can you can't continue to keep up carrying what everyone else is carrying. Therein lies the argument that if you truly do like the bag, to this day, then there's nothing embarrassing about it.

I want to saw I have enjoyed reading all the comments. As a new member to the PF and as a new bag collector, I have struggled with this concept of "trend" and what is or will be considered classic. I have just started purchasing luxery brands; LV,Bal, Gucci, Mulberry. For a few years I owned Coach bags before the disaster of the outlet mall styles struck. I have a few really good Coach bags at the $600-800 range and still love and carry some of them now in their 5+ years. But I never worried about longevity since these where only a few hundred dollars. Now that I am buying bags at $1000+ I do worry about longevity of use and style. I try to buy what I like regardless but as a new collector I would love ideas on how some of you have thought about your collection or ideas on how to select more classic pieces.