Carrying "Out of trend" designer bags

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. So I did a bag clear out today and found so many designer bags from my mum's collection that are now considered out of trend.

Would you still carry these bags? If not, what do you do with them? Sell them or keep them sitting in their dust bags?

2. if they have a classic design I would keep them

3. I don't buy trendy bags....
    Are you sure they're "trendy"?

4. Bags I consider out of trend are the MJ Stam, Chloe Paddington, Fendi Spy bag, LV Multi color or graffiti collection etc. Those bags are very dated IMO. Other bags are classic and they swing in and out of style but remain classic. One example I can think of is the Fendi bagette. I dont by those trendy bags that will look dated (I sold my Givenchy antigona for this reason...my gut was telling me that in a couple of years, it would look dated). I only buy classics now. If you think it is a classic shape just not popular now, I would hold onto it for the future.

5. If the bags are something the owner likes and uses, I'd tell them to keep the bags. If not, then sell. That's the only measure that matters. Trendy bags tend to be bought solely for that reason - they might not be practical, stylish or even really really pretty, and that's reason enough for me not to go for trendy...

6. Out of trend as in not an IT bag anymore?
    If I were you I'd keep the bags with classic shapes
    For example: ysl muse is no longer an IT bag but the shape is classic so I'm keeping it ..etc..

7. I wear my Chloe Paddy/Bay, my Gucci Horse-bit Chains, MJ Blake, Chanel backpack, Sonia Rykiel Domino, Dior Saddle :nuts: etc with PRIDE

If people don't like them they can always avert their eyes :sunnies

8. Keep the bags that appeal to you, gift or sell the rest. I still carry my zucca spy. If anyone asks why, I simply reply that that particular Fendi monogram reflects my attitude towards the Trend police.

9. #9 Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    Who cares about trends. Decide by which ones you personally like. :smile:

I love many of my "dated" bags and they look great as long as my overall outfit isn't frumpy. Tye big picture matters.

10. I still carry bags and other items from a decade ago that are dated: Burberry candy check, LV Robert Wilson, Dior saddle because I love them. I don't live in an area where something being in season matters.

It all depends though. If you like them, carry them as vintage (if celebs can say that about an eight year old dress, laypeople can use it too). If it has sentimental value, keep it if you have space. If none of the above, sell or donate it.

11. I agree.

12. I'd absolutely keep them, as long as the designs are timeless!

13. And of course the bags have to be appealing to you.

14. Just wanted to add that trends keep coming back too. Not just with clothing, many of today's modern bags are inspired by vintage designs too. The 90's are back in stores right now, and I can rewear my clothing from back then ;)
    What you throw out today, might be a trend tomorrow :P

15. I think it depends on how the owner feels about them.

I'm sure there are a lot of people out who believe the Balenciaga moto bags are trendy.

There was a time when I was obsessed and salivating over them. I have 4 of them and I'm not as obsessed with them anymore. Though it doesn't mean I don't like them. Because they carry so much emotion for me and I remember how ecstatic I was when I got them, they will always be timeless for me.