Carrying a Kelly Effortlessly - A Poll

How do you usually carry your Kelly?

• Handheld

• Use shoulder strap

• Handheld with the shoulder strap inside for emergency use

• Using the hand strap like a shoulder strap (Yes you Lala)

• My Kelly sits in the closet because it is a pain

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hi all, I found this old thread might fit my question.
I admire the effortless look of shoulder carrying a Kelly, however due to shoulder problem I can't shoulder carry my bag so my Kelly/Bolide are mainly handheld. In this case do you still hang the shoulder strap on the bag when you are going out even if you don't use it? Or hanging a shoulder strap on the bag can still be sort of effortless chic? Appreciate your comment.

Dear candyapple15, I find the thin shoulder strap on a kelly straining on my shoulders. However, I do leave it hanging just in case I need to use it (eg picking up my child or at a busy subway) I am thinking about getting a wider canvas strap that should make it more comfortable on the shoulders.

Reactions: candyapple15
I would put the strap on only if I really need hands free, and mainly on my Retourne bags. I like the slightly more formal look of hand-carrying a Kelly, especially if it is Sellier and if I want to keep the line of my outfits clean. This is my winter A line coat and Kelly look and 25 fits on my arm anyway. For vintage Box and Croc Kellys I tend to not to use straps on the single D-ring. All just personal preference.

a little OT but i think it does apply here

i live in a 3rd world country though it's rapidly developing and i feel no threat whatsoever. firstly i don't go out at night ( if i do i get a chauffeured car) but in the day, i find that most people don't dare to approach me as i sort of stalk around, i find most people target weak or perceived weak looking people who look like they are afraid of being mugged. so far, thank GOD, i've been safe. if you walk confidently and don't wear obvious jewellery, watches etc. it is pretty safe. my shoes and bags and clothes are carefully chosen, expensive; H and other brands. Even H-fans might not even know it's H, for example my cotton shirts are actually Hermes and shoes too but they're not blingy or OTT.

i think so long as you are in a relatively safe place, with zippered bags and dress well without obvious jewellery and watches, it's ok.

ps. i will bag slap someone to the ground if he/she has designs on running off with my bag (clothes and shoes-snatching is a bit difficult though lol). i've lots of pent-up stress and anger so God help that person who targets me.

also my H bags are mostly neutrals, no brights, i blend in the crowd.
I laughed out loud. Thank you. :P Due to my job, I’m always in developing countries. My bags are either croc totes (made to order but from the country of origin so inexpensive) or Hermès (Birkin or Kelly); I have no other bags. I wear handmade jewelry (again, inexpensive from the country of origin) and have easily walked past people, without incident, continent to continent (excluding Antartica as it’s the only one I’ve never been on). A combo of luck, situational awareness and lack of brand knowledge. Like you, I’d bag-slap someone in a heartbeat if they tried to run off with my things. :biggrin:

I wear my Kelly with the strap only but nothing else (no clochette, no twilly). I switch from strap to handle as my body sees fit. I keep the flaps open but under the fold with the lock turned. Classic look for a BBK. It needs no adornment.

Reactions: loves
Lala is so right about the straps. I find the regular leather straps OK but I just love Kellys with canvas straps. This is a pic of my amazone 32 Kelly with the shorter strap and worn this way, it's very comfortable.

I managed to buy a Lakis strap of evilbay for my ebene togo Kelly and that works really well too.

Somehow, held underarm, the Kelly feels more secure. I sometimes leave it latched with the flap tucked in but my arm helps support the weight and keep the gape from being too obvious. I imagine this would work as well with a sellier.

this is a great thread!

Loves! I just love this! Lord forbid I ever happen to brush up against you on a dark night!:P
Wow. The canvas strap really looks great on a retourne, especially one with soft leather. Perfect match and beautiful color. :heart:

Hi all, I found this old thread might fit my question.
I admire the effortless look of shoulder carrying a Kelly, however due to shoulder problem I can't shoulder carry my bag so my Kelly/Bolide are mainly handheld. In this case do you still hang the shoulder strap on the bag when you are going out even if you don't use it? Or hanging a shoulder strap on the bag can still be sort of effortless chic? Appreciate your comment.
I don't use the shoulder strap if I plan to hand carry my Kellys. I do use the H cross body canvas strap on my fun-coloured Kelly 25s to make it more casual, a.k.a effortless, at least I hope so! :smile:
Edit to add: I almost never use the original leather strap on Kelly any more. I find the side shoulder carry a bit too fussy for what it's worth. I either hand carry it or do the cross body shoulder strap.
20190524_084517.jpg

8F834FC3-51FA-41A0-B35E-B78911C3DE5E.jpeg A7C26339-445E-467A-8AAE-450087C20FB2.jpeg EC26C3F9-0BBE-4914-8F61-73D4246A16E9.jpeg 5E681A07-2084-4CB8-B95F-EB4587A872D1.jpeg

Hope this helps. It’s just knot after knot. Nothing special. ;)

Can you show a closeup of how you tie your Twilly as an extender? I have tried this but when I do it I feel like the way I tie the Twilly looks kinda sloppy. I would love a cute way to use Twilly as extender!

Attachments

• 6236C0DD-A44E-4DF7-AB72-06BB45EAE06D.jpeg
    6236C0DD-A44E-4DF7-AB72-06BB45EAE06D.jpeg
    141.2 KB · Views: 244
I laughed out loud. Thank you. :P Due to my job, I’m always in developing countries. My bags are either croc totes (made to order but from the country of origin so inexpensive) or Hermès (Birkin or Kelly); I have no other bags. I wear handmade jewelry (again, inexpensive from the country of origin) and have easily walked past people, without incident, continent to continent (excluding Antartica as it’s the only one I’ve never been on). A combo of luck, situational awareness and lack of brand knowledge. Like you, I’d bag-slap someone in a heartbeat if they tried to run off with my things. :biggrin:

I wear my Kelly with the strap only but nothing else (no clochette, no twilly). I switch from strap to handle as my body sees fit. I keep the flaps open but under the fold with the lock turned. Classic look for a BBK. It needs no adornment.

So happy to have found other H fans that live in 3rd/developing countries!!!! @loves @Mali_

I live and grew up in these countries but studied abroad and what I have found GREAT is that most of the times people (those that are seeking to rob/steal/take away your bags etc) do not even know what I'm using.... For example, they target the well known brands such Tommy Hilfiger, Guess, Michael Kors, Polo Ralph Laurent shoes and shirts is a favorite for them, Tory Burch..... Luxury brands are Gucci (every thief knows Gucci thanks to the thousands of fake bags and shirts sold in the local street market), D&G and maybe LV (those this is very low %)

Hence, my H (even Dior, Celine, Goyard and Chanel) items are pretty safe (unless they ware robbing me for the sake of the money/things I carry inside the bag, which thank GOD has not happeend), they would not be targeting by these brands of the bags per-se. Ofcourse, there are those of the higher economic stratus that definitively know the brands but they aint the robbing you people (or at least not that I have encountered so far).

Back to the topic..... I carry (as I have gotten older) most of my bags cross body as it is easier to move around work, in-out of car, errands etc but I have found B to be the exception, tho I have seeing people putting straps on the holes where the belts passes thru so they can cross body it..... Anyone here had put strap on your B?

Reactions: loves and Mali_
So happy to have found other H fans that live in 3rd/developing countries!!!! @loves @Mali_

I live and grew up in these countries but studied abroad and what I have found GREAT is that most of the times people (those that are seeking to rob/steal/take away your bags etc) do not even know what I'm using.... For example, they target the well known brands such Tommy Hilfiger, Guess, Michael Kors, Polo Ralph Laurent shoes and shirts is a favorite for them, Tory Burch..... Luxury brands are Gucci (every thief knows Gucci thanks to the thousands of fake bags and shirts sold in the local street market), D&G and maybe LV (those this is very low %)

Hence, my H (even Dior, Celine, Goyard and Chanel) items are pretty safe (unless they ware robbing me for the sake of the money/things I carry inside the bag, which thank GOD has not happeend), they would not be targeting by these brands of the bags per-se. Ofcourse, there are those of the higher economic stratus that definitively know the brands but they aint the robbing you people (or at least not that I have encountered so far).

Back to the topic..... I carry (as I have gotten older) most of my bags cross body as it is easier to move around work, in-out of car, errands etc but I have found B to be the exception, tho I have seeing people putting straps on the holes where the belts passes thru so they can cross body it..... Anyone here had put strap on your B?
I agree with all you wrote. Experience, experience, experience. Location, location, location. ;)
I have not put a strap on my Birkins but certainly would not be above doing so as I get older; all are Clemence so easier for a potential stretch. Hmmmm...I saw nice ones on IG too.

Reactions: loves