Caring for Chanel CAVIAR Leather

Word of caution to iridescent caviar Chanel owners: be careful with cleaning and start small! My favorite baby is an iridescent light pink caviar classic, and I was lucky enough to stumble upon a matching preloved wallet from the same series. It needed a good cleaning so I started with Simple brand sensitive cleansing wipes with no fragrances or dyes, as I found recommended caviar care forums. What I found as I cautiously tried to clean a small area was that the wipes started to take off some of the color/iridescence I remembered I had also received a handbag wipe from the UK company Handbag Haven with a previous purchase, so I then tried that over a small area. Those wipes ended up removing dirt, but no sign of removing the color or finish. Whew! Anybody else experience something like this? Going to post in iridescent caviar forum too.

Word of caution to iridescent caviar Chanel owners: be careful with cleaning and start small! My favorite baby is an iridescent light pink caviar classic, and I was lucky enough to stumble upon a matching preloved wallet from the same series. It needed a good cleaning so I started with Simple brand sensitive cleansing wipes with no fragrances or dyes, as I found recommended caviar care forums. What I found as I cautiously tried to clean a small area was that the wipes started to take off some of the color/iridescence I remembered I had also received a handbag wipe from the UK company Handbag Haven with a previous purchase, so I then tried that over a small area. Those wipes ended up removing dirt, but no sign of removing the color or finish. Whew! Anybody else experience something like this? Going to post in iridescent caviar forum too.
Thank you for posting this. I don’t have anything iridescent (yet!) but it’s really helpful to know. I tend to use Water Wipes on My bags and slg’s as they seem to be the purest I’ve found so far (I’ve had 3 kids so I’ve tried many brands).

I recently noticed this scratch (white) on the inner flap, in a certain angle only when the light hits, but not upfront. Can anyone recommend how to treat it? Is this something that can be buffed out? Thank you!0F779207-DAB5-46CB-9146-11281E753C0C.png

Hi all. I have been reading much of this thread. I am about to buy a Chanel GST pre-loved. I want to condition the bag and found the Cadalliac Boot and Shoe Leather Conditioner and cleaner. But, it looks like the Melatonian products are discontinued (was looking for the black polish to try and cover some corner scuffs). I would like to try to use a q-tip size of dye to cover some corner scuffs/wear on the bag. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Reactions: juju2016
On my 3 black caviar bags I use a black marking pen to cover rubbed off corners. Need to touch up every so often. I don’t use any conditioner on them. I tried it once and the leather doesn’t soak it up.

My Chanel Caviar card wallet got soaked when I put a water bottle in my bag that I didn't know was even that wet... It now looks extremely weird and stretched out and bumpy. I don't know what to do I've only had this for like 2 years :confused1:

Attachments

• IMG_0022.jpeg
    IMG_0022.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0023.jpeg
    IMG_0023.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 142
  • Wow
Reactions: ItsLuxeDarling
Recently I purchased a second handed caviar affinity flap in beige but there are heavy transfers on the back pockets, I tried using baby wipes, leather lotion, and using a tooth brush to rub it out. The transfers were 50% gone but I still see the transfers. Then I heard someone use a non acetone nail polish to remove all the stains and transfer. I thought to myself if it didn’t work I will go to Chanel and have them repaint my bag or ship it to leather surgeons... so might as well give it a try....

I was a bit crazy but I went and purchased the nail polish remover and next thing I used a q tip and quickly rubbed it softly and the transfers were gone. Then I rubbed it down with a paper towel, and I quickly used my leather lotion to moisturized the leather. I did one quilt by one quilt because I didn’t want the nail removal to soak into the leather. The texture was the same, I can’t say if it will work for shiny caviar but it worked for my semi matte caviar flap, the sheen is still there.

After I few week I realized the bags started to have transfers AGAIN because I forgot to use a protective spray to prevent transfers.So I did the same process and use the nail polish remover again and it didn’t changed the leather texture at all. I haven’t tried this with other leather so you should test a small spot if I were you. Good luck, worst scenario, leave it to the professional! But the way use this Collonil Waterstop Waterproofing Spray to prevent future transfers!

Before
058D1738-6FD3-4FA7-BF0A-4D90FC17346B.jpeg
After
942CC47E-3EE8-4068-931B-2D7EF66C8241.jpeg
Spray
70BACD72-26FB-45D3-B194-A04B3A21CEDF.png

Just a question, I occasionally use wet paper towel to wipe my bags, now thinking that water contains chlorine and other things and I should probably wipe them off with alchohol free baby wipes or neutral ph instead? I know I'm too crazy to even think about this. I also know some people dont even do anything to their bag. I only wipe them ocassionally, I hope I wont strip off the top coating of the caviar leather..

Just a question, I occasionally use wet paper towel to wipe my bags, now thinking that water contains chlorine and other things and I should probably wipe them off with alchohol free baby wipes or neutral ph instead? I know I'm too crazy to even think about this. I also know some people dont even do anything to their bag. I only wipe them ocassionally, I hope I wont strip off the top coating of the caviar leather..
I would rather try it with high quality (quality is very important - only natural indigents) leather care cream. I did this with a vintage chanel belt and it went very well.
But try the cream first at a hidden place where you would not see if something goes wrong with the cream.

My Chanel Caviar card wallet got soaked when I put a water bottle in my bag that I didn't know was even that wet... It now looks extremely weird and stretched out and bumpy. I don't know what to do I've only had this for like 2 years :confused1:
Hi just curious, reviving an old post and wondering if you still end up using the card holder?

Hi all, can someone help with the creasing of the flap at where it open and closes? I know it comes with use but is it also because the leather has dried over time, hence the creases will be more obvious? I have seen some videos where bags were well used and no creasing at the back, but the owner actually conditions it every now and then. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Thanks ;)

20210831_161010.jpg20210831_160855.jpg

Hi all, can someone help with the creasing of the flap at where it open and closes? I know it comes with use but is it also because the leather has dried over time, hence the creases will be more obvious? I have seen some videos where bags were well used and no creasing at the back, but the owner actually conditions it every now and then. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Thanks ;)

View attachment 5182468View attachment 5182469
Hello :smile: I understand that Chanel don't recommend any treatments which might clients doing by themselves. I would go first to chanel and ask them for advice. Because if you try something and it won't work out they might even claim that it is your fault.
The most important thing is to use high quality leather cream. The cheap ones might dry the leather out. I did use leather cream in order to condition a vintage leather belt and it worked very well. But the leather was in the back side of the belt.

Reactions: Hakuhaku
Hello :smile: I understand that Chanel don't recommend any treatments which might clients doing by themselves. I would go first to chanel and ask them for advice. Because if you try something and it won't work out they might even claim that it is your fault.
The most important thing is to use high quality leather cream. The cheap ones might dry the leather out. I did use leather cream in order to condition a vintage leather belt and it worked very well. But the leather was in the back side of the belt.
Thank you! I will ask my SA about it. I was intending to get a leather conditioner that would be suitable for both caviar and lambskin, but yes, also worried about any drying out of leather subsequently now that you mentioned!

Hi guys, I wanted to ask if you can use Cadillac select leather lotion for normal caviar? Also, I have recently bought a my perfect mini in iridescent blue - how do you prevent colour transfers and do you do any conditioning?

Thanks!!

Reactions: juju2016