Travel CANCUN! tips - questions - advice

He'll be fine! Cancun is very safe because it's FULL of American/Canadian tourists. As long as he doesn't get stupid, uses his common sense, etc. then there's nothing to worry about. Just keep your wits about you as you would at home!

I second the advice. He shoud be aware and alert and stay with his friends in a group. The alert indicates crime throughout Mexico, but the border towns are especially dangerous and have been for quite some time.

I'm in S Texas and we hear about the crime almost every day. We no longer go to Laredo, which is sad, because it's a great place to shop for pottery and iron and it was nice to stock up on Kahlua and Bailey's.

I second the advice. He shoud be aware and alert and stay with his friends in a group. The alert indicates crime throughout Mexico, but the border towns are especially dangerous and have been for quite some time.

I'm in S Texas and we hear about the crime almost every day. We no longer go to Laredo, which is sad, because it's a great place to shop for pottery and iron and it was nice to stock up on Kahlua and Bailey's.

when we lived in san antonio, we took my in-laws to laredo b/c my MIL had never been out of the country ;) that was in 2004 and it was still very uncomfortable. i can't imagine how it is now :sad:

He should be fine if he's staying near the beaches and stays along the hotel strip at nights and not go off the beaten path. It's a big touristy location. We had a nice time when we went for our honeymoon back in the 90s. We stayed at the Marriott Casamanga, we didn't have to even leave it, it had it's own beach pool and spa. It is very humid and the beaches provided great relief. And it's great to go hotel hopping, to find the best waves in front. We went on the tour buses to visit the temple ruins in Tulum and I spent an afternoon at Playa Norte while dh went snorkeling. This is all part of the tours we signed up for when we got there. We visited the flea markets (the vendors are a bit hawkish, I had a hard time getting away from them) and went off the beaten path a little just to soak up some culture. We saw some homes and mostly children playing in the roads. But we did all of this during the day. Your son will have fun. The tour buses are big and noisy and full of young people.

On the other hand, I've heard frightening stories of Mexico City. My brother had to travel with people from his branch and he was warned that cabbies kidnap tourists and business people until they fork over their cash. One of his coworkers found herself in that situation. And she paid up and they dropped her off. wow.....

Last edited:
Last Friday (Feb 20), the US State Department issued a travel alert for US citizens traveling to Mexico. You can read it here: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/pa/pa_3028.html

I read online many US universities are publicizing this alert to their students since spring break is coming up.

I think it's smart for students to make sure they travel in groups, use common sense, and leave valuables at home or locked in a hotel safe and not carry large amounts of cash, their passports or anything like that with them.

My husband was telling me about this tonight! I had no idea it was so serious. I have a few college-aged cousins who love partying in Mexico on break, but once my cousin got robbed in Cancun. It's so bad that it's gotten so unsafe!

We actually just got back from Cancun about a week ago. Had a blast and all of us stayed safe. We were in a huge group, but my DH and I went into town by ourselves. We took the bus and never felt uncomfortable!
Just remind him to use his common sense!!! I hope he has a safe and fun time!!!

^omg. We took the bus too, it was hilarious. All the locales were staring at us sitting at the back of the bus. We were the only ones sweating profusely like we came out of a sauna. We were not prepared for the extreme humidity!

Yes, just stay in the hotel zone or go to walmart with a group. Do not be loud drunk and dumb. Do not leave a club alone at night etc. Same rules as here use common sense.

Honestly, I have been there noumerous times.

The first was my Senior year without chaperones. Girls MUST stay together and close together. My girlfriend was attacked on the median while crossing the street with her friends. A man jumped out of the bushes and attacked her. She was the last one in the group and was lagging behind. That is how he attacked her. His intention was to rape her. He got her pants down to her knees before the others realized she was gone.

I have not had any problems since then, but I advise the group MUST stay together as we know the police system is not the best.

I've been to Cancun twice and I've never had a problem. The last time I went, December 2007 was w/ 2 other girls and we had no problems, but we did stay in the hotel zone and didn't go into Cancun City.

When I went w/ my boyfriend several years ago we did go into Cancun City and actually got lost on the bus system. We didn't have any idea where we were, but this nice lady on the bus, actually took us to the correct bus to get us where we needed to go. I'm not sure if she worked for the bus system or what, but we greatly appreciated the help!

I'm sure if he stays in the hotel zone he'll be fine as long as he exercises common sense.

I just came back yesterday from a week long vacation in Cancun. We stayed at an all-inclusive resort so we spent most of our time at the hotel. We explored the streets a bit but didn't leave the hotel zone just to be safe. I think it's safe as long as you don't wander into the outskirts of Cancun..