Travel CANCUN! tips - questions - advice

Well thanks to everyone who responded about Cancun, my son is back at college and had an unbelievable time! They stayed in a nice resort and seemed to be smart about what they did. He felt totally safe there. He said he couldn't wait to catch up on much needed sleep!

The main thing is for him to stay apart of the group and within the resort tourist area! I went went I was younger with a group of friends and we ended up in the markets where they try to rob you blind!! I was a little nervous so we grabbed a cab back to the resort! I'm sure he will be fine! Hope he has a great time!

has ANYONE been at this lovely resort in riviera maya? any comments reviews would be amazing (:
this would be my 3rd time staying in riviera maya, so i want to make sure its an excellent place.
the two ive stayed at are:
grand sirenis
ocean turquesa/coral

We are staying in Cancun at Riu Palace Las Americanas.

Anyone know of good shopping or is it mostly local Mexican souviner type stuff and miles of T-shirt shops.

Is it worth taking a day trip to Playa Del Carmen.

How about taking the ferry to Isla Mujeras.....are there public beaches we could go to or is it only private resort beaches. Would it be worth the trouble of goint or just stay at our resort beach. I know it is beautiful to stay there from my previous thread.

Anything else anyone can suggest ...Ruins, Cenotes (Id really like to go to one of the cenotes). We have never been there. We are looking more for relaxing, some adventure and of course some shopping! Were not looking for the party springbreak type activities.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Other than Louis Vuitton, I think the BEST shopping, hands down is at the airport prior to your departure. Anything you'll want is there and you don't have to go through the nightmare of haggling with people like your at a swap meet or something. Prices are reasonable and Margaritaville there has awesome homemade guacamole or that last taste before you get on your plane.

Shopping the mall has luxury avenue they have a LV,fendi,coach,Cartier and they sell upscale perfume makeup and brand name jewelry. There is also a nice mall that has a chilli's and Zara's in it. Nothing is really a bargain but check it out, Also look at some beautiful art at Sergio Bustamante he has a boutique at both malls. I have a few of his pieces

Tours--
xelha is nice to see
Tulum you can do a tour or take a public bus( i did) to Tulum and see the ruins-breathtaking bring your suit because there is a beach there with pretty water
Chichitza--is an all day tour. I rented a car and drove there-but most people would never do that so if you take the tour it will be long and it is very very hot there

Isla mujeres go ferry ride is just 70 pesos rt about 5.75 Go by the new hotel aluxes walk past there by nauti beach and you will see a great restaurant called sunset grill. They will allow you to have chairs an umbrella as long as you eat and drink there. do it order coconut shrimp and a miami vice and enjoy One of the best beaches in the world. The water is clear. I just left isla on June 20th. I want to go back now. Have already made reservations for dec23-29th.

I have been to Cancun,tulum,playa mujeres and Riviera Maya and have stayed at all of them anymore ?? pm

Bring alot of dollars and tip (propina) everyone esp the maids. Be polite and sweet it will go a long way.

I went to tulum last year and they wouldn't let you use the beach. I had been in the past and it was one of the highlights of my trip. They've re-structured it too, so now you have to wait in a huge line, walk a long way (unless you pay for the extra trolley), and pay a fee for having a video camera (a permit of some sort). I was really disappointed.

I wholeheartedly recommend xel-ha or xcaret. I think xel-ha is now "all inclusive" and it's something like $79 pp and you get entrance fee, snorkel rental, a locker, towels, and all you can eat and drink. Don't know how much it would cost for a tour but probably around $120 pp.
Xcaret has an 'underground river' you snorkel through -- it's really cool.

Playa del carmen is a cool town to spend a few hours in ... shopping, drinking, etc. There's a nice beach there too.

I agree Chichen itza is a LONG day. We also rented a car and drove there -- much cheaper than the tour but man, a long journey. You will be impressed by the ruins though .. but be prepared for a LOT of heat. Once you get there you can hire an guide or you can tour it yourself. They don't allow you to climb to the top of the pyramid anymore and there are now vendors at every corner of the property trying to sell you stuff.

well what hotels or resorts are nice and is there any mexican restaurantsthat have a mariachi band ? i would love to go to a restaurant like the one in the movie sex in the city it looks like so much fun.

Cancun is not the place to go if you are looking for a hotel or resturant like in Sex in the City. You need to book a hotel in the Maya Riveria, Cabo or maybe Tulum for an experience like that. Cancun is very touristy and is not close to the ethnic diversity other areas of Mexico have to offer. You may be able to find one outside of Cancun or on the way to an excursion.

I went to Cancun over 15 years ago so it has probably changed ... I stayed at a fabulous resort called the Fiesta Americana Condessa Cancun. Who knows if it's still around but I do remember it had a fabulous pool with swim-up bar and a great beach.

well ive never stayed in cancun. but ive been to riviera maya 5+ times. I LOVE IT THERE. my favourite place to go and relax.
ive stayed at the:

grand sirenis
grand palladium
H10 Ocean Turquesa
Grand Princess

I have been there a lot just got back from Isla mujeres. Visit there and swim on north beach get off ferry and get a chair in front of sunset grill-free if you eat. Order coconut shrimp and a Miami vice and enjoy the most beautiful water in the world. Use sunscreen. La isla mall in can cun has great American restaurants

Casa Maguey is a modern and innovative restaurant serving fine Mexican cuisine. It is located at Kukulkan Plaza on the hotel zone and offers comfort and great service. There is also a live mariachi band performing 3 nights a week. Casa Maguey is divided into several areas: dining room, terrace, kid's club, and bakery, all of them fully air-conditioned.

Treat yourself to the fabulous selection of incredible Mexican specialties, predominantly from the state of Jalisco, and accompany your meal with premium tequila from the restaurant's extensive beverage menu. One of the most popular dishes is the very traditional tortas ahogadas, (dunked Mexican subs), which are then dipped into a hot sauce. Other great choices that have captivated tourists from all over the world, include ceviche from Nayarit, birria, (goat in a broth), menudo (spicy tripe soup) and an assortment of moles from all over Mexico. Dine at La Destileria and discover the real flavors of Mexico.

A couple of Mexican restaurants in Cancun. But Cancun is like Florida. If you do not need nightlife look into Privledge Aluxes on Isla Mujeres rest a golf cart eat at mangos This is the most beautiful beach and water in the world Ill be back on Christmas.

So my graduating class is planning a trip through breakway tours to the cancun oasis. ive heard awesome things and terrible terrible things abou this hotel. im afraid my stuff will be stolen, the water will smell, the beach is not as nice as the photo and that there will be drunk people running around and puking everywhere...it'l be around 1500 dollars all together with plane ride and hotel stay. extra for going out and seeing local attractions.

some people say for what it is it is beauitful and fun (i am a student afterall and i do like the occasional beverage)...but should i just save my money, find a better deal and go to a better hotel? guess im a bit mature for my age but im weary when it comes to travelling abroad.

thanks for any help anyone can offer! if you've been else where in mexico, would you recommend it?

-mexico virgin