Can you spot the difference? LV Clés Pouch Made in the USA vs France

ccmj

Jan 30, 2018
Can you tell from this picture which one is made in the USA and which one is made in France? My bestie and I can now tell just by looking at them.

IMG_8285.jpg

So, we just got bff clés (like bff necklaces but clés [emoji39]) and we've been through quite a few hoops to specifically find one that was Made in France. We live in two completely different states yet had the same exact experience with the ones Made in the USA vs the ones Made in France (MIF).

I got lucky and was able to exchange the USA one I got online for a MIF from my home LV, but my poor bestie had to drive to 4 different Louis Vuitton's in Florida to finally purchase hers.

The reason she went so far to find a clés MIF is because we both experienced a drastic difference in the quality and the shape of the ones made in the USA. They had uneven zippers, they were noticeably flatter yet rounder at the edges and often stitched in a lopsided way. You could also see all the seams at the edges. I thought I had just received a defected clés, but when my bff had the same experience and a couple of YouTubers talked about experiencing the same thing, we realized this is indeed a quality issue of LV clés coming out of the US.

Does anyone know if LV knows about this quality issue with the clés and if they're going to do something about it?

[emoji257]

The bottom seam don't look good. Which is why Friday I am going to exchange for a Pocket Organizer. I gotten a MIU. The seams are the same as pictured. Honestly if the seams look good as my DE version, I would have kept it and use it.

Perhaps I will wait another time to buy the monogram key pouch. It seems they have too much demand for it and I will wait until I find one that suits my standard. I don't mind a MIU if it look good. But I should try to look harder with a fine comb. I wasn't even paying attention to the bottom seam than when I got back home.

So happy you started this thread!

I mentioned my experience buying one over the weekend on the "New LV Intel" thread. I found one that was a lot closer to my liking, but to sum up, both the SF Union Sq LV and Bloomies in Westfield did not carry MiF or MiS Clés. There was a video complaint as well on YouTube.

Mine (MIU) looks like the one on the left, too. Dull canvas and with the ugly seam. It seriously looks fake! I purchased it a few months ago...do you think they will still do an exchange for me? The date code is SD3177.

Personally, I would have them exchange it regardless of the time that has passed just because in the end it may or may not have the longevity of one made in France because of the quality issues. They may try to brush it off as simply being handmade and unique but the handmade part isn't the problem at all, it's the actual quality of the piece. Reference the evidence from many here on PF and on YT who had the exact same issues and that your experience is not anecdotal. It's a quality issue on the part of the US factory. The clés truly is a beautiful LV staple. I hope they will investigate so that you and others can own a piece that will last you for years to come. Good luck. [emoji257]

I guessed correctly and I'm new to LV. The one on the right looks much neater and if I didn't know otherwise I'd've assumed this photo was a comparison between a genuine item and a fake one.

Welcome! And that's exactly it. The USA version seems fake IRL too. We asked to see all the clés and when they were spread out, without even touching them, we could tell there wasn't one made in France among them. That's a serious quality issue when you can tell without even touching the pieces. They should be indistinguishable regardless of where they're made. Hope they investigate and fix the issue because it truly is a great and versatile piece. [emoji257]

This thread will heighten the frenzie for MIF which is hard to get in the States. Just so you all know there have been problems with MIF just as MIU.

Which other piece has a stark quality contrast between the MIU/MIF? I had no preference before this happened to us with the clés, but I'd appreciate the heads up on any other issues to look out for as I grow my collection. Thank you. [emoji173]