buying from OS and shipping to Australia??? import fees?

chanelcandy

Dec 26, 2014
hi, i bought a $1500 bag off farfetch from a UK boutique. given everything that is going on its going to come in a week or so (currently in the USA), however, i am thinking about the import costs once it reaches australia. far fetch says they cover import duties and taxes, but it sounds like on the australian border force/tax websites that you will still get charged upon entry into the country if it is over $1000??? does anyone have any experience with this, has this happened even tho far fetch says they cover the costs, am i getting GST charged twice then? or do you not get charged when your items are over $1000 when buying from FF or any other site where they say the import fees are included? thanks

As I know all import duties were collected on importation. The seller can't calculate it beforehand as they differ from country to country and there are some.
There are some calculators online where you can look up how much it is because depending on the product category there are different taxes.

They can't cover it with the price, how should they?
As an example: I am in the EU and I buy a bag from US that is 1500,- I have to pay ca. 450,- taxes/duties, if I buy it from UK it ist just the 1500,- and so on...

Am from Australia and have orered so many times from Farfetch items over 1000AUD never got charged Import charge or GST. All covered by Farfetch.
How do they do that? Is there a trade agreement between UK (EU) and Australia?
Edit: The site indeed says they pay the taxes for a bunch of countries...Australia included. Weird calculatin but pretty cool!

Last edited:
Am from Australia and have orered so many times from Farfetch items over 1000AUD never got charged Import charge or GST. All covered by Farfetch.
phew! i thought it would be covered but thought it was strange that the Aus govt sites say you will need to pay for it upon arrival into the country and then ask the supplier for a refund if you've already paid it. Must be an agreement with DHL that they pay for it and then farfetch pays DHL back??

phew! i thought it would be covered but thought it was strange that the Aus govt sites say you will need to pay for it upon arrival into the country and then ask the supplier for a refund if you've already paid it. Must be an agreement with DHL that they pay for it and then farfetch pays DHL back??

With farfetch, NAP, Matches, luisaviaroma duties and taxes are paid well before . So ! All good ! Enjoy your bag ❤️

Farfetch / My Theresa - No import fees.

Individual sellers (Japanese mostly) - Got charged import fees both times, bags were shipped with DHL and DHL will request the money from you before delivering the bag. Pretty smooth process, just got to factor in the extra cost when thinking about whether or not to buy the bag.

Farfetch / My Theresa - No import fees.

Individual sellers (Japanese mostly) - Got charged import fees both times, bags were shipped with DHL and DHL will request the money from you before delivering the bag. Pretty smooth process, just got to factor in the extra cost when thinking about whether or not to buy the bag.

Did you have to fill in the Australian Border Force import declaration separately and submit it? Or was that all part of the DHL process?

Purchased a reissue from Fashionphile for AU$1850 and i have been sent a message to pay UPS import tax AU$295. Annoying thing is no communication, no information like how long do i have to pay. Its like a hostage negotiation. Just send my package and bill me FFS.

Purchased a reissue from Fashionphile for AU$1850 and i have been sent a message to pay UPS import tax AU$295. Annoying thing is no communication, no information like how long do i have to pay. Its like a hostage negotiation. Just send my package and bill me FFS.
what ended up happening? i'm looking at buying a bag of the real real and its 1200 AUD, do i have to fill in a declaration with ABF first?? im so confused, i wish there was some magic formula (which im sure there is as some retailers do it) where custom fees are added onto the shipping cost!

what ended up happening? i'm looking at buying a bag of the real real and its 1200 AUD, do i have to fill in a declaration with ABF first?? im so confused, i wish there was some magic formula (which im sure there is as some retailers do it) where custom fees are added onto the shipping cost!
I bought a bag over $1000aud that was shipped to Australia via fedex and the customs duties and tax was invoiced to me prior to final delivery. I didn’t have to fill out any forms, fedex handled all that. The fees ended up being around an additional 16% of the bag price.... similar to PPs fees.

I paid the amount and they sent the bag. I had previously bought a chanel from a japan ebayer for 3.4k and paid nothing once it was shipped. Im not sure how it works but I have had to pay customs when its coming from US and nothing when coming from Asian countries

It’s the same with FedEx. For a recent Kelly purchase from the US, I just got a text message with a link to pay. No invoice. It seemed dodgy so I didn’t pay until I got an email a few days later with a proper invoice attached. I paid and sent them the payment confirmation as instructed in the email, and got confirmation they received the payment the next day. But for some reason they told the shipper 5 days later that I refused to pay customs. So the bag got returned. And now 3 weeks later I’m still chasing a refund. They refunded me $0.01 today ... customs was almost 2k :annoyed: I feel like I’m crazy for just wanting a refund in a timely manner

Interestingly, customs was $50 more when the bag got shipped by DHL. Didn’t realise until afterwards but much prefer DHL. The text message link has an invoice. And I know from previous experience if you don’t pay promptly with DHL, you get multiple reminder text messages, emails and then a phone call.

I paid the amount and they sent the bag. I had previously bought a chanel from a japan ebayer for 3.4k and paid nothing once it was shipped. Im not sure how it works but I have had to pay customs when its coming from US and nothing when coming from Asian countries

I’m not sure if part of it is because eBay collects GST on checkout like those other major retailers? I bought a Kelly for ~7k from a Japanese reseller on eBay and paid ~$330 in customs. I haven’t had to pay for other eBay bags / accessories but they were all <1k.