buying from OS and shipping to Australia??? import fees?

chanelcandy

Dec 26, 2014
hi, i bought a $1500 bag off farfetch from a UK boutique. given everything that is going on its going to come in a week or so (currently in the USA), however, i am thinking about the import costs once it reaches australia. far fetch says they cover import duties and taxes, but it sounds like on the australian border force/tax websites that you will still get charged upon entry into the country if it is over $1000??? does anyone have any experience with this, has this happened even tho far fetch says they cover the costs, am i getting GST charged twice then? or do you not get charged when your items are over $1000 when buying from FF or any other site where they say the import fees are included? thanks

Sferics

May 23, 2015
As I know all import duties were collected on importation. The seller can't calculate it beforehand as they differ from country to country and there are some.
There are some calculators online where you can look up how much it is because depending on the product category there are different taxes.

They can't cover it with the price, how should they?
As an example: I am in the EU and I buy a bag from US that is 1500,- I have to pay ca. 450,- taxes/duties, if I buy it from UK it ist just the 1500,- and so on...

Sferics

May 23, 2015
Am from Australia and have orered so many times from Farfetch items over 1000AUD never got charged Import charge or GST. All covered by Farfetch.
How do they do that? Is there a trade agreement between UK (EU) and Australia?
Edit: The site indeed says they pay the taxes for a bunch of countries...Australia included. Weird calculatin but pretty cool!

Last edited:

chanelcandy

Dec 26, 2014
Am from Australia and have orered so many times from Farfetch items over 1000AUD never got charged Import charge or GST. All covered by Farfetch.
phew! i thought it would be covered but thought it was strange that the Aus govt sites say you will need to pay for it upon arrival into the country and then ask the supplier for a refund if you've already paid it. Must be an agreement with DHL that they pay for it and then farfetch pays DHL back??

CrazyCool01

May 17, 2015
Australia
phew! i thought it would be covered but thought it was strange that the Aus govt sites say you will need to pay for it upon arrival into the country and then ask the supplier for a refund if you've already paid it. Must be an agreement with DHL that they pay for it and then farfetch pays DHL back??

With farfetch, NAP, Matches, luisaviaroma duties and taxes are paid well before . So ! All good ! Enjoy your bag ❤

spiderlily89

May 17, 2020
Farfetch / My Theresa - No import fees.

Individual sellers (Japanese mostly) - Got charged import fees both times, bags were shipped with DHL and DHL will request the money from you before delivering the bag. Pretty smooth process, just got to factor in the extra cost when thinking about whether or not to buy the bag.