Buying a Pre-loved LV ? regrets?

I'd only go prelove if i'm saving 40% or more (excluding taxes) on the current price and in good - excellent condition.

I just recently purchased a never full (made this year) and barely used for only $700. I saved $600 including taxes.
Yeah me!!!

I some criteria when it comes to pre-loved.

1. It has to be in excellent condition!
2. From wherever I'm buying, a return policy- no questions asked. (Incase of problems not described, smells, scratches etc...)
3. It has to be a BIG difference between buying new vs. Preloved. (Unless its a LE piece no longer made, like my Speedy Mono Cerises... I still got a steal though!)

I have a couple preloved pieces. I made a rookie mistake in the beginning and bought a speedy from Ebay and it was completely fake when I received it. Luckily I got my $ back. On the plus side I got a excellent condition Speedy B Encre for 50% what they were selling on the LV site.

I think there is risk in getting preloved, but so far I haven't had any major regrets! :smile:

+1! Excellent condition, reputable seller with a good return policy, and a big enough discount to justify not buying directly from LV if the item is current production. If the item is still available from LV I prefer that the item be "young", less than a year out from its production date code. My rationale is that an excellent condition "young" item is close enough to new, and a great price seals the deal.

Still, preloved isn't for everyone. I can be a bit germophobic after seeing how some people treat their bags. A fantastic price, some baby wipes to wipe down the canvas and white vinegar to wipe off a few marks on the lining, and a home made base shaper went a long way towards making my preloved Speedy "mine". However, preloved is still a case-by-case thing for me and I will continue buying new from LV too.

It also helps when I consider that the non-LV bags and items I buy in clearance haven't exactly lived an aseptic life away from human hands either. Few things truly have!

I've had great luck buying preloved. I've saved a ton with no regret. I think it's worth it to buy SLGS new because the saving is not worth it.

I agree. I did buy a pre-loved monogram pochette after buying a monogram pochette NM. I use the pre-loved as a make up pouch. No breaking in or worry of make up stains.

Last edited:
I've only bought pre-owned when it was LE items that couldn't be found anymore and one other time when I managed to score a like new MC agenda when the Murakami line first came out for $50 (I don't think the store realized it was real). I'd rather buy new so as not to deal with authenticity issues, but will buy when it's my only option.

I agree with everything posted: it would all depend on the item, price, how used etc.

The pre-loved market is huge though and not just with buying discontinued items but there is a huge market for people who can't justify the new prices and would rather own a genuine used item than buy a fake - which is good when we come to sell items we have fallen out of love with!

I have yet dipped my hands into the world of pre-loved bags. I have looked, for a couple of LE items and a vintage piece but so far nothing to my liking (in either condition or price or both). For items that it is still available in store, I am even more picky. One it has to be in fantastic condition and it has to be a significant percentage off. I have yet to see something that fits the bill. I much rather pay full retail price because my SA is awesome!

I just started buying pre-loved this past October. So far I've had really good luck and I've been really happy with my purchase. I love the fact that the item Is already broken in a bit, it takes the pressure off keeping the vachetta perfect. I hate that feeling when you get your first mark on a new bag... I know that's crazy! That being said NOTHING beats the feeling of leaving a LV boutique with a big brown box and bag....

Never bought pre loved I've looked not impressed at all. Now if I could find someone just like me who took care of her bags I'd buy preLoved all day. The pricing is just nuts sometimes because if I can buy a new bag for about 300 400 more not going to waste my money on something used.

I can understand vintage or discontinued items maybe just have not really seen anything that I would like to buy yet. And not to mention I have seen some great finds here on TPF that were preLoved. Takes great patience to find a great bag that has been preLoved.
Be Blessed MoNikki

Last edited:
I tried looking for a pre loved speedy last month. Nice price, condition is ok. Seller from japan.. But still I worried Too much and might regret it (smell? Return fee, additional customs clearance charges, knock offs etc). I just can't take the risk. I worked hard to earn the money whether I saved some $$ , it's the same principle - spending. I'd still go for a new LV --I love having them anyway, so I want it to the max

I'd only go prelove if i'm saving 40% or more (excluding taxes) on the current price and in good - excellent condition.

I just recently purchased a never full (made this year) and barely used for only $700. I saved $600 including taxes.
Yeah me!!!

Same here! High five, fellow smart shopper :smile:

I buy new and I buy preloved. I have always had very good luck buying preloved but I only buy from Yoogis or Couture USA so I don't have to worry about it not being authentic...
Do what feels right to you!!

I have bought pre-loved items. Some were LE (Watercolore Speedy 30, Sofia Coppola Turquoise, M-T-O Damier Azur Trevi GM) so there was no choice. All good there. Sometimes even had to pay a premium to get it. Still was very happy and have them to this day.

Then, I bought a few that I had never tried on before. Here's where I get into trouble every time. The handbag doesn't look good on me, the color is different than my computer monitor, and things like that. I ended up selling every one of those. Nothing wrong with them at all - just not my style.

As much as I love saving money, I won't buy pre-loved anymore if I haven't tried the handbag in the Shop to make sure it looks good on me and is comfortable to carry. How many times have you gone to the Shop with one handbag in mind and come out with something entirely different?

I'm going to try to stick to new if I can in future! HTH.

I have bought pre-loved items. Some were LE (Watercolore Speedy 30, Sofia Coppola Turquoise, M-T-O Damier Azur Trevi GM) so there was no choice. All good there. Sometimes even had to pay a premium to get it. Still was very happy and have them to this day.

Then, I bought a few that I had never tried on before. Here's where I get into trouble every time. The handbag doesn't look good on me, the color is different than my computer monitor, and things like that. I ended up selling every one of those. Nothing wrong with them at all - just not my style.

As much as I love saving money, I won't buy pre-loved anymore if I haven't tried the handbag in the Shop to make sure it looks good on me and is comfortable to carry. How many times have you gone to the Shop with one handbag in mind and come out with something entirely different?

I'm going to try to stick to new if I can in future! HTH.

Congrats on finding a lot of good PLs. I wish I could do the same. It takes a lot of dedication and "bumps" with TPF authenticators. I tried with a MC pochette and did a lot of researches. I was able to help a friend identify a pre loved mono pochette and was happy to help her by not buying a fake. that instance, I was turned off, they seller could have at least mentioned that it's a knock off.
But if someone sells me a pochette and see her IRL, I don't mind if it's a pre loved. At least I know what I am paying for.

I buy new and I buy preloved. I have always had very good luck buying preloved but I only buy from Yoogis or Couture USA so I don't have to worry about it not being authentic...
Do what feels right to you!!

+ 1. But I've also had great luck with eBay & the TPF authenticators. Like many have said, you have to have GREAT patience when buying pre-loved. When I'm looking for something I check all my "traps" as I call them, daily if not more.

The seller has to have excellent feedback & I check to see what other items they've sold. In addition the item has to come with the box, original receipt & dustbag. I have to save at least $100+ to make it worth it. While $100 is not a lot of money in the land of luxury, it's $100 I can put toward another purchase.