Butler leather, has anybody experienced with this leather?

I have a Bastia coin purse in Butler with a Cobalt interior. The surface of this leather is extremely soft to the touch, softer than any other leather I've handled. It does show any scratches, but small mars can be rubbed out. It seems to be an oil-tanned leather, but it's not like Barenia.

I've asked two SA's about it, they didn't know anything. I see very few Hermes items in Butler, possibly because it scratches easily? I love it and think a lot of others would too, if they had the chance to handle it.

If you like Barenia, as I do, Butler might make you very happy. It's all about the hand...

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has updated info on butler leather? I'm a huge smooth barenia fan, and is wondering how the butler leather wear over the years. I dont mind the scratches as long as it can patina like barenia over time. what do you guys think?

I just got one and i actually asked for it particularly as it's more like love at first sight...
And I was told by the SA not to be worried about scratches and it would develop patina like box leather...
I hope she's right.... and yes the leather is buttery soft~ ^^

My Bastia in Butler natural is developing a wonderful moderate patina after 4 years of occasional use. The odd small scratches have all easily rubbed out. I think it looks great with the goatskin cobalt lining too.

Butler and Barenia natural are my very favourite leathers. Nothing else looks and feels so much like leather to me

Reactions: miss argile
My Bastia in Butler natural is developing a wonderful moderate patina after 4 years of occasional use. The odd small scratches have all easily rubbed out. I think it looks great with the goatskin cobalt lining too.

Butler and Barenia natural are my very favourite leathers. Nothing else looks and feels so much like leather to me
Would you be so kind to share some pics? :flowers:

Hi all,

New to this forum. I was lucky enough to be offered a Constance 18 in Natural Sable Butler leather a few weeks ago, which I happily took. I've been searching all over the net on more information on this leather and have been quite unsuccessful as it doesn't seem to be a popular leather. So far, I LOVE the feel of the leather as it's so, so smooth and so luxurious but have not had the guts to carry it outdoor yet.

I would love to know more about this beautiful leather, how to look after and what to expect.

TIA

Now that this thread is revived, and that I've had my butler constance for almost 6 months, I'll share my thoughts on this leather and hope that it'll help some that are considering bags in this leather.

It is by far the smoothest leather I've experienced. Tadelakt, box, swift all feel grainy compared to butler. The touch is heavenly. It almost feels buttery if not compared to a well-loved barenia. The reason why I don't think it's as buttery is that barenia feels more "moist" than butler when compared side by side. It does show scratches easily like barenia or box -- more similar to box because a new barenia looks drier so it doesn't resemble as much, but so far in my experience, they all disappear after some rubbing. Butler feels plump.

2 potential drawbacks of this leather are, 1) limited color options -- so far I only heard of 2 colors offered 2) need to be careful of dents due to the plump nature. I squeezed my butler constance in my carry-on and possibly the buckle of my luggage scale was pressed against the leather for too long so that left a visible dent on my bag. I haven't got to use my constance since I spotted it because I've been using my big bags lately, so I'm not sure yet if rubbing / interacting with the leather by using it / allowing it to rest would help. But it does seem to be slowly recovering from that incident. I'll try to report back in a few month time.

All in all, I'll still take a bag in butler any day as long as it's an interesting color.

I nearly bought a preowned butler roulis in natual with cobalt lining. It was beautiful but had many scratches and deep marks from use. I was told by H craftsman that it would not be easily refinished and the rubbings would not likely be lessened. It is a beauiful leather if one does not mind how it shows wear. I am a fan of barenia since i know that the patina and marks can be rubbed away with use. Butler seems to be more like a finished natural colored leather that once marks go beyond the top finish surface it is not easily refurbsihed?