Broken bag, offered credit note, but not allowed another Galliera!

okay - complaint letter to Vuitton drafted.

FYI - Franchesca = SA, Barry = after sales manager

Some background info.. then..

· Why was I told that I am not allowed a replacement/refund when I visited The Rocks store initially? I have spoken and confirmed with Fair Trading twice that for issues relating to manufacturing faults, the retailer must offer consumers with 3 choices – repair, replace or refund. I was never offered these choices. Although I am now offered a pseudo-replace option, there is a condition on it.

· Why is there a condition on the credit note? According to the department of Fair Trading, Vuitton can impose a condition on the credit note to say I must buy a similar item e.g. allowed to buy bags, but not accessories. It has been confirmed twice that conditions like the one imposed (not allowed to buy the same bag) is illegal.

· Franchesca mentioned that customers who returned a bag are not allowed to buy the same bag. I understand this – a customer who changed their mind should not be allowed to return a bag and then buy the same new bag. I’m not returning the bag because of buyer’s remorse. I simply want a problem free bag. If Vuitton is able to guarantee that the bag is now free from faults and that should the same problem occur again I can get a replacement, I am happy to accept it. Unfortunately this is not the case.

· A customer who walks in from the street will be allowed to buy a Galliera PM, possibly the same Galliera PM that I can buy with the credit note. If Louis Vuitton bags are free from faults, the same problem should not happen again and hence, Barry’s worries are unfounded. Barry’s worries are only valid should Vuitton admit there is a design fault with the Galliera bags. Assuming Vuitton does not admit such fault, then Barry’s concerns are no longer valid. If I was allowed a new Galliera PM, it should theoretically be problem free. Secondly, if the new bag is to have a problem, the problem will occur regardless of whether it’s sold to me, or to a different customer.

· Barry also mentioned that a reason why I’m not allowed to buy the same bag using the credit note is because a perfectly good bag would’ve been thrown away. However, if I was to chose another style, the perfectly good bag would’ve been thrown away anyway. Is this even a reason as to why I’ve been denied the right to buy the same bag?

I bought a Neverfull a few weeks back, the canvas was really dry and light in colour, so I returned it, he offered to replace it with the same bag....but advised me that they were all the same dry canvas and this lighter canvas looked this way and was normal for the Neverfull....I exchanged for the Galliera PM, and was unsure about which size, the SA told me that they only "usually" exchange once, however in this case he would make an exception and allow me to change to the GM (if necessary) as I hadn't seen it in person. Luckily the PM was fine.

So they can exchange for the same bag if something is not right....or there is a fault. I think what it comes down to is they know the Galliera has problems and they don't want to admit it because it will be too great a loss to recall and repair all the bags.

I would have to assume/hope that the store doesn't intend to sell anymore Galliera's at all (not just to you) and not sell them until the design fault is rectified. Perhaps they just don't want to admit it? and this is why they are telling you this?...just a theory....if you have a credit, you buy something else and they still have a sale.

You should be able to demand a refund, or they are legally required to repair (they are willing aren't they?) If you really love it, maybe just get the repair, otherwise fight like mad for a refund...

I was trying to figure out if this pin sits inside the gold ring - if you pushed the gold ring closer together, like in on itself, wouldn't it secure it more? I can't understand how/why they are breaking...so frustrating, I would have a hard time handing mine over too...

You're letter is very good. The only suggestion I have is that you find the wording to politely INSIST on being allowed to choose to replace the bag with a new Galleria PM if that is what you want.

I find the policy you are dealing with extremely odd and paternalistic. It treats the customer as if she/he were a child. You can have this, but not this.

there's a conclusion to the letter:

As you can see, I am certainly having difficulties understanding the rationale behind what Franchsca and Barry said. I understand I am not a VIP customer, but I just want a fair treatment. I am a supporter of Vuitton because I believe you are a quality manufacturer and produce superior products. I am beyond words as to how disappointed I am because of what’s happened. I just simply want to get the same right that I was entitled to initially – to get the Galliera PM replaced. I do not want a credit note that will be of no use to me, as I am only interested in purchasing the one bag I am not allowed to buy.

More twists
- Aparently exchanges are normal and my friend's friend is surprised why it didn't happen. More unfair treatment?

- They don't allow customers who got a credit note to get the same bag because in Aus, you can get the bag, take the bag outta the country and get 10% (GST) back. So if u keep doing this, you can keep getting refunds. But this doesn't apply to my situation!!! I don't even need/want the receipt as long as I get the bag replaced.

- Also, I should aparently speak to them nicely and don't mention taking further actions (i.e. no department of fair trading). Seriously, you mean us customers should beg?

I hate this i hate this i hate this i hate this i hate this i hate this i hate this i hate this i hate this i hate this. This is so BS!

Last edited:
I bought a Neverfull a few weeks back, the canvas was really dry and light in colour, so I returned it, he offered to replace it with the same bag....but advised me that they were all the same dry canvas and this lighter canvas looked this way and was normal for the Neverfull....I exchanged for the Galliera PM, and was unsure about which size, the SA told me that they only "usually" exchange once, however in this case he would make an exception and allow me to change to the GM (if necessary) as I hadn't seen it in person. Luckily the PM was fine.

So they can exchange for the same bag if something is not right....or there is a fault. I think what it comes down to is they know the Galliera has problems and they don't want to admit it because it will be too great a loss to recall and repair all the bags.

I would have to assume/hope that the store doesn't intend to sell anymore Galliera's at all (not just to you) and not sell them until the design fault is rectified. Perhaps they just don't want to admit it? and this is why they are telling you this?...just a theory....if you have a credit, you buy something else and they still have a sale.

You should be able to demand a refund, or they are legally required to repair (they are willing aren't they?) If you really love it, maybe just get the repair, otherwise fight like mad for a refund...

I was trying to figure out if this pin sits inside the gold ring - if you pushed the gold ring closer together, like in on itself, wouldn't it secure it more? I can't understand how/why they are breaking...so frustrating, I would have a hard time handing mine over too...

The bag is already repaired....

I just don't want to accept it unless they can tell me:
a. It's properly repaired and won't happen again
b. If it happens again I can have a replacement then.

And you got offered a replacement of the same bag!! The more I hear about this the more it doens't make sense.

And about the gold ring.. the pin is a certain length.. so if u push the ring together it'd probably force the pin out, not in.

Just keep calm ^^ you can't stress yourself out so much, at the end of the day it's a bag and a situation that in a months time will be resolved one way or another... just take it as it comes, work out a plan (which is what you are doing with your letter) you need to phone Barry tomorrow and calmly express how much anxiety this is causing you explain that you would like a refund...if he insists on credit note only or refuses to refund, politely ask him "who else can I speak with if I disagree with your decision?"

If you want the Galliera still why not let them repair it? I think that is all they are legally obliged to do to be honest, you might find that once they send it off and deem it un-repairable that you may be given a new one anyway - someone else (in US though) mentioned this happened.

I do feel for you, but don't let it consume you, it will sort itself out. x

The bag is already repaired....

I just don't want to accept it unless they can tell me:
a. It's properly repaired and won't happen again
b. If it happens again I can have a replacement then.

And you got offered a replacement of the same bag!! The more I hear about this the more it doens't make sense.

And about the gold ring.. the pin is a certain length.. so if u push the ring together it'd probably force the pin out, not in.

^^ sorry I posted that before I read this....ok so it's already repaired, they can't guarantee any bag really...:shrugs: bags have had hardware fall off and other random issues, so there's no way of that sort of guarantee, but if it happens again, they will have to repair or replace, I would deal with it then....maybe as my Neverfull was unused that was why they could exchange whereas yours is used and repaired? If it happens again, I would be insisting on a refund as you have given it enough chances by that point....if it's been professionally repaired then I would accept it back and deal with the problem if and when it happens...

Told myself not to think about it, but it really is bothering me. I am a perfectionist, if there is a little flaw it will bug me.

Just before stepping out for work this morning I put the repaired Galliera on my shoulder and it's really really really bad to say, but I think I've lost the love for the bag. I used to have a smile on my face everytime I put it on. Not now. I guess the bag is just reminding me of the pains of the situation or something.. but it's just not right anymore.

I think I will bring the bag back in and change it to a different style.

Sorry girls for listening to me and now I'm changing my mind. :crybaby:

The first time the bag broke I put the pin back in and it was fine.. no problem at all for weeks... then it happened again..

I'm not sure I understand this correctly.
LV actually repaired the bag only once because you "fixed" it yourself the first time the pin fell out?

Then I guess what you did when you put the pin back in, was just put a defective pin in that was, of course, going to fall out again sometime.

I have worked at a watch store before and as everybody knows, the straps are attached to the watch via a pin. No matter how expensive the brand sometimes these pins are defective and just need to be replaced. The cannot be used again. Even though bags and watches are very different I understand the mechanics behind those sucker-pins.
Maybe LV used pins that were too thin and maybe replaced it with a different pin (not visible from the outside).

All I'm saying is, even though I don't agree with how LV treated you, you should be fine with a new pin.
Of course they cannot garantee you that it will never happen again, that's just because nobody that fixes anything for you can garantee that it will never break again.

It's so sad to see how you lost your love for this georgous bag because of this stupid pin. :sad:
How long do you have until you have to decide?
I would suggest sleeping on it and letting your anger about LV's customer service resolve a bit.

I'm not sure I understand this correctly.
LV actually repaired the bag only once because you "fixed" it yourself the first time the pin fell out?

Then I guess what you did when you put the pin back in, was just put a defective pin in that was, of course, going to fall out again sometime.

I have worked at a watch store before and as everybody knows, the straps are attached to the watch via a pin. No matter how expensive the brand sometimes these pins are defective and just need to be replaced. The cannot be used again. Even though bags and watches are very different I understand the mechanics behind those sucker-pins.
Maybe LV used pins that were too thin and maybe replaced it with a different pin (not visible from the outside).

All I'm saying is, even though I don't agree with how LV treated you, you should be fine with a new pin.
Of course they cannot garantee you that it will never happen again, that's just because nobody that fixes anything for you can garantee that it will never break again.

It's so sad to see how you lost your love for this georgous bag because of this stupid pin. :sad:
How long do you have until you have to decide?
I would suggest sleeping on it and letting your anger about LV's customer service resolve a bit.
Great point...well said...thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Charmanda,

I really do think many here are really wanting to help you, especially paije.

You say you are a perfectionist and that you have lost your love for this bag.

I can relate to what you are feeling because I have put myself in situations like that too. And when I say that "I have put myself in situations like that too" what I mean is that I have caused myself unnecessary unhappiness and disappointment by expecting something to be perfect. I truly don't intend to be out of line here, but I think if you are stuck with this bag that you could try to focus on what you loved about the bag and not the problem with the pin. It may be completely fixed now. I agree that LV hasn't treated you as well as you should have been treated and perhaps if they had explained things better you wouldn't be feeling like you do now.

Perfectionism is very self-destructive. It keeps us from the getting pleasure that we really deserve. Nothing in this world is ever perfect.

As I said, I don't mean to be out of line. I just hope that maybe I could add something that would help you see things more positively.

Like DaisyF said, I am a perfectionist about my bags. I am also a person of principal though.

I think no matter what you decide with the bag, it's important to still send a letter to LV. If the first time you fixed the bag you did the repair yourself, maybe LV has really managed to fix the problem this time.

Of course, the situation seems ridiculous as well as the statements by the LV staff you had to deal with, so you should still express your concerns to corporate.