Boardwalk Empire

Nope, won't be watching. I woke up while it was starting. soon as I saw the "New Orleans Jazz Band" in Black face, that was enough for me.

There is enough racism in the world without me haveing to watch it on a weekly basis on my tv shows.

:woohoo:Right, and the point of the black faces was???? Besides I don't see the leading man holding the entire show, so they have to make sure they do outrages things, maybe???

Wow, interesting reason to tune out.

I'm not sure I get that either. It's a detail similar to why the women were wearing flapper dresses, or the cars were of a certain model. When you watch a movie about the Civil War, you typically see people depicted as slaves.

It's not condoning it - obviously these are practices that people don't participate in any longer in the US - but if you're making a period piece, it seems right that it's accurate.

:woohoo:Right, and the point of the black faces was???? Besides I don't see the leading man holding the entire show, so they have to make sure they do outrages things, maybe???

Well, I saw no relevancy/nor added value in the blackface. To have a band of white men in black face walking down the boardwalk, was unnecessary. They could have just left it an all white band and that would have been sufficient.

And yes, gsmom, I do think tht is a good enough reason for ME not to watch.

ETA: I don't expect you guys to Get It. Unfortunately, I think that women being show in flapper dresses or not having the right to vote is sooooo NOT the same as having people dress up in black face. If it were a movie about slavery, then it would be relevant to have slaves in the movie, but other than "it was part of the period," please tell me how was that scene relevant to prohibition?

Last edited:
Well, I saw no relevancy/nor added value in the blackface. To have a band of white men in black face walking down the boardwalk, was unnecessary. They could have just left it an all white band and that would have been sufficient.

And yes, gsmom, I do think tht is a good enough reason for ME not to watch.

ETA: I don't expect you guys to Get It. Unfortunately, I think that women being show in flapper dresses or not having the right to vote is sooooo NOT the same as having people dress up in black face. If it were a movie about slavery, then it would be relevant to have slaves in the movie, but other than "it was part of the period," please tell me how was that scene relevant to prohibition?

Yep, you're right, I don't Get It. Anyhow, I can see this going in a political/controversial direction, so I will bow out.

Since this is a thread to talk about the show, I'll continue.

Although parts of it were uncomfortable to watch (like a woman being called a stupid ***** and whore), the show was good. It's definitely one I'll be watching.

^Yes, it was historically accurate. It doesn't make it okay ethically, it's just how the times were. Even women weren't allowed to vote yet, (which I find offensive as well) so they are trying to be accurate.

Exactly. These are deliberate period references to set the time frame of the series. This is how it was. People were discriminated against, women did not have the vote and there was Prohibition. Period. Can't change what was to make it politically correct or palatable for 2010. That is rather naive. If people find it offensive to learn that this was the way life was back then, then they should not watch or read history books.

Exactly. These are deliberate period references to set the time frame of the series. This is how it was. People were discriminated against, women did not have the vote and there was Prohibition. Period. Can't change what was to make it politically correct or palatable for 2010. That is rather naive. If people find it offensive to learn that this was the way life was back then, then they should not watch or read history books.

So now I'm naive? Sorry, don't think you know me at all to make that judgment. And I NEVER said you can change history, I just said there was NO POINT to that segment of the show as it had no added value.

It's not LadyBug. We all have things that set us off, that for some reason hits a sour note and this was yours. That's okay. You are entitled to your opinion and feelings.

For some reason, I was really disturbed with the female cadaver (nude, full-frontal) layed out on display. I thought it was a little too gratuitous.

I do get what you are saying about the "jazz band". I did notice it, even pondered it but I guess it didn't hit me like it did you. I'm sorry you were upset by it.

Now in looking up the history of Prohibition this is what I found:

How so? Check out the names of some of the most popular hits from 1920: “Prohibition Blues,” “The Moon Shines on the Moonshine” and “Everybody Wants a Key to My Cellar.” The latter two songs were part of the popular “black face” performer Bert Williams’ (who was actually African-American) repertoire. He also sang the Prohibition-themed songs “Save a Little Dram for Me” and “Ten Little Bottles.”

This adds relevancy and would have made more sense.

Admat,

Thanks for being understanding and not dismissive like others. I agree each person has a right to their own views and to watch the show if they want to or not, For ME, I will NOT for the reasons above.

Thanks again.
It's not LadyBug. We all have things that set us off, that for some reason hits a sour note and this was yours. That's okay. You are entitled to your opinion and feelings.

For some reason, I was really disturbed with the female cadaver (nude, full-frontal) layed out on display. I thought it was a little too gratuitous.

I do get what you are saying about the "jazz band". I did notice it, even pondered it but I guess it didn't hit me like it did you. I'm sorry you were upset by it.

This REALLYYYYY bugged me too! Come on she's in a room with 5 dudes!! I think they could have coved her. The whole point of that segment was to show the hidden distillery. Once again NO ADDED VALUE!

Unfortunately, the nudity and sex scenes are part of the HBO ethos. I don't know which came first the chicken or the egg. They have nudity/sex in all their shows or they think that viewers expect or want nudity in all their shows. Too bad that Scorsese had to sink to that level as he does not usually do that that sort of thing in his movies.

Ladybug, my comment was not personal to you and sorry if it appeared that way. I don't think that historical points, even when unpleasant and offensive, should be left out if they are establishing the time frame of the story.

The sex and nudity certainly did nothing to add to establishing the time frame of the story.