Big day: inside an $80,000 wedding - comments please

I would NEVER spend eighty grand on a wedding! But that's just MHO. I like to GO to weddings but I just got married at our town hall! Just the 2 of us! Cheap!

I hope my kids don't want big weddings 'cause I ain't paying for it. I'd rather pay for their education & a down payment on a house!

I would NEVER spend eighty grand on a wedding! But that's just MHO. I like to GO to weddings but I just got married at our town hall! Just the 2 of us! Cheap!

I hope my kids don't want big weddings 'cause I ain't paying for it. I'd rather pay for their education & a down payment on a house!

I am with you MassLaw!

It's not fair to bash people for spending a lot of money on their wedding. If they can afford it, then why not have the ceremony of their dreams? Everyone has a different idea of what the perfect wedding is, but it's THEIR wedding and if they're happy with it then that's all that should matter.

Well, I can see how a wedding can balloon up to $80k fairly quickly if you have no financial restraints. My wedding was 200 guests and ended up being $30k, and I was really cheaping it! Like my $150 used dress came from Ebay, flowers we got at Costco, lots of things were DIY and it still came out to that amount. We are in CA though, where it typically costs $150/pp just for the room and food. So if they had 280 guests and did it in Sydney where costs are higher...and she went with a really nice dress, nice centerpieces (which can easily be $100/ea), etc....$80k can be hit pretty easily! (Doesn't mean it's not absurd, but weddings are really expensive now, and you don't even have to be crazy!)

Yep, weddings can definitely be very expensive. 80K can go quickly!

I agree with your entire post:yes:. I've had a wedding myself and been to weddings that were in all price ranges. Honestly some of the best weddings I attended were the mid-range--10-30K-- ones. Small intimate weddings are less expensive and usually more appealing IMO.

It's not fair to bash people for spending a lot of money on their wedding. If they can afford it, then why not have the ceremony of their dreams? Everyone has a different idea of what the perfect wedding is, but it's THEIR wedding and if they're happy with it then that's all that should matter.

This really is the bottom line...If people can afford it and they aren't asking others to help them pay for it or have to ask. What does it matter? It's their day to do what they wish.

Agree totally.

If the couple has a net worth of over tens of millions, what is $80K? This is like bashing Bill Gates for spending hundreds of thousand dollars on a sports car.:rolleyes:

I can see the similarity between the girls in this forum and typical people who do not care about spending $$ on designer bags. People think that I am crazy for buying one or two birkins. They chuckled and commented in a demeaning way, "It's like a downpayment for a house or a full car payment for us!" Well, too bad. Everyone has his/her own priorities and sense of worth. If I can afford it and enjoy getting it. Why not?

Agree totally.

If the couple has a net worth of over tens of millions, what is $80K? This is like bashing Bill Gates for spending hundreds of thousand dollars on a sports car.:rolleyes:

People think that I am crazy for buying one or two birkins. They chuckled and commented in a demeaning way, "It's like a downpayment for a house or a full car payment for us!" Well, too bad. Everyone has his/her own priorities and sense of worth. If I can afford it and enjoy getting it. Why not?

Exactly. The topic of how much money is too much keeps being brought up. There are so many threads on here already with people bashing other people for spending their own money on things that they want. Everyone has their own opinion on what is expensive and you will always find someone who disagrees with you. No need to bash others and pass judgement on how long their marriage will last when you don't even know them.

Agree totally.

I can see the similarity between the girls in this forum and typical people who do not care about spending $$ on designer bags. People think that I am crazy for buying one or two birkins. They chuckled and commented in a demeaning way, "It's like a downpayment for a house or a full car payment for us!" Well, too bad. Everyone has his/her own priorities and sense of worth. If I can afford it and enjoy getting it. Why not?

ITA with you and SpoiledKiwi:P

My guess is that if the family could afford to spend $80 grand on the wedding, that they could easily pay for other things such as college and down payments on houses. In their case there's probably plenty to go around.

I always wonder why people care so much about what others pay for anything? What does it have to do with anyone other than the people spending the money?
I've never given second thought to what someone spends on an item or event.

If people spent less time worrying about others........

Weddings are EXPENSIVE, also depending on location.

I'm trying to plan one right now...trying to cost on many things, but just doesn't save me that much.

I talked to one florist, and she was telling me how one of her clients ended up wanting centerpieces that cost $1500 each! :wtf: haha...I was trying to keep my centerpieces under $80.

At my first wedding we had more than 300 guests and it was SUPER expensive. I don't even want to think about it as we were married for only 30 days. LOL

So, about 80K sounds about right! Weddings are expensive. That's why Dh and I eloped at Caesar's Palace in Vegas for only $5K and that was with NO guests!

When a friend of my DH got remarried, his reception dinner was about $600/person before tax and tips. The couple invited 80 ppl and the reception cost them $100,000. They're super rich, and I liked attending that reception. So, If you have the means, why not?