Big city girl stuck in redneck hell!

Ok, this is JMO also, but I think it was really mean to call him a "God awful Hillbilly" and an "idiot" ... just because he didn't know Chanel???

and No I am not from the South, I am in Chicago

totally agree. but I am from the south (living in the northeast now) as are many people on this forum.

i think in the south there is less of a need to display your "worth" externally. Weber, in his modern urban theory, would probably liken this to city dwellers very isolated and estranged modes of living in a very cramped places with many people, few of whom they know intimately. this results in the desire to make oneself known or communicate oneself through external forms of conspicuous consumption (i.e. designer clothes, nice cars, etc etc)

So do I fault this man for not knowing coach from chanel? Hell no, of course not. He was just trying to be kind to you, as he probably could tell you were out of sync with your environs.

and, as a side point, what straight man really knows a dang thing about chanel in the first place? (unless we tell them)

secondly, who cares about nordstrom. that was a ridiculous reason to fault a group of people.

I doubt that many people in the US would know what Nordstrom is, especially men. We don't have one here (in my large, urban city in the Northeast).

I feel for you. But I have to say my DH would not know the diff between a Chanel and a Coach. Plus if he knew what the cost diff was, :rolleyes: . He just notices when I have a diff handbag. Which is alot lately. :nuts: But u will always be a big city girl at :heart: , no matter where you live.

I wouldnt mind living in a hick town, people are probally really nice and who cares if they know about fashion, at least you know what you have and its worth to you. I bet this guy saw your cc's and thought coach, I dont think he was a hilbilly or a hick for that, I know most males would'nt know the difference nor care to. I would be worried if I went to a " hillbilly " town and some guy said " I love your GST, chanel rocks , did you get it at Norstrom?" lol

I know exactly how you feel!!! I'm from New York and living in Pittsburgh. I have also lived in ST Louis. There s no place like New York. It's a country unto itself. I hate to tell you this but the fashion mentality ( or lack of it) will be the least of your worries living there. I'm not putting anyone or anyplace down, but when you come from ny your mentality is totally different. My condolenses to you. LOL

i totally empathaize, my DH and i have gone up there (Lakeland) on business and if i had to live there, would die...........i am from LA too and currently live in Boca Raton, both places where Chanel, etc., are common and revered. You must come down, its about a 2.5 hour drive i think, maybe 3, and we will organize a mini PF Chanel Day! I feel your frustration - its kinda a part of the whole designer mindset if other women around us can at least recognize and appreciate our bags, and have their own too!!! The sisterhood is so much fun......................come on down for your "big city high-end" fix!! lol

Am amazed a man even knew the name Coach.

I've lived in SF, D.C. and now West Virginia. The goodies aka Chanel are shipped, no tax. While I marvel at hawks, bats, wild turkeys (not the bottled product), deer and rabbits. I had a man, who epitomizes the W.V. look, tell me nice ride. Who knows if he knew what I was driving; he just liked the M Roadster. Cool cars, especially vintage, are not a rarity here. (Chanel is :smile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenvictoria2
Ok, this is JMO also, but I think it was really mean to call him a "God awful Hillbilly" and an "idiot" ... just because he didn't know Chanel???

and No I am not from the South, I am in Chicago

totally agree. but I am from the south (living in the northeast now) as are many people on this forum.

i think in the south there is less of a need to display your "worth" externally. Weber, in his modern urban theory, would probably liken this to city dwellers very isolated and estranged modes of living in a very cramped places with many people, few of whom they know intimately. this results in the desire to make oneself known or communicate oneself through external forms of conspicuous consumption (i.e. designer clothes, nice cars, etc etc)

So do I fault this man for not knowing coach from chanel? Hell no, of course not. He was just trying to be kind to you, as he probably could tell you were out of sync with your environs.

and, as a side point, what straight man really knows a dang thing about chanel in the first place? (unless we tell them)

secondly, who cares about nordstrom. that was a ridiculous reason to fault a group of people.

I doubt that many people in the US would know what Nordstrom is, especially men. We don't have one here (in my large, urban city in the Northeast).

I'm from London (UK) and I agree with the sentiments expressed in both of these posts.

Edit: it doesn't matter where a person comes from it's rude.