Best way to 'detax' after H in Europe

I'm still waiting on mine from Feb. I had to resubmit everything because they said H did not specify how the refund should be granted, cash or card. Interesting because since all refunds are credit card I would have assumed that the system is fixed with the cashier, but apparently it isnt and they have to designate. I am getting close to the three week mark (three weeks since I resubmitted) so we will see what happens. It's a small refund, but still.

I'm still waiting on mine from Feb. I had to resubmit everything because they said H did not specify how the refund should be granted, cash or card. Interesting because since all refunds are credit card I would have assumed that the system is fixed with the cashier, but apparently it isnt and they have to designate. I am getting close to the three week mark (three weeks since I resubmitted) so we will see what happens. It's a small refund, but still.

How frustrating! Can you tell us how you resubmitted? Did you have to get a new form from Hermes? This is the one scenario I haven't experienced. I thought I had seen everything by now.

I did not have to go back to Hermes fortunately and everything was stamped correctly by Pablo as well. Global Blue sent a "reissue request" form. I had to return that, along with a copy of my passport. We'll see! Good luck with yours too!

Reactions: EmileH
That's never happened to me and I always use my Amex at Hermès. I actually had a refund issue recently and discussed the exchange rate with Amex - it was refunded in euro and Amex changed into dollars, no scenic route :smile:

My Amex refunds from France are always in pounds that are then converted to dollars. The fine print on the global blue website even says that Amex refunds will be issued in pounds. So I'm not sure why yours aren't.

The explanation from global blue of why my refund is delayed by three weeks;

"Please be informed, that the processing time will be delayed because of the delayed delivery of the electronic customs stamp from French customs."

I don't see how something electronic can be delayed in this day and age. More likely global blue checks the Pablo system but not the agents' system until you tell them to look there. Bother them early and often. Perhaps they will get their act together. Both premier and global blue stink. And they take a nice cut for their lousy services.

The explanation from global blue of why my refund is delayed by three weeks;

"Please be informed, that the processing time will be delayed because of the delayed delivery of the electronic customs stamp from French customs."

I don't see how something electronic can be delayed in this day and age. More likely global blue checks the Pablo system but not the agents' system until you tell them to look there. Bother them early and often. Perhaps they will get their act together. Both premier and global blue stink. And they take a nice cut for their lousy services.

Ughhhh! Thank you for sharing, @PdP. I will definitely bug them if I don't hear from them on Friday.

That's never happened to me and I always use my Amex at Hermès. I actually had a refund issue recently and discussed the exchange rate with Amex - it was refunded in euro and Amex changed into dollars, no scenic route :smile:

My Amex refunds from France are always in pounds that are then converted to dollars. The fine print on the global blue website even says that Amex refunds will be issued in pounds. So I'm not sure why yours aren't.

It appears from various experiences that we can only be sure that everyone's experience may be different.

Reactions: QuelleFromage
Finally got my refund today from a 4/1 departure. Large amount so skipped Pablo and went right to the agent. It never showed up in Global BLue's system and I had to call repeatedly. As others have said, don't refund to Amex. They convert Euros to pounds to dollars and you lose!!! AMex did make it right, though!

Reactions: Mininana
Finally got my refund today from a 4/1 departure. Large amount so skipped Pablo and went right to the agent. It never showed up in Global BLue's system and I had to call repeatedly. As others have said, don't refund to Amex. They convert Euros to pounds to dollars and you lose!!! AMex did make it right, though!

Can I ask what did Amex do to help?

Hi PdP! I called and complained that I had a no foreign transaction fee card so I was entitled to the Euro VAT refund amount at the exchange rate on that day. I was credited the difference from actual refund and what should have been the refund at the euro conversion rate. Very strange that they convert to £s and then $. Next time I will request the VAT back to visa!

Reactions: Mme. de la Paix
I nominated a visa debit card for my Chanel refund, I didn't realise that it had to be a 'credit card', since this card mimics a credit card but is actually attached to my savings account will I get my refund? Please let me know your thoughts as I am still in Paris and as such can I still change it after the purchase. Thanks in advance.

Hi PdP! I called and complained that I had a no foreign transaction fee card so I was entitled to the Euro VAT refund amount at the exchange rate on that day. I was credited the difference from actual refund and what should have been the refund at the euro conversion rate. Very strange that they convert to £s and then $. Next time I will request the VAT back to visa!

Thanks for the info. I'll call them once the refund hits. Maybe I can get them to correct the refunds for my last two trips too.

Global Blue just emailed me confirming that the forms I scanned on 4/29 were confirmed and being processed. They said it takes 36 days.

Apparently, Chanel is processed by another company and I accidentally submitted those numbers. Need to take another look at the forms later. Thank you, everyone!