Benefits of buying brand new???

especially for the Neverfull I would go for brand new since this purse already costs half of many other LV purses.

and it does feel nice to accompany the purse from the first moment on.
:biggrin:

To me, buying an LV isn't just about the bag, it's the entire experience, personally, i find the experience of walking into the store, browsing, playing with the bags then walking out with something i fell in love with in store is more addicting than just buying the bags. Which might explain why my brown boxes still give me a thrill just looking at them, and the others from gucci, prada, BB etc don't make me as happy (my dad brings them back from his business trips to Europe)...

I strongly suggest going in store, especially for your first purchase, go in there, look around, play with a couple of bags, have fun. After that, if you decide you need more LV, you can always buy it online or from lv.com

As for shopping in store, go to both Nords and the flagship, that way you can observe how the SAs treat you and other customers, pick a friendly, professional SA, that way your shopping trip will be perfect :smile:

I think you're first should be from the boutique, if you can manage it. My collection is a mix of boutique, and like new from online consigners. Good luck!

I've been looking in consignment stores (I like to actually see and touch the item before I buy) but I'm leaning toward the boutique for my first (and probably only) LV purse.

I did buy a pochette at the consignment store but on doing more reseach I think it's fake (some of the LVs are cut and I've seen on the Internet that this is never allowed).

It's still the best made bag I've ever had so I think "I" could easily be fooled or at least wouldn't have 100% confidence my bag was real unless I bought it at LV. Someone here said in another thread that as much as 99% of all the LV we see is fake!

The pochette was cheap (old but very clean), the age made me think it had to be real for some reason - I'll use it to hold pens and pencils in my desk at home!

I will NEVER buy used unless the bag is discontinued or I cannot find it anywhere else. I mean if I'm gunna get a designer bag I want it to be brand new and owned by me only.

ITA! recently i bought 2 items on the cheap that i could have bought in store & the transactions turned out to be a NIGHTMARE! the first looked greats but smelled horribly. and the 2nd never arrived:shucks: the 1st seller gv me a refund & the 2nd i opened up a case w/ ebay! though ive bought from ebay before this has scared me straight. the only thing im checking for now on ebay are items that i cant get from the boutique

If you're in eastern Iowa, there's a closer LV at the Oakbrook mall in Illinois. I've shopped there and the SAs are very helpful. Also, lower sales tax...hooray!

I've only bought one thing used (a bag charm, in perfect condition). I'm always tempted to buy used. But then I stop myself.

The used prices don't seem that much less expensive, considering a few things. Questions of authenticity (even if authenticated here), having the box / dust bag / etc., condition, and the idea that someone else owned it - and I don't know what they did with it. Oh, and there's something about walking into the store and walking out with the little bag. :yahoo:Childish, but exciting nonetheless.

I don't think there's anything wrong buying used. If I found a great deal on a bag, I'd totally get used. I would only buy used if it was a bag I was considering new - in other words, I have to love the style regardless of the price; and the price has to be worth the considerations listed above. If it's a deal, totally get it.

Good luck with your decision. That's very nice of your husband! And welcome to the world of LV.

If you're in eastern Iowa, there's a closer LV at the Oakbrook mall in Illinois. I've shopped there and the SAs are very helpful. Also, lower sales tax...hooray!
I live close-ish to OakBrook, but work a few blocks from the store on Michigan Ave. I've gone to the OakBrook store several times just to save a few $ on sales tax. It's killer!

Well I love vintage LV's. For your first LV though I recommend getting it new.

Part of the fun of getting your first LV is the experience that you have at the boutique trying on all the bags and then getting the perfect one for you.

If you can afford to get a bag new, that's a good idea. The only time I'd buy a bag used is if it was discontinued and no longer available in stores. Even at that point, I'd have it authenticated and checked out at least in the "authenticate this LV" thread.

There is nothing wrong with buying used. The only problem is that you run the risks of smells, undisclosed damages, etc.