Barney's filed for bankruptcy 15 stores closing

I liked Barneys. But now there are quite a few stand alone stores with the designers Barneys carried. In the past few years in Chicago, we now have Dior, Saint Laurent, Louboutin, Rag & Bone, others. I love Helmut Lang and Alexander Wang but now you can get those at Nordstrom and Saks. I got quite a few things from Barneys but am now very hesitant to buy online as you never know if at the flip of a switch they may not accept a return.

Reactions: Handbags&horses
From the article in JCK - store closings and stores remaining open:

When Barneys filed for Chapter 11 on Aug. 5 in Southern District of New York federal court, the company announced that it was looking for a buyer and that it planned to close 15 of its 22 stores. Full-price stores being closed are Chicago, Las Vegas, and Seattle, along with five smaller concept stores and seven Barneys Warehouse locations.

The flagships slated to remain are in New York City (one uptown and one downtown); Beverly Hills, Calif.; San Francisco; and Boston. Two Barneys Warehouse locations will also remain open—in Central Valley, N.Y., and Livermore, Calif.

I'm surprised by this. Apparently before they filed bankruptcy they were already in talks with farfetch for a buy out.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/26/barneys-nears-sale-to-online-luxury-retailer-farfetch-sources/
Makes me sad. I hate that the Chicago store is closing , although it makes sense as it never seemed busy.

I was surprised they even built that store. I hardly ever saw anyone in there. I liked looking at bags but the clothes were so expensive and not really my style.

Reactions: TIFFANI251
Well .. not quite yet. The original plan was for Saks Fifth Avenue to buy Barneys, but their intent was to CLOSE all the stores because Barneys is competition (and of course, they would take the good merchandise and disperse with the not-so-great merchandise). However, from what I'm reading now, there are other players in the mix and one which does, in fact, want to keep some of the Barneys stores in-tact. It certainly makes sense in Beverly Hills and Madison (NYC) because I know out here in LA-LA land, the celebs pretty much exclusively shop at Barneys (or the stores on Rodeo) .. they don't schlep to Saks or Neimans.

For me personally, while I don't go to Barneys like I used to (let me just say that I was considered a "Platinum" customer - and for good reason, I bought TONS of goods from the Barneys Co-op in Boston, the NYC stores and then the Boston Barneys, in addition to some forays out here before I lived in LA). It was always one of my guilty pleasures to go there every once in a while, especially to look at the Jewelry (although it's nothing like it used to be - Bergdorf Goodman in NYC is now the best for the eclectic jewelry). I really hope that they can keep some stores open!

Well .. not quite yet. The original plan was for Saks Fifth Avenue to buy Barneys, but their intent was to CLOSE all the stores because Barneys is competition (and of course, they would take the good merchandise and disperse with the not-so-great merchandise). However, from what I'm reading now, there are other players in the mix and one which does, in fact, want to keep some of the Barneys stores in-tact. It certainly makes sense in Beverly Hills and Madison (NYC) because I know out here in LA-LA land, the celebs pretty much exclusively shop at Barneys (or the stores on Rodeo) .. they don't schlep to Saks or Neimans.

For me personally, while I don't go to Barneys like I used to (let me just say that I was considered a "Platinum" customer - and for good reason, I bought TONS of goods from the Barneys Co-op in Boston, the NYC stores and then the Boston Barneys, in addition to some forays out here before I lived in LA). It was always one of my guilty pleasures to go there every once in a while, especially to look at the Jewelry (although it's nothing like it used to be - Bergdorf Goodman in NYC is now the best for the eclectic jewelry). I really hope that they can keep some stores open!
I haven’t shopped there in years either, but would love for that to be the case. Hope any last-minute white knight can help them renegotiate the rent they’re paying for Madison.

The most recent news is that a decision should be made by October 22.
My experience the last few days I was looking for an item that was to be shipped to Barney's
as the same item was shipped to other stores & later found out that the vendor did not ship
because they have concerns about getting paid.
I enjoy shopping in Barney's over the years & wanted to continue to support the store, but
when merchandise is expected & one gets the runaround about delivery, that is not encouraging.
I'll be patient & see what happens in the next few weeks. It would be a shame to see the Madison Avenue
store close..

The most recent news is that a decision should be made by October 22.
My experience the last few days I was looking for an item that was to be shipped to Barney's
as the same item was shipped to other stores & later found out that the vendor did not ship
because they have concerns about getting paid.
I enjoy shopping in Barney's over the years & wanted to continue to support the store, but
when merchandise is expected & one gets the runaround about delivery, that is not encouraging.
I'll be patient & see what happens in the next few weeks. It would be a shame to see the Madison Avenue
store close..

This has always been a problem with Barneys; I've heard too many times that they were slow to pay .. if at all. I hope you get your item(s) SOON!

It's official now.. Authentic Brands has taken over Barney's.
One of the most extraordinary specialty stores with spectacular taste & a level of sophistication that we likely
we not see again.
Madison Avenue will not be the same without seeing the holiday windows at Barney's..
Unbelievable, that's all I can say & deeply saddened about all of this

It's official now.. Authentic Brands has taken over Barney's.
One of the most extraordinary specialty stores with spectacular taste & a level of sophistication that we likely
we not see again.
Madison Avenue will not be the same without seeing the holiday windows at Barney's..
Unbelievable, that's all I can say & deeply saddened about all of this
Just saw your post, am in shock. I thought they'd keep the flagship store in midtown.

Barneys was my go to shopping haven, more so than any of the 5th Avenue boutiques or Saks/BG in the city. I bought my first Givenchy nightingale from them after joining tpf. They had the best warehouse sale that ppl would line up for around the block.

I read an article that said more than 2k employees would be out of a job, and all the liquidation would impact other retailers. This is a big change with lots of impact that will be felt online and in the city.

Reactions: TIFFANI251