Barney's filed for bankruptcy 15 stores closing

Hi,

just wanted to pass on this link, it's a neat read. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...on-stunning-demise-of-beacon-that-was-barneys

Kind regards,
Oliver
So, I have a few friends that work at (currently - not when they close permanently) Barneys NY, and one of the biggest questions that they had was ... where the heck were the celebrities showing support to NOT close Barneys???? I can tell you that pretty much every time I was either in the Madison or BH store, there were celebrities there. Not that any one of them could buy it, but quite a few shopped there .. so, they could put in some vocal/written support for not closing the business!

But, in regards to her SJP's statement that "I couldn't afford it" -- HA, are you kidding me???

They aren't the only mechandiser with either no new merchandise or having trouble pushing merchandise. Not going to name names, but I've see the same skirt on the same site for over three years now and trousers as well.
Agreed, I think being able to search the Internet .. especially when things have gone on sale has really impacted many of the retail stores. Only the true "fashionista" needs to have the item immediately when it comes out. I was like that in my 20's and 30's, but now .. I don't really care if the item was from last season or even last year! Plus, I NEVER pay full retail anymore - NEVER!

Agreed, I think being able to search the Internet .. especially when things have gone on sale has really impacted many of the retail stores. Only the true "fashionista" needs to have the item immediately when it comes out. I was like that in my 20's and 30's, but now .. I don't really care if the item was from last season or even last year! Plus, I NEVER pay full retail anymore - NEVER!
Thank you my thoughts exactly.

So, I have a few friends that work at (currently - not when they close permanently) Barneys NY, and one of the biggest questions that they had was ... where the heck were the celebrities showing support to NOT close Barneys???? I can tell you that pretty much every time I was either in the Madison or BH store, there were celebrities there. Not that any one of them could buy it, but quite a few shopped there .. so, they could put in some vocal/written support for not closing the business!

But, in regards to her SJP's statement that "I couldn't afford it" -- HA, are you kidding me???
Probably not, when you consider what it costs to maintain the look of a certain lifestyle. The more you spend the less you have even when you make loads of money. TBH, its gets a bit silly when one must purchase certain brands or as asked to push certain brands to support that brand or fashion house because they want to attract certain people. There are only so many places one can wear certain togs before it is a waste and hassle to store. SJP is in the same boat as many who made a fine income yet was likely advised to diversify to offset any hits to the longevity of her earning potential as a movie star, hence hawking her own line of shoes. Let's see who else was has diversified in fashion:

Gwen Stefani
Jessica Simpson
Kardashian/Jenners (sorry who is buying their products?)
Paris Hilton (not going to purchase your perfume)
Olsen Twins (actually not bad, the poplin thread count could be a bit higher)
Rhiana
Reese Witherspoon
Kate Hudson
Beyonce
Serena Williams
Victoria Beckham
Nicole Richie
Heidi Klum

Reactions: TIFFANI251
Last season maybe worked ohhh 15 years ago, not so much anymore as there is such a blend of fashion. Besides, Ebay along with Real Real, etc are undercutting retail stores and I know for myself, I tend to hang on to classics to drag out over and over.

Reactions: CeeJay
They aren't the only mechandiser with either no new merchandise or having trouble pushing merchandise. Not going to name names, but I've see the same skirt on the same site for over three years now and trousers as well.

Yes, I have noticed the same at other luxury retailers.

Def issues in retail, both online and in-store. And I dont buy the crap for one moment that "retail is dying due to internet sales". Retail is dying because people are broke and overburdened. Wages have not kept up with inflation! No one has money to shop, not to mention most folks are overextended with credit. The 1% dont spend, the working class do and they are broke, hence retail is suffering.

So sad, seems like the fat lady has sung folks!

Yes, I have noticed the same at other luxury retailers.

Def issues in retail, both online and in-store. And I dont buy the crap for one moment that "retail is dying due to internet sales". Retail is dying because people are broke and overburdened. Wages have not kept up with inflation! No one has money to shop, not to mention most folks are overextended with credit. The 1% dont spend, the working class do and they are broke, hence retail is suffering.

So sad, seems like the fat lady has sung folks!
:P:nuts::smartass: I agree with everything you've said AND I think even those who are millionaires are also over extended, it's a house of cards. TBH, we never recovered from the 2008/2009 recession, the quality of the fabric has not recovered since 2008/2009 yet prices have crept up. Much of the luxury is being pushed to 20 somethings with trust funds. The truly rich can get bespoke items we never see at Barney's or Neimans etc.

I've check the soles of some so-called luxury shoes only to see horrid glue jobs. I've walked by designer racks to notice nothing but mostly junk. I'm trying to be choosy where I spend my $$.

Last season maybe worked ohhh 15 years ago, not so much anymore as there is such a blend of fashion. Besides, Ebay along with Real Real, etc are undercutting retail stores and I know for myself, I tend to hang on to classics to drag out over and over.
I do the same.....I learned long ago to invest in the classic pieces; shoes, bags, coats you name it.
You really cant go wrong with this approach. When items start to wear your cobbler or tailor can make the stuff look new again in no time.

Reactions: Luv2Scoop
I do the same.....I learned long ago to invest in the classic pieces; shoes, bags, coats you name it.
You really cant go wrong with this approach. When items start to wear your cobbler or tailor can make the stuff look new again in no time.
Indeed, my cobblers and seamstress help me look decent. I rotate my shoes through the cobbler once the season is over or if there is substantial wear. To a degree, I can get away with clothing repairs, I sew. As for purses, I love the same two-three coach styles which I hunt on ebay. I'm loving totes surprisingly because I can carry my purse, mobile, spare shoes, camera etc in them, consolidate on trips. I've settled on Orla Kiely, though I need t stop buying bags/totes.

Reactions: TIFFANI251
Speaking of Barney's, has anyone checked TJ Maxx online, there seems to be Barney's merchandise there. I saw a pair of Loubs (not discounted well), Mason Pearson brushes and in-house Barney brand shoes/boots.

Am in SF, and never cared for the Barney's there. The stock was meh. It was hard to walk around the store - the layout was not conducive to shopping. Surprised they didn't close that one sooner.

Barney's went through a major upheaval 15 or so years ago. Don't know if there are many San Franciscans here. I used to shop at the long-closed discount store Jeremy's near South Park/ Jeremy was a former buyer at Barney's. He was either working with them or bought a lot of their inventory back then. I still have some HE pieces from Jeremy's which came from Barney's circa 2003.

Am in SF, and never cared for the Barney's there. The stock was meh. It was hard to walk around the store - the layout was not conducive to shopping. Surprised they didn't close that one sooner.

Barney's went through a major upheaval 15 or so years ago. Don't know if there are many San Franciscans here. I used to shop at the long-closed discount store Jeremy's near South Park/ Jeremy was a former buyer at Barney's. He was either working with them or bought a lot of their inventory back then. I still have some HE pieces from Jeremy's which came from Barney's circa 2003.
I initially shopped Barney's for Vincent Longo and Aesop. First Aesop was no long stocked then roughly 10 years ago Vincent Longo was no longer a staple, he sales direct and has great sales. The best foundation and blush I've every purchased. I noticed the last time I needed a Mason Pearson brush, they had to special order due to stocking issue and that was roughly two years ago.

That's so sad! I never bought anything there - only browsed. I was too young and broke and had to wear a uniform to school lol. As I got a little older, I shopped at Saks, Lord & Taylor or Bloomies - those cute undies! haha. When I got married, my MIL was a seamstress for Bergdorf's so she would get everything at bargain basement prices. That store would mark everything up, 500, 800% depending on what it was. She taught me never to pay retail.

Reactions: Luv2Scoop