~Ban Island~ Moral Support! ~Let’s Resist Temptation Together!~

Thank you and I would love to attempt this with you! I just posted on the 2019 bag resolution thread as well. My current collection is 7 H bags, 3 LV bags, one old Gucci and a non-designer straw bag for summer. Plus a beachy type bag and a leather backpack for travel, also non-designer. I think I realized that my biggest weakness is H shawls/scarves and shoes, so I’d like to add zero of those to my collection this year! I’m also interested in trying a wardrobe and shoe ban for the year too! I would really just like to enjoy what I have and rotate through my bags and shawls/scarves, and shoes as much as I can since my feet will continue to swell with the pregnancy. I foresee spending on the baby and nursery for the coming 4 months and then looking at a closet reno after that.

I think I can certainly do my best to avoid and just not visit the stores unless they have one of my SOs or a wishlist bag that has come in. That’s likely possible! Are you on a full ban or do you allow yourself some pre-planned excursions off the island?
Sorry, forgot to congratulate you on the pregnancy in my earlier message!! Big congratulations, Im sure baby/nursery shopping/researching will take up some time browsing H :happydance:

I feel you, just a quick tour around H store and all the small things add up! and my mental state also fails to reconcile the value between H currency and real currency...
I own 10 H bags, 2 Chanel bags, 2 Celine, 1 Gucci, and Im not gonna count the workhorse totes under $500 hahaha. Another biggest weakness of mine is Chanel jackets and cardigans, which is another crazily slippery slope.
Im similar to you in a sense that I feel both my H and Chanel collection is quite complete and we also trying to have baby next year - so I really need to stop buying expensive clothes :panic:
So...Im not on a full ban, I just want to enjoy my current collection and I feel now the number of bags and jackets are about right, and will only add what I truely like down the road, and I will enforce 1 in 1 out. Interestingly once I started having that mindset, I hasn't added another bag since my chevre mini K arrived in summer as I didnt see a bag I like more than the 10 bags in my H collection now. I know its not an awfully long time, but I definitely wasnt in that state earlier this year. I did buy and sell 1 Chanel jackets though. Maybe u can try that with Shawls and Shoes? I have a feeling you are still building your H bag collections so cut yourself some slack there haha, as its too hard to resist...:facepalm:

Last edited:
Sorry, forgot to congratulate you on the pregnancy in my earlier message!! Big congratulations, Im sure baby/nursery shopping/researching will take up some time browsing H :happydance:

I feel you, just a quick tour around H store and all the small things add up! and my mental state also fails to reconcile the value between H currency and real currency...
I own 10 H bags, 2 Chanel bags, 2 Celine, 1 Gucci, and Im not gonna count the workhorse totes under $500 hahaha. Another biggest weakness of mine is Chanel jackets and cardigans, which is another crazily slippery slope.
Im similar to you in a sense that I feel both my H and Chanel collection is quite complete and we also trying to have baby next year - so I really need to stop buying expensive clothes :panic:
So...Im not on a full ban, I just want to enjoy my current collection and I feel now the number of bags and jackets are about right, and will only add what I truely like down the road, and I will enforce 1 in 1 out. Interestingly once I started having that mindset, I hasn't added another bag since my chevre mini K arrived in summer as I didnt see a bag I like more than the 10 bags in my H collection now. I know its not an awfully long time, but I definitely wasnt in that state earlier this year. I did buy and sell 1 Chanel jackets though. Maybe u can try that with Shawls and Shoes? I have a feeling you are still building your H bag collections so cut yourself some slack there haha, as its too hard to resist...:facepalm:

Thank you dear! One in one out makes total sense! I think I’ll be on a wardrobe, shoe, and shawl/scarf ban until the baby comes, regardless of what I’m able to sell. I’ve always wanted a Chanel jacket for my collection, but alas... I always preferred that money to go towards my next H bag purchase! After the baby arrives I’ll consider one in and one out again for certain items.

So exciting that you’re thinking of having a baby at some point soon! I’ve heard from others that it really shifts your priorities so hopefully that will be the best distraction from H. I’m happy to be in this with another H lover! Would love to hear more about your collection sometime!

Reactions: pianolize
How is everyone doing here after the holiday and with post-holiday sales? I was in NYC over the holiday and I purchased some Dior drop earrings, a Hermes scarf (a full on winter scarf rather than a lighter printed shawl), and a Hermes Apple Watch strap. My H SA pulled some boots in for me that I will go check out on Wednesday, but I’ll be on my scarf and shoe ban at that point so I hope I don’t like them and/or they don’t fit! I had asked her not to order them in, after I tried on the smaller size which did not fit, but she had already done so.

I am now considering potential bags to offload from my collection and shifting my focus more to jewelry pieces that I can wear daily!

How is everyone doing here after the holiday and with post-holiday sales? I was in NYC over the holiday and I purchased some Dior drop earrings, a Hermes scarf (a full on winter scarf rather than a lighter printed shawl), and a Hermes Apple Watch strap. My H SA pulled some boots in for me that I will go check out on Wednesday, but I’ll be on my scarf and shoe ban at that point so I hope I don’t like them and/or they don’t fit! I had asked her not to order them in, after I tried on the smaller size which did not fit, but she had already done so.

I am now considering potential bags to offload from my collection and shifting my focus more to jewelry pieces that I can wear daily!
I’m doing the same. Hard pause on bags this year and instead getting some upgraded fine jewelry items.

Hi ladies. I’ve been here before but really struggle with a ban. This year I’ve added 5 Hermes bags (including an exotic) and 2 LV bags to my collection (I did sell 3 bags as well), and also quit my job to return to school full time and we’re expecting a baby next spring! I need to make a home on ban island, other than baby stuff, and stay here!! I have all the maternity clothes I could need, all the bags and H accessories I could ever use in a lifetime, and yet it is so hard to ignore the temptation. I have certain wishlist items with H and I don’t know what I’ll do when those show up. For now, I should really do a hard pause and stay on ban island until after the baby comes. Just about 4 months. I’ll look to you all for advice and moral support!

For some reason, I was pretty easily able to avoid buying luxury items in the sales and such starting around when I quit working. I only bought Target and Gap maternity clothes for the most part. But I have a very hard time when it comes to H. I get a bag offer and then there are other “small” items I want to purchase along with it. That is my big weakness.
Congratulations on the baby. I don't know if this is your first one. If it is, you are not going to believe how expensive it is to raise a child. So put that hard earned money back, gal, you are going to need it! If it is not your first one, ignore this message totally!!!

If you need to check yourself from a tendency to buy too many bags, and take a hiatus before your house fills up with purses to the brim, this is the place for you. Let’s gather here and support each other when the urge to buy a pretty purse gets realllllly strong, and we need to remind each other that we ALREADY HAVE SUCH NICE BAGS and the key to really getting the most purse pleasure in life is to enjoy the ones we have more, not just continue to acquire until we pass the threshold of what is reasonable according to our life situation.

Let’s keep it real! Let’s take a pause, let’s focus on enjoying our bags that we have ALREADY BOUGHT, and just cease the insanity of buying just for the temporary thrill and soon after getting obsessed with the next potential purchase.....because that is too darned distracting from enjoying our PRESENT collections and giving them their due attention.

Who’s with me?
I’m with you! I got the luxury bug when I hit age 50. I bought 6 bags this year. I’m not bragging. It’s a serious problem. I felt like I started lying to family on where and what price I acquired bags. It’s just not worth it. I’ve been totally honest now and I can’t buy bags for some time. I dont need them, but it’s Anazing how you can rationalize a purchase. Only one bag full price, rest great deals..... how I got stuck/rationalized about buying them. I’ve unfollowed all my temptations! Confessions of a purse addict here!!!!

Hi All-

I have to say, (as I've said before!) 'bans' don't serve me well psychologically, but I'm on a bag-need-awareness campaign for myself!! I'm thinking I *definitely* NEED to rid myself of those I don't love/carry (these are already sectioned off.. I just have to bite the bullet and force-rehome!!!:sad:); then perhaps I'll get to reassess the space I have for a sane closet handbag selection! Honestly though, I seem to not be able to resist things that I find which are both 1) COMPLETELY functionally 'handy' (just got a mesh shopping tote from Barney's Warehouse clearance & coupon, 2) A GREAT DEALDEAL $18!!!!!); (But I didn't 'NEED' both the black AND red...):shocked::-s.

For whatever reason, if something is this inexpensive, all reason goes out the window. Is that OK?! (I'll just eat stew or something to make up the $35 difference! :lol:) Seriously. $18!!!!!:whut::eek:

And one more thing- after summer amidst major catastrophe, I didn't shop for ANYTHING, really. I've been gift hunting lately and happened in upon aforementioned deals (and a new, completely unnecessary though gorgeous / unique bag discountsd... but not enough to feel completely sound about it, so it may go back. I have to also recognize the $/time difference it would be for me to just eat, vs have to stalk regularly until it gets further reduced somewhere/somehow. :confused1:)

Reactions: sophiegray
I am not exactly on a ban. I let go of a lot of my bags and I have only 3 Balenciaga, 2 Givenchy, and 1 Proenza left. And some (I think 3 love crossbody and three mini Macs) Rebecca Minkoff and 1 Marc Jacobs. I bought a Saint Laurent clutch but it hasn’t arrived yet since it was preorder and already I am losing interest - I probably don’t need a designer clutch since I’m in hoodie most of the time.

I have also saved up for a designer bag but now I don’t want anything enough to buy.

I have recently started working after graduating and I think it’s really hard to spend money you yourself earned. I keep calculating and telling myself, wow that bag is one/two/three weeks of work for me! Then I kinda lose interest.

At this point, I think I will admire some bags from afar. I don’t need to own everything I find pretty.

I am not exactly on a ban. I let go of a lot of my bags and I have only 3 Balenciaga, 2 Givenchy, and 1 Proenza left. And some (I think 3 love crossbody and three mini Macs) Rebecca Minkoff and 1 Marc Jacobs. I bought a Saint Laurent clutch but it hasn’t arrived yet since it was preorder and already I am losing interest - I probably don’t need a designer clutch since I’m in hoodie most of the time.

I have also saved up for a designer bag but now I don’t want anything enough to buy.

I have recently started working after graduating and I think it’s really hard to spend money you yourself earned. I keep calculating and telling myself, wow that bag is one/two/three weeks of work for me! Then I kinda lose interest.

At this point, I think I will admire some bags from afar. I don’t need to own everything I find pretty.

I totally agree with you. I don't need to own everything I find pretty.
I bought a lot of purses this year and I think it's enough. I have one Hermes purse , 2 Chanel purses , 2 Louis Vuitton purses , one Longchamp WOC and a huge Coach tote.

If you need to check yourself from a tendency to buy too many bags, and take a hiatus before your house fills up with purses to the brim, this is the place for you. Let’s gather here and support each other when the urge to buy a pretty purse gets realllllly strong, and we need to remind each other that we ALREADY HAVE SUCH NICE BAGS and the key to really getting the most purse pleasure in life is to enjoy the ones we have more, not just continue to acquire until we pass the threshold of what is reasonable according to our life situation.

Let’s keep it real! Let’s take a pause, let’s focus on enjoying our bags that we have ALREADY BOUGHT, and just cease the insanity of buying just for the temporary thrill and soon after getting obsessed with the next potential purchase.....because that is too darned distracting from enjoying our PRESENT collections and giving them their due attention.

Who’s with me?
I totally agree with you. I just got my favourite LV bag and a Hermes bag and a few wallet on chains and I shouldn't buy so many.

I am proud to be here to say that I did resist the temptation to buy a preloved LV Thompson Street in vernis bronze, even if it was pretty low priced and georgous. I have to shop second hand because of my budget and, since last December, I did buy 2 LV, one Kate Spade, one Coach, one Longchamp, one Fendi Pequin vintage and one Gucci vintage. I did put 2 bags from past purchases I was not using in consignment last week and thinking about getting rid of a few other ones. Anyway I was not sure about the Thompson because it's not possible to wear it crossbody and I was not sure about it's possibility to hold my everyday stuffs.
I am also trying to save money (50$ a month) since the beginning of 2020 to afford something bigger when It will show up. I am also attending an online web marketing training and have to pay for it and the Thompson would have cost 3 monthly payments after all... So ban island is a place where I should make an effort to stay, even if I have more money now than usual (but the rest of 2020 is incertain), and I did yesterday. Buying guiltyness is a feeling I should remember every time temptation is around. Who is with me?

I am proud to be here to say that I did resist the temptation to buy a preloved LV Thompson Street in vernis bronze, even if it was pretty low priced and georgous. I have to shop second hand because of my budget and, since last December, I did buy 2 LV, one Kate Spade, one Coach, one Longchamp, one Fendi Pequin vintage and one Gucci vintage. I did put 2 bags from past purchases I was not using in consignment last week and thinking about getting rid of a few other ones. Anyway I was not sure about the Thompson because it's not possible to wear it crossbody and I was not sure about it's possibility to hold my everyday stuffs.
I am also trying to save money (50$ a month) since the beginning of 2020 to afford something bigger when It will show up. I am also attending an online web marketing training and have to pay for it and the Thompson would have cost 3 monthly payments after all... So ban island is a place where I should make an effort to stay, even if I have more money now than usual (but the rest of 2020 is incertain), and I did yesterday. Buying guiltyness is a feeling I should remember every time temptation is around. Who is with me?
I am with you. I did buy 2 fabric bags yesterday but they are not expensive. Those are nicer shopping bags that can also be used as a tote.

I am with you. I did buy 2 fabric bags yesterday but they are not expensive. Those are nicer shopping bags that can also be used as a tote.
May i add that the Gucci was sell at 7$, Fendi 15$, Longchamp 35$, KS and Coach 40$ each, LV 260$ and 120$. That's the kind of prices i can afford. Alas, it does not stretch the space in my closet anyway. But I know i can resist very low prices too if I take the time To think before buying à good bag i find while thriftshopping.

Reactions: FRUGAL123
May i add that the Gucci was sell at 7$, Fendi 15$, Longchamp 35$, KS and Coach 40$ each, LV 260$ and 120$. That's the kind of prices i can afford. Alas, it does not stretch the space in my closet anyway. But I know i can resist very low prices too if I take the time To think before buying à good bag i find while thriftshopping.
You do have an extensive collection and I love Longchamp . My favorite brand. Enjoy your purses.

Reactions: Veroyoga