~Ban Island~ Moral Support! ~Let’s Resist Temptation Together!~

So not only I’m doing extremely well on ban island, I’ve even offloaded a few of my fairly new designer items?!? I did had my eyes on a black designer bag, but then stopped myself because I hardly carry black and do I really need another mini size??? Thank god I told my SO to stop encouraging me, he’s the reason why I made some of the impulse purchases in the past!

So not only I’m doing extremely well on ban island, I’ve even offloaded a few of my fairly new designer items?!? I did had my eyes on a black designer bag, but then stopped myself because I hardly carry black and do I really need another mini size??? Thank god I told my SO to stop encouraging me, he’s the reason why I made some of the impulse purchases in the past!

Haha, I say some blame is on my DBF too! He encouraged all my impulse and sale buys. It’s hard to change my mindset and his to stay on ban island.

How has he discouraged impulse buys? DBF needs some tips.

Haha, I say some blame is on my DBF too! He encouraged all my impulse and sale buys. It’s hard to change my mindset and his to stay on ban island.

How has he discouraged impulse buys? DBF needs some tips.

I told him to stop being the devil and let the little rational and emotional voices in my brain fight it out. I suspect he’s encouraging me to buy everything so he can get out the stores faster to get what he wants! Looks like the secret to stay on ban island is to control your partner first! Lol

I was in a similar situation as you and returned the shoes I purchased. (perfect Valentino’s 40% off) Two hours later I called the store & asked if they were still there. They were the last pair in the company when I returned them. I had a small panic attack after returning them (& felt like I had a mental problem!) But I didn’t care! I was relieved they were still available! After repurchasing the shoes, I am happy to have them but they they are not as great as I originally thought. I’ve also seen many amazing shoes & other finds since then. The guilt I felt for repurchasing them stopped me from making other purchases. Taking a time out from shopping is a process - it’s a learning experience and not easy to do. Especially now when everything is on sale. I am 100% absolutely not making any more purchases until Sept/Oct. Re-purchasing these shoes, and all the anxiety from going back on my word has shown me I don’t need all this stress.

I completely understand!! The stress is unreal which sounds so stupid. I think it’s because in our minds we know it’s trivial stress compared to real world stress but the price tag is so high and the return window so small that it really eats at you. I have been caught in the buy-return-regret cycle as well and it really is so stressful!

Congratulations on your restraint! Way to go!

mabye this is not the right forum for this kind of things but as I don´t have any other social mediaplattform I wanted to share this link with you as my heart just melted when I saw this dog..it´s hearbreaking for me as I love dogs so much and this dog is just so cute.. I was just thinking I´m spending so much of bags and there is this student who didn´t wait a second to save the dog regardless that she could be in financial trouble.. this story was even in our austrian newspapers and for the first time I donated some money through this plattform, just because I read this article and this story touched my heart.. so I hope this dog can be saved and she won´t be in financial troubles afterwards...I know there are other horrible things in life but when I think of my dog this would be a horror for me :sad:

https://www.gofundme.com/bulldog-fighting-for-her-life

Last edited:
Reactions: bakeacookie
Spent $100 over my shopping budget, which is relatively little but this is the first time I've gone over my budget so it was kind of a rude awakening for me! I hadn't even noticed - I think it was because July was my birthday month and I was carefree and spendy. That's also very unlike me not to keep track of my money; I usually obsessively log every purchase in an app and check my accounts every day and pay off my card as soon as I buy something, so I'm feeling a little shaken up that I don't know where that $100 went. :facepalm: :whut: :no:

Gonna try and sit back and not purchase anything in August, aim to be productive instead of online shop, get more wear out of everything I have, and not be tempted by the shoes I've been eyeing since May that just went 60% off… :panic::nuts:

I won’t be here for now because there’s something i’m eyeing but I think it’s good to have a place where we can have a stronger focus on fighting the shopping impulse. I’m subscribed to the MakeUpRehab subreddit and they have a useful feature called “Talk Me Out...”. I’ve copied the guidelines here for us to use here too. Keep in mind that on Ban Island, we are helping each other stay strong so there’s no enabling talk in here!

TMO stands for “Talk me out”: often used for situations where you feel tempted to purchase a specific item, but know you shouldn’t. TMO posts are useful when you need other fresh perspectives to look into your situation and assess whether this item is really something you need.

What should a TMO post include?

• Item: [Brand and Product Name (Please be specific; this is NOT for an entire collection/release or brand)]
  • Price/Budget:
  • Why do you want this specific item?:
  • What comparable items do you have in your collection?:
  • Have you tested it out in person?:
  • What is making you pause/create a TMO in the first place?:

5007C84F-EA19-4EEF-B711-CC7DBF18E071.png

The Kooples Emily—exactly as pictured here.

Shouldn’t be buying anything right now. Have student loans, vacation coming up in October, and just bought a fairly pricey bag I shouldn’t have (see below). I have been lusting after this bag from a leather artisan for probably 6-9 months now and it’s finally mine. I found a used one like new for a decent discount off retail in a leather group I’m in on Facebook.
592E7478-45A8-4ADD-9293-C80D499E352D.jpeg 97A70C7A-5889-47FC-9257-7F795F62542E.jpeg
2BB093F5-6F0D-456B-9FDE-1B42BCBD1464.jpeg DB28431B-70A9-4C2B-9F35-F52A75065FC0.jpeg
I’m a young lawyer just starting out in my career. I’m from a working class background so it’s nice to be able to have these finer things in life. Don’t think I’d ever be able to spend $2,000 on a bag like many here on TPF, but I have a nice collection of mostly sub-$200 bags in timeless silhouettes and neutral colors that I intend to keep for a long time.

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...nd-practical-collection-by-diva_k3000.990749/

Black, as you may have noticed, is very overrepresented in my collection and when I saw this bag I thought how much nicer it would look for work with my black suits and/or dresses instead of my usual black on black.

View attachment 4152817

The Kooples Emily—exactly as pictured here.

Shouldn’t be buying anything right now. Have student loans, vacation coming up in October, and just bought a fairly pricey bag I shouldn’t have (see below). I have been lusting after this bag from a leather artisan for probably 6-9 months now and it’s finally mine. I found a used one like new for a decent discount off retail in a leather group I’m in on Facebook.
View attachment 4152828 View attachment 4152829
View attachment 4152830 View attachment 4152832
I’m a young lawyer just starting out in my career. I’m from a working class background so it’s nice to be able to have these finer things in life. Don’t think I’d ever be able to spend $2,000 on a bag like many here on TPF, but I have a nice collection of mostly sub-$200 bags in timeless silhouettes and neutral colors that I intend to keep for a long time.

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...nd-practical-collection-by-diva_k3000.990749/

Black, as you may have noticed, is very overrepresented in my collection and when I saw this bag I thought how much nicer it would look for work with my black suits and/or dresses instead of my usual black on black.

Try to stay strong and remember paying off your debts, etc is more important than a green purse and you can always get one later.

Reactions: Diva_k3000