Bags vs Income

Chanel is for everyone. If you can afford it and not get yourself in ridiculous debt, why not use Chanel? I'm 22, not a millionaire, and an engineer. There is no reason for me to wear Chanel suits or glamorous Chanel clothing in my life. I may not have enough money to buy a nice car yet (my car is American and is 7 yrs old) but I will get my Porsche someday. :shame: Just not in my 20s (maybe late 20s). SO, I guess in YOUR terms, I'm "POOR" because I don't have those items. When I'm absolutely not. :shrugs:

So what is left? Beautiful Chanel bags (often discreetly Chanel) that are within my reach. Image may have something to do with it, I admit, but it makes me happy. :yes: When image is everything, just go visit the LV or better yet, the Hermes forum.

Your last sentence is slightly offensive to me. I love LV and its not for the 'image'. They have lines such as the Epi line that is very subtle...it is not all logos!

As far as Hermes is concerned, they are very simple and sophisticated...

I guess I just don't understand why you would make such a comment:shrugs:

<agrees with PENNY! and i drive a Lexus too LOL
anyway, i love It bags, status bags, and its not about how well its made...or i would buy Coach :yucky: (after all, their bags are hardy and the leather is good) It also does depend on where you live, in Boca Raton where i live, or in Beverly Hills where i spent alot of years, it is alot about image.............in "mentally healthier" towns, its about durability .....BUT, i wear $20 "diamond" studs...and Gap jeans ($48). i am a bag and shoe snob, but at least admit it LOL :yahoo: American women seem to have a thing for shoes and bags

by the way, your English is lovely and perfectly understandable

I totally agree. I live in NYC and my group of friends are all from the same financial backgroud. Sad to say, that sometimes it is all about image. I can't lie ... I love being complemented by my peers. I think alot has to do with the social surroundings too. I tend to use my nicer accessories when I know I will be going to a trendier or pricier place.

Don't get me wrong, I also like LV and Hermes. But when it comes to those brands, how can you NOT say that the reason behind buying the monograms or the birkin shape is not to portray a certain image.
For instance: a Hermes Birkin, the price range is $7,000-$40,000 for ONE bag???! At the end of the day, it's JUST a bag! Most of the $7,000 you spent for that Birkin IS indeed for the image! Not all, but certainly most! Haute couture brands like Chanel, LV, and Hermes spend Millions and millions of ad campaigns to portray that image. They're reaping astronomical profit margins because of this IMAGE.

I didn't intend to offend anyone. Nor did I intend to be harsh. But come on, just be real! The reason why we spend $2,000 for Chanel is partly because of image, just like what the Hermes ladies want, too. That very image makes us all happy (and guilty for spending that much).

Please, this is all in good fun. What's wrong with some little observation and analysis of our own behaviors? Believe me, I often QUESTION myself why I do this? I do this because it makes me happy, artificially happy, but happy nonetheless.

Your last sentence is slightly offensive to me. I love LV and its not for the 'image'. They have lines such as the Epi line that is very subtle...it is not all logos!

As far as Hermes is concerned, they are very simple and sophisticated...

I guess I just don't understand why you would make such a comment:shrugs:

For instance: a Hermes Birkin, the price range is $7,000-$40,000 for ONE bag???! At the end of the day, it's JUST a bag! Most of the $7,000 you spent for that Birkin IS indeed for the image! Not all, but certainly most! Haute couture brands like Chanel, LV, and Hermes spend Millions and millions of ad campaigns to portray that image. They're reaping astronomical profit margins because of this IMAGE.

I don't see it as "just a bag." I see it like a hobby. Everyone has a hobby they are into.....people play golf and spend thousands per year on that hobby. People have a hobby of traveling and spend thousands on that. Some people collect jewelry or antique cars. Hobbies can range from exercising at the gym to buying gorgeous handbags, to going to the movies every night. So what is your hobby? Mine is collecting gorgeous bags!! That is how I justify my purchases. To each his own!

I don't see it as "just a bag." I see it like a hobby. Everyone has a hobby they are into.....people play golf and spend thousands per year on that hobby. People have a hobby of traveling and spend thousands on that. Some people collect jewelry or antique cars. Hobbies can range from exercising at the gym to buying gorgeous handbags, to going to the movies every night. So what is your hobby? Mine is collecting gorgeous bags!! That is how I justify my purchases. To each his own!

^Exactly, Sappho! :yes:

Don't get me wrong, I also like LV and Hermes. But when it comes to those brands, how can you NOT say that the reason behind buying the monograms or the birkin shape is not to portray a certain image.

I didn't intend to offend anyone. Nor did I intend to be harsh. But come on, just be real! The reason why we spend $2,000 for Chanel is partly because of image, just like what the Hermes ladies want, too. That very image makes us all happy (and guilty for spending that much).

Please, this is all in good fun. What's wrong with some little observation and analysis of our own behaviors? Believe me, I often QUESTION myself why I do this? I do this because it makes me happy, artificially happy, but happy nonetheless.

I am 'being real', as you put it. I don't buy my handbags to portray any type of image. I have ONE LV monogram bag...the others are Epi and Damier, which are very subtle.

There is nothing wrong with some 'little observations and analysis of our own behaviors'. However, I do think that it is wrong to make such a blanket statement and assume that everyone feels that way...:idea:

The reason that I spend more $$ on higher end bags is because of the quality, not to impress others with my high socioeconomic standing!

My bags will last years and years...I look at them as an investment.

I am actually a little self-conscious when I carry my Chanels because I am the only one in my circle with a bag even remotely that expensive. I buy them because they make me happy (albeit in a superficial way, to many people), but I find I am tempted to make up that I got it on a sale or otherwise downplay its expense to others because it is so lavish.

What an interesting topic. I don't think that wanting/purchasing a luxurious Chanel (or other designer) handbag equates to wanting to look "wealthy" or however you want to put it. I have a rather comfortable income (by my standards at least ;) ,sensible savings, etc...and although I'm certainly not rich by any millionaire standards, I still can afford a few indulgences here and there and see no reason to not indulge. Now, if I didn't have a herd of beloved horses :love: :heart: to feed, I might be rich! LOL :smile: j/k

Oh, a fellow horse person, Couturegrl, how nice! And yes, absolutely they are worth every penny!:love: And you can relate to the expense of feed, vet bills, and so forth. Ah, but a life without horses, I simply couldn't imagine it.

Belinda

I never let a bag or anything designer define who I am. I am much more than what I wear and I certainly don't want people to think highly of me because of the bag I'm carrying, but rather for the person I am inside. I never wear or buy something for the image it portrays. I happen to love designer bags - the look, the material, craftsmanship and quality. It's also my interest, addiction, obsession and hobby. I buy designer bags because it makes ME feel good. I don't do it for anyone else. Actually, most of my family and friends think it's crazy to spend this much on a bag, but to each his own. They have their interests and I have mine. I say, if it makes YOU happy and you can afford it, why not?

Greatbag84, this is a very interesting thread. I would like to inquire what kinds of bags do ladies in their 20's and 30's wear in France? You said it was unusual to wear Chanel, is it unusual to wear LV too? Is this in Paris or other parts of France? Thanks.