Bags vs Income

You girls are all making good points!:jammin:

Besides, buying the designers' bags actually is another way to save money. :roflmfao: Think, you buy tons of cheap bags and get fed up very soon, which is kind a way to waste money:P . Why not to get a classic one that you can use forever. Also, the price of the designer bags are always go up, it might be better way to keep value than your jewelery does. :graucho: :P

This is a great and worthwhile topic, in my opinion. It's something I've often thought about as well because I have the same experience of France as the original poster (though obviously, I'm not a native!). As another poster said, in the U.S., we take fashion less seriously: I don't think most people see a designer bag as an accurate indication of anyone's socioeconomic status in and of itself. Most people probably realize young girls carrying designer bags are also working girls who like to have fun with style and enjoy luxury items.

In the US, I think it also depends on where you live ... in more metropolitan areas you will obviously see more luxury goods as opposed to more rural areas. I would expect this is true for all countries.

welp, i'm in my 30's & never owned a $1K handbag 'till last year...my 1st was a b-bag & what i love about those is that not everyone knows what they are :tender:...sometimes i get really embarrassed when people know which brand i'm carrying :shame:...i never thought i was a chanel girl 'till recently, but i've come to realize that chanel can both fun & classy (it's all about your attitude)...but i'd never buy something because i thought it was a "status symbol"...i just happen to love designer handbags & would rather have them than expensive clothes, shoes, etc...i don't know why they make me so happy, they just do!!! :love:

Hmmm...Thoughtful post....I think it's different for everyone....In my case I grew up at a different time when girls were girls and boys were boys....Lots of family dinners...We didn't have a lot but my parents tried the best they could...When we had to dress up it was very very important to look your best...Good shoes for church, socks with lace...Sometimes a hat and a ribbon..My favorite thing to do when I was growing up was playing in my grandmother's and Aunt's closets...They'd let me try on clothes and shoes and hats..they's show me their handbags and give me the 'low-down' on every item....it did not take me long at all to figure out that these women had very, very, special things that they cherished and loved....Hence...years later..I am a a shoe fanatic, purse addict, clothes-hound queen... Yes I can afford nice things, but I don't buy them to buy myself a higher 'place' in society....Most of my friends have NO IDEA I am carrying an expensive designer handbag and I don't offer the info either....I just happen to love fashion and nice things..and the workmanship & quality of a beautiful handbag...It brings back fond memories and brings a smile to my face to know that my grandma/aunts would appreciate my collection and good taste that they bestowed on me......OK..off to the dentist!! :heart: Emmy

Exactly how i feel, only it is my mother and her best friend who taught me about style.

Income = spending + saving.
As long as you do save up some dollars at the end of the month, you are safe.
Chanel bags are new to me too. (I'm waiting for my navy patent jumbo to arrive =D) I think they're timeless... Few years down the road, when you look at the chanel bag again, they're still your baby. Unlike say - the Chloe Paddington bag - I am very sick of it. it's at the bottom of my closet now.
My aunt bought a Chanel 15 year ago. Simple classic black leather (large size) with gold hardware. She has NEVER used it .. just keep it as a collection. I saw that piece and i was like - damn!!!! it looks sooooo new! Even the gold hardware, it does not age a bit. I'll try to get some pictures soon...

Enjoy!

I think there is a fair proportion of people who belong to the fashion category as well as the social judgement category and its probably the case in most countries. It really depends on factors like the area you live in, the circle of friends you mix with, family situations as well as a lifestyle choice. :yes:

For me I am just plainly addicted to certain brands of bags and shoes and i get a high just looking and owning these pieces. Its quite freaky but its the truth. I have a bag and shoe illness. :P So long as I do not go beyond my means, I am happy to be down with this illness. :lol:

Also, the price of the designer bags are always go up, it might be better way to keep value than your jewelery does. :graucho: :P
Actually, I kind of doubt it. I have sold some of my old, designer bags and vintage, designer jewelry on eBay, and I find that gold or silver designer jewelry holds its value much better. Metals (gold, etc) don't show the same wear as leather, even unused leather.

This is a great topic! I don't have much of a desire to buy an expensive car but I have always loved an expensive bag. It is very comforting to hold, for some reason.

By the way, I find that young women look incredibly cool with their classic Chanel bags worn with jeans and a T.

i think it's more of fashion in USA, and more of social judgements in Asian country, base on personal experience, it's very rare for young ladies carry Chanel in Asia except Japan. I also drive an average car-Honda Accord, and wear casual clothes w/ Chanel or LV, for those pp who don't know me well, they either assume the bags are fake and i am trying to create a high image, but i learn not to take let those comments bother me. Chanel and LV has been my passion, and will continue to be, it's just who i am. Everyone has a passion for a certin thing, ours just happen to be handbags :smile:

Totally agree with this comment having lived in Asia the past two years - there it is a total social thing ...in Hong Kong - good lord you should see how having a Chanel gets you so much recognition and respect ...

I have loved Chanel since I first saw the quilted classic bags when I was very young - to me it is a total fashion thing, not a "I must have an it bag" thing...

But when in HK I would carry a Chanel or an LV - people immediately assumed I was rich - and that is not the case at all ... here in the US my friends think I am nuts to spend that kind of money on a bag - but they know it is my personal preference and not a reflection of my social status or income. I would much rather have waited the 20 plus years it took for me to afford one than buy fakes or buy cheaper lines like Coach that never really appealed to me ..