Bags that are "you" and bags that are NOT "you"

I seem to go for function first, so I'm usually a tote or crossbody girl. I appreciate a hand-carry bag and don't mind them at all, but because I don't change out my bags daily, they get less use.

My favorites are designer bags that are classics and are pretty subtle in their branding. For instance, Hermes Garden Party and Celine Cabas Phantom are two bags that I own and love for their minimalism and discreet, almost lack-of-a logo. On the lower end, I like MZ Wallace totes for the same reasons. In all these cases, they'll be recognized by people who are into bags but I don't feel like I'm a screaming advertisement for whatever brand I'm carrying. On the other hand, I don't mind logo'd bags if they have a classic and/or a vintage aesthetic. I just got a Gucci Ophidia bag, for example, because it looked so old-school. I also like some LV for the same reason.

I also love bags with a ladylike or preppy aesthetic. I'd love a Gucci Sylvie bag or a Mark Cross rattan bag, for instance, but I can't bring myself to spend so much for what are essentially novelty bags.

Last edited:
What I am:
I love contemporary minimalistic bags:
A bit of Danse Lente, a dash of Strathberry and a generous scoop of Philo era Céline.
On top of that I always have a Proenza Schouler PS1 in my collection. I find them to be practical and sturdy.

I want to be:
A Chanel kinda lady.
Honestly they make me feel like an irresponsible teen who “borrowed” my moms purse.
I’m not really ready to be that classy yet

What I am not:
Gucci. I know, Gucci is on fire right now, but damn I find most of it straight up tacky. The world disagrees, but I’m sticking to my minimalistic guns.

LV:
I don’t mind it on others, but it would just look off on me.

Hermes:
I’m somewhat grateful that I’m not an H kinda lady. I get angst just from listening to people worrying about keeping a good relationship with an SA.

Not me,
Structured, small, classy, anything lady like.
I love nice leather, big bags with some edge. Great leather is key, like older Linea Pelle and Kooba.
Well I have changed. I now like more simple bags, with some structure, and some class. Great leather is still very important as always in my opinion.

Reactions: ivdw
what I AM:
Balenciaga (no logo, soft, unstructured puddle of gorgeouse leather)
BV (no logo, fabulous craftsmanship and timeless hobos!!)
Mulberry (the Tree and gorgeous leather is a must)
no/minimal/silver hardware, decent capacity and comfortable handles, please

what I AM NOT:
LV (just can't stand feel of canvas and logos all over the place!)
Hermes (too structured and "hello from my Grandma" styles)
Chanel (too structured boxy bags and annoying chains) i had 3 at some point of time and sold all
Prada (too much of gold hw and logo is too big for my liking), had a few, sold almost all
Gucci (mono, canvas, too much of everything...), had 2, sold both
anything that has multiple, or big logo, canvas, rigid, patent, or saffiano leather, tiny size and/or tiny handles, fussy closures - all is a big NO

I am
Structured medium to large bag
Handles PLUS adjustable shoulder strap

I am not
Crossbody bags, although I am trying to train myself to use them
Hobo bags. No puddly bags for me, please
No teeny tiny bags. My checkbook wallet has to fill lengthwise easily inside
No shiny fabric bags for me. I’m not opposed to fabric, just shiny :smile:

By the time I turned 29, after many missteps, I finally realized what's "me" and "not me" when it comes to bags.

Me: In terms of style, I only buy bags now with silver hardware, black or beige leather, and that are fairly subtle in terms or logos.

I would say I'm probably a Chanel person since that tends to be the designer I look at first when looking for a new bag and because I really like shoulder style flap bags. Because of Chanel price points, this means that I generally will not purchase a new bag unless it's been on my wishlist for at least 6 months and I've actively wanted it that entire time. I want to ensure that every bag I purchase is intentional and thoughtful because it's annoying to have to sell ones I don't use. I also like keeping the number of bags in my closet (including clutches) to 10 or less to ensure that they are all used.

Not me: In terms of style, I've learned to stay away from top handle bags (even those with optional shoulder straps), colors that aren't neutral, anything with visible gold hardware, saffiano leather, and any non-leather bags (the exception to this is my black Lo & Sons OG for work). I am also not a Prada person since I had such a horrible experience with their bags and the quality was horrendous.

Once I learned what was "me", the hardest thing was to stick with the hardware color. I just don't wear gold, but there have been some bags I've loved (and stayed away from) because they had gold hardware. The other hard thing is now realizing that I don't carry the bags in my closet that aren't me and parting with them (LV epi Alma PM, LV monogram Neverfull GM, monogram Speedy 30, and my first Chanel WOC with champagne gold hardware). Typing this out, I'm realizing that most of the bags I need to part with are Louis Vuitton so maybe I'm not really a Louis Vuitton person like I thought I once was.

I have learned that I like structured bags, approx 11” wide with a slim depth and top handles.

However I do own bags that are shoulder carry and flap bags but I only keep them because they were HG or not worth selling (Céline).

Shoulder bags won’t stay on my shoulders, flap bags I find irritating and fidly to get into, large hobo’s have me shuffling inside for ages to find things and mini bags annoy me when I have to decide what I can’t take, even if I don’t need it. Gold hardware isn’t me either. Again I do own these bags but that was before I learned what suits me.

Reactions: Bagatha Christie
I must be schizo! Love them all!
I love a good bucket bag, love a flap with a shoulder strap, a hobo that puddles has its place too. Totes are a great option on some days as well. Structured lady-like bag? Bring it on too! The only thing that would make me say “no thanks” would be the LV coated canvas or the Gucci logo.

Last edited:
Have loved reading this thread!

Bags that are not me:
- Lady Dior’s
- Anything from the Valentino rockstud line
- Jumbo sized Chanel flaps or large Chanel boy bags
- Birkins or Kelly’s
- Overly structured bags
- Bottega Veneta
- Bags in bright primary colours (although I do appreciate a beautiful bright red leather on other people)
- Bags accessorised with twillys

Bags that are me:
- Soft leather, slouchy leather, pebbled leather
- LV canvas, although specifically Speedys, Neverfulls and SLGs. (I’m a bit of an LV snob though, in that for me it comes down to a person’s overall style to a degree - I think LV can look incredibly awesome or incredibly offputting depending on what it’s worn with and how it’s worn).
- Alexander Wang Rockies and Diego’s (although it seems they are completely dying out!)
- Celine Phoebe Philo bags (particularly Trio and Box... currently waiting on my blade to arrive!!)
- Gucci Marmont / Dionysus lines, although not the overly embellished ones, just the basics. The trendiness of the Marmont line isn’t enough to put me off them - I just think they are such striking bags!
- Black, tan, khaki, grey, nude or blush pink bags
- Givenchy Pandora
- Mini/small/medium Chanel flaps and small Boy bags
- YSL black evening bags
- Coach saddle bag 23
- Crossbody bags with chains
- Totes
- Camera bags
- Interesting hardware
- Balenciaga City bags, although I’m yet to own one myself, so not sure I can pull them off!
- Fendi

Have loved reading this thread!

Bags that are not me:
- Lady Dior’s
- Anything from the Valentino rockstud line
- Jumbo sized Chanel flaps or large Chanel boy bags
- Birkins or Kelly’s
- Overly structured bags
- Bottega Veneta
- Bags in bright primary colours (although I do appreciate a beautiful bright red leather on other people)
- Bags accessorised with twillys

Bags that are me:
- Soft leather, slouchy leather, pebbled leather
- LV canvas, although specifically Speedys, Neverfulls and SLGs. (I’m a bit of an LV snob though, in that for me it comes down to a person’s overall style to a degree - I think LV can look incredibly awesome or incredibly offputting depending on what it’s worn with and how it’s worn).
- Alexander Wang Rockies and Diego’s (although it seems they are completely dying out!)
- Celine Phoebe Philo bags (particularly Trio and Box... currently waiting on my blade to arrive!!)
- Gucci Marmont / Dionysus lines, although not the overly embellished ones, just the basics. The trendiness of the Marmont line isn’t enough to put me off them - I just think they are such striking bags!
- Black, tan, khaki, grey, nude or blush pink bags
- Givenchy Pandora
- Mini/small/medium Chanel flaps and small Boy bags
- YSL black evening bags
- Coach saddle bag 23
- Crossbody bags with chains
- Totes
- Camera bags
- Interesting hardware
- Balenciaga City bags, although I’m yet to own one myself, so not sure I can pull them off!
- Fendi
You've dismissed the entire brand, Bottega Veneta. Did you know that besides the woven leather, they also make soft slouchy pebbled leather bags made of cervo? Google Bottega Veneta baseball hobo or loop.

You've dismissed the entire brand, Bottega Veneta. Did you know that besides the woven leather, they also make soft slouchy pebbled leather bags made of cervo? Google Bottega Veneta baseball hobo or loop.

I’ve just never come across a Bottega Veneta bag that’s grabbed my attention before and I guess you’re right regarding the woven leather - that tends to be more what they’re known for and I’m not a fan.
But thanks for the suggestions, I’ll check them out! :smile:

Reactions: whateve
I’ve just never come across a Bottega Veneta bag that’s grabbed my attention before and I guess you’re right regarding the woven leather - that tends to be more what they’re known for and I’m not a fan.
But thanks for the suggestions, I’ll check them out! :smile:
i just leave this here and see myself off :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_20180901_1630109.jpg
    IMG_20180901_1630109.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_20180901_1633296.jpg
    IMG_20180901_1633296.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 356