At what point would you consider the reseller route?

In our country, you need to build a profile 1st and when you reach their quota, they can offer you a bag. Afterwards, if you continue to be an active client, you can get a bag every 6 months. But then, our boutique only gets a small allocation of B/K/C so I guess if you're flexibe with colors/leather/hardware then you can get a bag minimum 1- 2 months :smile:
With that, I dont think I need to go to the reseller route to satisfy my cravings anytime soon!

Used to be like that in my home store and I'm glad I bought a b or k every 6 months then. Nowadays they just force you to buy lots of other things to 'go with' a b or k. I'm seriously considering going the reseller route now as I have only one or two bags on my wish list to complete my collection [emoji15]

In our country, you need to build a profile 1st and when you reach their quota, they can offer you a bag. Afterwards, if you continue to be an active client, you can get a bag every 6 months. But then, our boutique only gets a small allocation of B/K/C so I guess if you're flexibe with colors/leather/hardware then you can get a bag minimum 1- 2 months :smile:
With that, I dont think I need to go to the reseller route to satisfy my cravings anytime soon!

What country do you live in?

Yes! If there are any calgarians that would like to add to this topic and share their experience with our local Hermes boutique. I'd love to hear it

There is a Calgary store thread in the shopping section, if you would like to contribute there, so that this thread can get back to topic. Thanks.

I don't think relationship building has to equal spending money. It's too bad my H boutiques aren't closer to me because I would love to stop in more frequently just to say hi, chit chat, and look at new items even if I don't intend to buy. I don't think this is leading them on.

I guess I've been very lucky because my local SA's (I live between 2 boutiques, so I have a SA at each one) offered me a B and K without me spending $ on other items first. I think they know my DH and I have an appreciation for H and we're interested in items other than the most popular H items. Same with my SA in France.

DH and I are always kind to the staff in the stores, even friendly with security! I don't hesitate to refer my SA's to people since they've been so kind to me. Loyalty is everything to me, so I can't imagine going the reseller route. I don't believe in buying things you don't want just because you want a bag. Everything I've bought has been something I wanted- never with the expectation of being offered a bag. When my SA offers me something that I don't want, I let her know it's lovely but I'd rather wait for "x" item. None of my SA's have ever seemed upset over that, and I've continued to receive nice offers from them.

Most recently, my SA secured another rodeo horse charm for me. I believe it's because I kindly mentioned that I wanted additional colors, and I wasn't afraid to follow up with her to give her a reminder. In no way was I ever pushy or demanding though. I think SA's appreciate when customers are patient and understanding. When I brought in my smelly B, I made it very clear that there's no reason to feel bad or rush- I understand that mistakes happen. After all, I waited a couple decades to get a B, a few months won't kill me.

Disappointment comes when you have expectations of receiving something exactly when you want it. Eliminate the expectation, and you'll be able to enjoy your purchases a lot more instead of having buyer's remorse or feeling like you wasted so much time, $, etc. If you can't look at things that way, then perhaps the reseller route and instant gratification is more for you.

For me, I like being loyal to my SA's...I even oftentimes feel guilty about having multiple SA's at various stores!

Gosh I agree with everything and just have to add that my bags from resellers are vintage and I have purchased one or two preloved from owners I actually know. Going in to browse is fine and I sometimes leave empty handed only because the items I tried do not suit. If I don't intend to shop at all, I personally rather not pop by because my stores are generally very, very busy.

Reactions: chicinthecity777
I honestly feel that in some countries, it is very difficult not to go the reseller route if you are looking for a specific bag and don't have enough money to become a VIP. say Hong Kong...it is hard if you want a specific highly desired seasonal color or limited edition style. so reseller route would be easier and cheaper than buying lots and lots of items... These days reseller prices are actually not that expensive since I think they are getting a lot of bags from Europe (which is much cheaper than local store). and so the actual price the resellers charge compared to the local store is not that different anymore. well worth it if you don't have a lot of other items you wanted to buy from H and you are looking for that specific bag.

With resellers, you are actually shopping for a bag. With H...you are shopping in the hopes you will get offered a bag you might like... I do understand why it would turn people off from H.

I honestly feel that in some countries, it is very difficult not to go the reseller route if you are looking for a specific bag and don't have enough money to become a VIP. say Hong Kong...it is hard if you want a specific highly desired seasonal color or limited edition style. so reseller route would be easier and cheaper than buying lots and lots of items... These days reseller prices are actually not that expensive since I think they are getting a lot of bags from Europe (which is much cheaper than local store). and so the actual price the resellers charge compared to the local store is not that different anymore. well worth it if you don't have a lot of other items you wanted to buy from H and you are looking for that specific bag.

With resellers, you are actually shopping for a bag. With H...you are shopping in the hopes you will get offered a bag you might like... I do understand why it would turn people off from H.
I completely agree with this fineprint. I have seen great deals on B/K recently.

I think there are minimum 3 types of shoppers maybe should consider the reseller route.

For examples, if you are......
1) only Interested in getting the K or B and nothing else from the brand.
2) after specific style, color or type of leather but lack of patience of waiting.
3) after certain "vintage" or "retired" colors/combo or simply don't want to spend the retail $ or above retail $ on newer / excellent condition bags.

Reactions: Hermes Only
I think there are minimum 3 types of shoppers maybe should consider the reseller route.

For examples, if you are......
1) only Interested in getting the K or B and nothing else from the brand.
2) after specific style, color or type of leather but lack of patience of waiting.
3) after certain "vintage" or "retired" colors/combo or simply don't want to spend the retail $ or above retail $ on newer / excellent condition bags.

Couldn't agree more. Bad experience at H shop also turns some to resellers instead.
Luckily, I love H stuff which is not restricted to bags, and I got a wonderful SA whom I actually met and knew by chance. I still stick to shopping in H shop instead. Besides, I would rather spend the premium on top of the original price of B/K/C on various pretty H accessories. [emoji4]

Reactions: tonkamama
Couldn't agree more. Bad experience at H shop also turns some to resellers instead.
Luckily, I love H stuff which is not restricted to bags, and I got a wonderful SA whom I actually met and knew by chance. I still stick to shopping in H shop instead. Besides, I would rather spend the premium on top of the original price of B/K/C on various pretty H accessories. [emoji4]
Exactly! Lots of other things to love and spend money on :smile:

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I was wondering at what point would you actually just go to reseller market? I am sure I am not the only one here that feels this way, that the H game can get very frustrating. I started learning about the wonderful world of Hermes a little over a year ago, and had started establishing a relationship with a nice SA at a local store. As a matter of fact, he happened to offer me a B after shopping with him a couple of times, but it wasn't in the color I wanted, so I let it go. My first choice was purple and 2nd pink. So during my honeymoon last year, I scored a beautiful B 30 PHW in pink at Paris with the help of my hubby. I was over the moon, and I thought this should hold me over for the next 10 years, but I am sure many knows it will never end with just One! I was doing well until I saw the beautiful anemone leather swatch at the store,my DH and I knew I will not be 100% happy until I find my purple bag. I continued to buy small things with my SA, and although I never made a big purchase, he was always very friendly and one time we chatted for almost 2 hrs at the store. I would gently remind him about the purple B each time I visited and even referred a couple friends to shop with him. Each time he promised to call but never happened. So come 2014, I tried to curb my spending so I stopped going to the store for a few months, and when I stopped by a couple of weeks ago, I was told my SA had quit the week before. I was pretty upset since he didn't bother to let me know, that all my work had gone down the drain. Maybe I didn't spend enough (since I don't buy things just to fill the quota, I only bought things I would enjoy), but when I started adding up the money I have spent at all H stores in the US (not including the purchases in Paris), I had already racked up enough to buy a K. Then I got a call from a new SA a wk after that visit that my SA had told her (before he left) to call me because he thought I wanted a purple CDC. I told her no since I had already gotta 2 anemone bracelets. So basically I was only worth a CDC at the end of the day. I know some ppl will think I should feel fortunate that I was even offered a B to begin with, and maybe that's true, but I m not willing to compromise on something that is a big splurge for me. Maybe I live in a city with a ton of competitions and perhaps I needed to show my face more often, or maybe I was far from reaching that level where you will actually get a call from your SA. But I wondered, should one still stay loyal to a boutique when you can just use what you have to spend on racking up those brownie points toward exactly the bag you want without all the drama at the reseller market?

sounds exactly (and I mean literally exactly!) like my experiences with my Hermès store. Last time I stood in the boutique and even the guardman realized that I was going to explode within seconds. That was the moment I decided to do internetshopping for the next time and look for another store to pop in on a very (VERY!) random basis. I'm done with physical shopping.

Perhaps it is because I'm fairly new to the world of Hermés, or that there is about one Hermés store in all of Norway, but I would never shop at Hermés with the sole intention of building a relationship with a SA in order to being offered a bag. I see no issues in buying from a reseller; both bags scarves, Bracelets etc are easy to come by and often in perfect condition. Prices are much lower than they are in the Hermés shop. This just gives you more money to spend on other things! This week alone there are two Birkins and one Kelly for sale here, genuine and in perfect condition. So getting one isn't the hard part. Paying for it is a whole other issue. Personally I feel it's a bit much to spend $ 8 -12 000 on a bag, but if I was to spend this amount I wouldn't hesitate to get the bag for $ 8000 from a reseller rather than to spend alot on other items over a long periode of time and then add another $ 11000 on top of that. That's just me:smile:

Perhaps it is because I'm fairly new to the world of Hermés, or that there is about one Hermés store in all of Norway, but I would never shop at Hermés with the sole intention of building a relationship with a SA in order to being offered a bag. I see no issues in buying from a reseller; both bags scarves, Bracelets etc are easy to come by and often in perfect condition. Prices are much lower than they are in the Hermés shop. This just gives you more money to spend on other things! This week alone there are two Birkins and one Kelly for sale here, genuine and in perfect condition. So getting one isn't the hard part. Paying for it is a whole other issue. Personally I feel it's a bit much to spend $ 8 -12 000 on a bag, but if I was to spend this amount I wouldn't hesitate to get the bag for $ 8000 from a reseller rather than to spend alot on other items over a long periode of time and then add another $ 11000 on top of that. That's just me:smile:
Please share the reseller that sells perfect condition Birkins for $8K in the reseller thread! We would love to know (and I am in Norway often).