At what point would you consider the reseller route?

I honestly feel that in some countries, it is very difficult not to go the reseller route if you are looking for a specific bag and don't have enough money to become a VIP. say Hong Kong...it is hard if you want a specific highly desired seasonal color or limited edition style. so reseller route would be easier and cheaper than buying lots and lots of items... These days reseller prices are actually not that expensive since I think they are getting a lot of bags from Europe (which is much cheaper than local store). and so the actual price the resellers charge compared to the local store is not that different anymore. well worth it if you don't have a lot of other items you wanted to buy from H and you are looking for that specific bag.

With resellers, you are actually shopping for a bag. With H...you are shopping in the hopes you will get offered a bag you might like... I do understand why it would turn people off from H.
I have actually thought recently that I have seen a lot of bags around retail price as well. Or not as marked up as I thought they would be.Since I am relatively new to Hermès I just assumed maybe I didn't understand pricing as well as I thought I did.

Reactions: chkpfbeliever
Gris perle is so pretty. I fall into the camp that would rather have the exact bag I want than wait for it to show up in boutique. Also don't mind if a bag has been gently used, and if I am planning on using it a LOT and the price is fair, I don't even mind more than gently.
If my HG crossed my path at a good price I'd snap it up no matter who was selling it :heart:
Is there a thread on here that discusses "fair price" for the reseller market by any chance?

I have actually thought recently that I have seen a lot of bags around retail price as well. Or not as marked up as I thought they would be.Since I am relatively new to Hermès I just assumed maybe I didn't understand pricing as well as I thought I did.

I often wondered if we would start to see the price of B/Ks drop in the resale market. There is definitely a lot more supply and the stigma of buying a bag the resale route is changing.

My first Kelly was resale and it didn't bother me that it came from the reseller route. I love the colour , hardware and size and knew the chance of getting this at my local boutique was questionable. I have no regrets and will likely buy another one resale again. I love H scarves/shawls/stoles but I'm not into their jewelry and their shoes don't fit me well many times. I like some of the home collection. There are only so may scarves I can purchase, I doubt I will ever be VIP.

I often wondered if we would start to see the price of B/Ks drop in the resale market. There is definitely a lot more supply and the stigma of buying a bag the resale route is changing.

My first Kelly was resale and it didn't bother me that it came from the reseller route. I love the colour , hardware and size and knew the chance of getting this at my local boutique was questionable. I have no regrets and will likely buy another one resale again. I love H scarves/shawls/stoles but I'm not into their jewelry and their shoes don't fit me well many times. I like some of the home collection. There are only so may scarves I can purchase, I doubt I will ever be VIP.

The reseller market is not as crazy as it was 5-10 years ago. I still remember the time when almost every Birkin in the reseller market command outrageous prices compared to store-bought ones just because there was still the so-called "waiting list".

It takes A LOT, and by that I mean Pablo Escobar levels of H shopping, to be a VIP. :biggrin: There used to be two VIP members here who were active some 8-9 years ago and they said (albeit indirectly) that they had to buy a lot of H furniture, RTW and exotics in order to be VIPs.

But you don't really need that if you're not in the market for croc diamond birkins in secret colors (i.e. colors unavailable to the public). The best you can achieve is being an H valued customer, where you have access to placing special and bespoke H orders (http://lesailes.hermes.com/bespoke). That is if you think what you want hasn't been made yet, and is neither available in stores nor resellers.

Personally it doesn't matter to me whether it comes from the store or reseller. I'm not too crazy about the unboxing stuff going on. :smile:

The reseller market is not as crazy as it was 5-10 years ago. I still remember the time when almost every Birkin in the reseller market command outrageous prices compared to store-bought ones just because there was still the so-called "waiting list".

It takes A LOT, and by that I mean Pablo Escobar levels of H shopping, to be a VIP. :biggrin: There used to be two VIP members here who were active some 8-9 years ago and they said (albeit indirectly) that they had to buy a lot of H furniture, RTW and exotics in order to be VIPs.

But you don't really need that if you're not in the market for croc diamond birkins in secret colors (i.e. colors unavailable to the public). The best you can achieve is being an H valued customer, where you have access to placing special and bespoke H orders (http://lesailes.hermes.com/bespoke). That is if you think what you want hasn't been made yet, and is neither available in stores nor resellers.

Personally it doesn't matter to me whether it comes from the store or reseller. I'm not too crazy about the unboxing stuff going on. :smile:

Just curious, what do you mean by "the unboxing stuff?" I'm assuming you mean in the boutique, not unboxings here or on IG?

I totally agree the reseller market ain't what it used to be. Not just for Hermes, either -- it wasn't that many years ago that people could buy a bag from almost any of the premiere designers (the Prada Saffiano Lux comes to mind), wear it for 6 months, and then sell it without any loss at all. Now, I'm seeing those bags sold at 1/2 to 2/3 of their original price. It's not quite as extreme with Bs and Ks, but the market has softened a bit.

I think my SA considers me a "valued customer," -- even though I haven't bought a B or K from her, the years DH and I have spent more than I want to think about on everything from silk to china to easier-to-get bags like the Evelyne and GP. I could place an SO and am tempted sometimes, but between the retail price and the wait, I find I'm liking the hunt on the resale market better. So far, anyway! :P

Reactions: chkpfbeliever
Just curious, what do you mean by "the unboxing stuff?" I'm assuming you mean in the boutique, not unboxings here or on IG?

I totally agree the reseller market ain't what it used to be. Not just for Hermes, either -- it wasn't that many years ago that people could buy a bag from almost any of the premiere designers (the Prada Saffiano Lux comes to mind), wear it for 6 months, and then sell it without any loss at all. Now, I'm seeing those bags sold at 1/2 to 2/3 of their original price. It's not quite as extreme with Bs and Ks, but the market has softened a bit.

I think my SA considers me a "valued customer," -- even though I haven't bought a B or K from her, the years DH and I have spent more than I want to think about on everything from silk to china to easier-to-get bags like the Evelyne and GP. I could place an SO and am tempted sometimes, but between the retail price and the wait, I find I'm liking the hunt on the resale market better. So far, anyway! :P
I mean the act of opening the box from the store, untying the ribbon, taking out the wrapping paper, etc. It's a nice thing to do but not important for me. I pointed it out because you won't have that experience when buying from resellers. The best thing you can hope for is that the dustbag is included.

Reactions: gigi leung
I mean the act of opening the box from the store, untying the ribbon, taking out the wrapping paper, etc. It's a nice thing to do but not important for me. I pointed it out because you won't have that experience when buying from resellers. The best thing you can hope for is that the dustbag is included.

Got it. There are just so many unboxings now on Instagram, I wanted to be sure I understood what you meant. Yes, the unboxing in store is nice, but not at all essential for me. A nice temporary experience, but it's the bag that is forever!
You can always use a pillowcase as a dustbag, or send the bag to spa and it will come back with a new dustbag!

Reactions: allanrvj
The Hermes game is definitely not the easiest game to play. You need to build a great relationship with your SA and do not switch SA's often try to stick with one and try to go in and see your SA often.

I live in Canada so I'm not sure if the same rules apply everywhere. From my personal experience I visit my SA at least once a month...whether it is just to see what new inventory has arrived or just talk about what you are looking for. I normally buy something when I go in (80% of the time) even if it's something small because you need to build a profile within Hermes. They want to see that you are in love with their products/brand so buying a lot of small leather goods/scarves/shoes etc...will get you an Hermes Birkin/Kelly faster. By seeing your SA more often will make he/she remember you for when that "dream bag" you mentioned comes in... They will call you! You are only allowed one Birkin and one Kelly per profile/per year and once you buy that Birkin/Kelly, your profile gets cleared and you have to rebuild again by purchasing more things from Hermes!
This is why resellers can jack up the prices of Hermes birkins/Kelly because of how hard it is to get. It is definitely an exclusive bag and if you do not have the patience and time for the Hermes game.. At this point you want to take the reseller route.

Thank you for posting this information. I'm an Hermès bag newbie but I've been buying their Twillies for years. While I haven't expressed interest in their bags yet, my HG bag is the Bolide. Does one also need to build a repertoire with an SA in order to be able to buy a Bolide?

Thank you for posting this information. I'm an Hermès bag newbie but I've been buying their Twillies for years. While I haven't expressed interest in their bags yet, my HG bag is the Bolide. Does one also need to build a repertoire with an SA in order to be able to buy a Bolide?

As a general rule, bags that you can buy on H.com don't require that song and dance number with an SA, and that includes the Bolide. But I have heard of stores withholding Bolides from customers until they buy something else first, so it's kind of like a grey area. When you buy a bag, try doing it during the later half of the month so that SA's have already met their monthly quota (hopefully) and they won't ask you to buy something else to get the bag.

Actually I get all the packaging stuff that comes with the bag when I bought from the reseller except the shrink wrap. Most resellers are aware that the bag is worth more with everything in so it is like walking out of the Hermes store with the begging and time wasted to woo your store into offering you the bag.

Actually I get all the packaging stuff that comes with the bag when I bought from the reseller except the shrink wrap. Most resellers are aware that the bag is worth more with everything in so it is like walking out of the Hermes store with the begging and time wasted to woo your store into offering you the bag.

I think it depends on what type of reseller and bag you're buying. My Kelly's are all vintage so I'm glad that the dustbag, clochette and strap are all included. By the time it comes to me, I figure the box is long gone...

As a general rule, bags that you can buy on H.com don't require that song and dance number with an SA, and that includes the Bolide. But I have heard of stores withholding Bolides from customers until they buy something else first, so it's kind of like a grey area. When you buy a bag, try doing it during the later half of the month so that SA's have already met their monthly quota (hopefully) and they won't ask you to buy something else to get the bag.[/QUOTE

Thank you for your insight! This is very helpful to know. :smile:

Reactions: allanrvj
I am almost ready to go that route and waiting patiently for an offer. Well, about 8 months. Pretty long to me, or maybe I am just impatient. I think we get jaded by social media with all the reveals, but seriously these bags are not easy to get. At least that hasn't been my experience so far.

I am almost ready to go that route and waiting patiently for an offer. Well, about 8 months. Pretty long to me, or maybe I am just impatient. I think we get jaded by social media with all the reveals, but seriously these bags are not easy to get. At least that hasn't been my experience so far.
Even if they offer you something, it may not be your top choice and sometimes one feels hard to turn it down for fear that they will not be offered again.